Position tolerance check gage manufacturing

Hi
I want to manufacture a position tolerance check gage for checking 19 holes position on a plate simultaneously. Data is as under:
Hole diameter 10.9 +0.093
+ 0.05
Position toldrance call out is dia 0.06 M
What will be the size of gage pins?
How can we check the worst case condition?
Whether pins will b manufactured at Mac or mmc conditions?
Anyone with some idea please.
Thanks

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Can you give us more specifics of what you want to do? You are making a check fixture/gage and want to design it with a position check (such as a hole location)?

I want to make a combined gage with 18 gage pins to check all holes positions tol at same time or in one go.holes are refer from centre of plate in both X and Y axis.

How we can compare inner boundry of holes to be gaged with inner boundry of gage pins? What's the idea behindcorrect have manuf which will reject small number of border line parts?

Can you give us more specifics of what you want to do? You are making a check fixture/gage and want to design it with a position check (such as a hole location)?
Sir your valuable review is needed.
Thanks

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
This is not in my area of expertise so I can't personally help. I posted for clarification of your first post.

Proud Liberal

Quite Involved in Discussions
With a hole specification of Ø 10.900 +.093 / +.050 and a FCF similar to:
1542057350348.png

the pin size should be Ø 10.890
CALCULATION: 10.950 (hole @ MMC) minus .060 (position tolerance) = 10.890
  • Are there material modifiers on the datums?
  • Are all of the features you want to check the position referencing the same datum structure?
  • Can you post sections of the blueprint where the feature control frame(s) and datums are called out?

Last edited:
You are absolutely right.I want know what will have manufacturing tolerances for size and location of gage pins and corresponding holes in which those pins will gonna fit.
2-Will locating holes on plate will be made on zero PTOL to check PTOL of dia 0.06 M.
3-What will be fit tolerance of pins and holes.
20181113_065800.jpg
appologe for drawing hand sketch.

Proud Liberal

The position and perpendicularity requirements cannot be evaluated at the same time.

Can you clarify your datum structure? You have the datums drawn on centerlines. What feature(s) define the datums? If the holes are the datums, gaging will prove to be VERY challenging as the datums are designated as RFS. I don't suspect that reflects part actually works (but I'm just guessing).

Understanding the functionality of the part would be helpful in addressing your questions. Specifically, how is this part assembled with the mating part(s)? Are you using fixed or floating fasteners? Any details you can provide will help. If you prefer to handle your questions off-line, you can contact me at [email protected].

Proud Liberal

• Does your abbreviation PTOL stand for position tolerance?
    • Can you provide any insight as to how this plate functions? The sketch you provided seems incomplete. Are you willing to share a full part drawings (both this component and the mating parts)?
    • What does the assembly do that this plate goes into?
    • What is the manufacturing process to make this part? What's the sequence of operations? Are you making the holes first and then manufacturing the edges?
    • How is it fixtured (how are you finding the center of a ± 45 micron tolerance)? That tolerance alone would seem to provide its own set of challenges.

On Tuesday, November 13, 2018, frank2018> wrote:
Hi
As per drawing holes are datums at RFS.
    • Which holes? All 7 holes aligned on the "X" and "Y" centerlines? Datum designations are made to features not centerlines.
    • If datums are RFS, then gage cannot be built with MMC pins (fixed size). This is where your tolerancing scheme is questionable.
    • Sequence of datums should be AXY not XYA if the plate mounts against something (I'm assuming it does because of the perpendicularity callout).
Mating part is shaft with diameter Ø 12.900 +.030 / -.050. We want to make go/no go gage in which plate having 11 pins manufactured at VC size. We are making center pin a longer in length than rest of pins so that center pins guided the rest pins and check the position tolerance of holes.
Center pin will be floating and 04 in quantity with different outer diameters to cover the whole range because we have size tolerance in center hole.
    • If this is your attempt to deal with the RFS requirement of datums, the size tolerance of +.093 / +.050 would result in up to a 10+ micron clearance (worst case).
Matching pin will installed after measuring the center hope. Rest of pins are fixed.
Am I taking the datums correctly?

What is the standard method of giving position tolerance allowance for the gage manufacturer. Will the gage holes be form at zero PTOL with LMC or MMC modified?

We want gage will reject at our of tol parts but can accept some borderline accept parts as well.

Actually there are 2 numbers of plates at some fix distance having these holes located identical on both plates. We assure that mating part shafts will go through both plates at same hole positions.
    • If I understand this statement correctly, then you're going to need to set up projected tolerance zones as shown in the following example where ### indicates amount of projection. This feature control frame shows how I understand your assembly. If the plate(s) do not mount to anything, then the datum A reference should be removed from the feature control frame.
      1543934469002.png
    • It's really difficult to advise you without a better understanding of what you're trying to accomplish

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Using a Pin Gage to check True Position of Inline Holes, Design, Tolerance. Etc Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
J Position Tolerance Called to Datums with MMC Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
L GD&T Bonus Tolerance - Checking True Position of a Pierced Hole Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
J Datum B and C are each both vertical and horizontal - Tolerance of Position Question Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
optomist1 Tolerance of Position - Pattern of Holes at MMC - Datum Feature Reference Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
A Bidirectional True Position Tolerance Call-Out for Holes for Process Capability Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
G Clarification on Position with Bonus Tolerance - Feature Control Frame Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
J CMM Programmer position - Baltimore Maryland Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 0
T Question about Quality Department employee position titles Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 10
L Form-dependent position prevention control FMEA and Control Plans 1
B Minitab Type 1 Gage Study on True Position Question Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
M Informational EU – Official position on EUDAMED delay Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 4
F Position of Quality Manager - Can the organization's Quality Lead be shown as Quality Manager of the lab as well? ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
Proud Liberal Cp / Cpk on position using multiple MMC bonuses Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
F Conversion of coordinate dimension holes to position dimension Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
B Design of fixture checking including Position of hole and slot General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
CCaantley Stepping Down from my quality manager position soon After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 18
was named killer AS9100 FAIR - True Position hole out by .0011" on 50 parts AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
M Informational COCIR Position Paper Harmonisation of Standards for Medical Devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
B True Position Measurement Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
F Holes position inspection - Calculation of centre distance and plug sizes of a gauge Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
M Position paper Team NB Statement - Patient safety EU Medical Device Regulations 0
P True Position vs X and Y Dimensions Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
Q How to perform Process Capability for true position Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
Ron Rompen Ford Method - Position Capability with MMC Modifier Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 14
M True Position / GD&T - I'm staring at this drawing and I'm lost Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
O How to deal with Multiple Datums - Position with respect to Multiple Datum Feature Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
J New position and AS9100 audit is 1 month away- need advice AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
Proud Liberal Cpk on Position w/ MMC on Location and Size Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
E Position of a milled hex - Print Callout Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
N True Position of slot Boundary with MMC Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
J True Position Question Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
N Procedure for determining pinhole position in condom Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
M Measuring the True Position of a Cylinder's Pierce Point Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
M Offered Management Position - Limited Experience - Any Concerns? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 13
C Dose Mapping - How to relate back to Routine Monitoring Position ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
T Optical Comparator measuring of Position of a Threaded Hole Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
A Shall I apply for this job position (Quality Manager)? Career and Occupation Discussions 5
E Composite Position Calculation on a 12 X 4 Hole Pattern Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 13
M Manager IMS (9001, 14001, 18001) Position in Organisation Chart ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
V GD&T Interpreting Datums in Two Single Segmented Position Tolerances Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
M True Position and MMC (Dilemma Between Engineers) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
D Just starting out looking to get into a quality engineer position Career and Occupation Discussions 2
P MDD position on Final Inspection/Release Employee Experience/Training EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S Tab to circle True Position? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
S GD&T Callout for Diametrical True Position Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
S Moving to a New Company for a New Position Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 3
M Zero Tolerancing on True Position using MMC (Maximum Material Condition) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
L ASME Y14.5 Coaxial Feature Toleranced with Position w/o Reference Datum Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
M Surface Profile and True Position Question Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5