Possible Actions for Nonconforming Product besides issuing NC

R

ryuqina

hi.. Im am new in QA/QC. Recently my company received product from our supplier.however the product is out of spec.what can i do beside writing non conformance report to our supplier. If we decide to reject the product that's mean i just returned back the items and ask the supplier to compensate us or replace with improved design of the product?

Any suggestion?
thank you.

A

amit_rd

hi.. Im am new in QA/QC. Recently my company received product from our supplier.however the product is out of spec.what can i do beside writing non conformance report to our supplier. If we decide to reject the product that's mean i just returned back the items and ask the supplier to compensate us or replace with improved design of the product?

Any suggestion?
thank you.
Welcome & congratulations on winning half the battle by thinking beyond writing a NC report.

As you depend on the supplier for the quality of this part - I recommend a join exercise with the supplier (Off course depending on the criticality of this part) to understand

1st - Why it was not checked and identified at supplier location - This safeguards your organization as an interim measure
2nd - Why was it produced - More focus is to be given on that as it resolves the exact issue.

In today’s environment its important to work hands in hands with suppliers to improve their capabilities as it in turn saves you a lot of money.

harry

Trusted Information Resource
................. If we decide to reject the product that's mean i just returned back the items and ask the supplier to compensate us or replace ........................

Unless your organization is new, chances are you should have an existing procedure to take care of this situation somewhere.

1. If you have a QMS, look for it in the 'disposition of NC goods' section.
2. If you don't, someone in your organization may know about it. Check/ask and bear in mind a procedure can exist in unwritten form.
3. Check with Account/finance. Most will have goods return note or similar type of document with instructions on what to do and the necessary credit/debit.

S

ssz102

first, separating and identify the NG parts
second, if your company have a procedure that deal with the NG part, you can follow it;
if have not, you see if the defects are affect the function or using of product, or the defects is cosmetic, then decide the method of conduct; including return to supplier or sorting?

somashekar

Leader
Admin
Welcome & congratulations on winning half the battle by thinking beyond writing a NC report.

As you depend on the supplier for the quality of this part - I recommend a join exercise with the supplier (Off course depending on the criticality of this part) to understand

1st - Why it was not checked and identified at supplier location - This safeguards your organization as an interim measure
2nd - Why was it produced - More focus is to be given on that as it resolves the exact issue.

In today’s environment its important to work hands in hands with suppliers to improve their capabilities as it in turn saves you a lot of money.
Along with amit's points, find out if there were any gaps in the inputs that you provided to supplier, which might have also been a cause for the NC products.

D

Deval

Hello,
If you are sure that the products are nonconform, ask you finance department to block the invoice payment for this supplier. After, of course, try to solve together with supplier the problem and to avoid this problem for the future.:agree:
Deval

T

TRshepherd

You didn't mention if your are in the Automotive, Medical, or other supply chain.

Reactions are very different from one field to another and take for instance within the Automotive supply chain of GM the reactions will vary from location to location and whithin the supply chain it self from Tier to Tier.

The systems are more difficult the closer you are to the OEM.

For example here is a real life occurance this month with GM for a service part which they must have considered us a Tier 1.

We recieved a PRR (Problem Reporting and Resolution) from GM Plant X for missing components on an assembly.

We mold a Thermoset component that is assembled at another supplier then sent to GM service Plant.

The supplier that did the assembly went out of business and we were notified to send the part to GM Service.

GM uses a system call Covisint which has evolved over time from a materials management system to let's beat up the supplier system in some cases.

In fact it is difficult to follow the system without taking liability even before the investigation is complete. Guilty until proven innocent.

Of course their system was trying to order a component thinking it was an assembly - the aggravating fact is that this PRR is given to us every few years for an error in their system.

They eventually take the parts and say they will fix the error.

Taking time and money in wasteful manner over and over.

Sometimes a little common sense should prevail.

Sorry getting off track...

The common sense approach in my opinion is to confirm the non-conformance, contain the suspect product, perform the investigation with the suppliers help to reveal the root cause, develop counter measures with the supplier to reduce or eliminate the root cause - if the liability falls to the supplier work with the supplier to impliment cost effect methods to reduce the probabilty of a repeat.

Then write the ticket for liability.

Tom:2cents:

Top Bottom