Post Market Surveillance and Annual Product Review in ISO 13485

Schkund

Involved In Discussions
ISO 13485:2016 states the following:

8.5.1 General
The organization shall identify and implement any changes necessary to ensure and maintain the
continued suitability, adequacy and effectiveness of the quality management system as well as medical
device safety and performance through the use of the quality policy, quality objectives, audit results, postmarket
surveillance
, analysis of data, corrective actions, preventive actions and management review.

I work for a contract manufacturer of FDA Class I medical devices. We don't hold any CE marks, although a few of our customers do maintain CE marks for the products we manufacture. No pharma is involved in our facility. So what does ISO 13485 expect out of postmarket surveillance in the context of a company like ours? Does it involve anything beyond the maintenance of a complaint system, like clinical evaluations and/or annual product reviews? Sometimes I see postmarket surveillance referred to as something fairly simple, like a complaint system, but in other discussions it seems implied that postmarket surveillance also includes a manufacturer actively reaching out to the market and pulling data through surveys, clinical reviews, etc. and not just managing the complaints that come from the market.

So I guess, in essence, how does ISO define postmarket surveillance? Does it always include both the "passive" management of incoming complaints AND actively reaching out to the market to collect data, or can it ever simply be an actively managed complaint system for certain medical device industries?

I apologize if this seems like a question with an obvious answer, but I just can't clearly decipher the requirements based on one brief mention in ISO 13485 as part of a list!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Hi,

Your confusion is a symptom of a general conceptual flaw in the application of ISO 13485.

Initially ISO 13485 was intended only for what we refer to as "legal manufacturers" of finished medical devices, i.e. manufacturers who place finished medical devices on the market under their own name (regardless of whether they physically made them or not). Then, in the years following 2003, there was a creeping process where more and more business entities in the medical devices supply chain coveted, or thought they needed, some more prestigious certification than e.g. ISO 9001, and started seeking certification to ISO 13485, even though the standard's original intent and some of its elements were obviously N/A to them. Gradually it became so widespread that a lot of companies started looking for / expecting ISO 13485 certificates from their potential suppliers, where such certification didn't exist and wasn't expected only several years earlier, and was actually never quite intended.

Naturally, people noticed that something was wrong and so when the standard was revised in 2016 it was supposedly made all-encompassing and applicable to whoever had anything to do with medical devices. But IMO it wasn't really achieved because the standard wasn't really modularised and structured to allow orderly partial application in line with the nature of any specific implementing org.

If you ask me, it's a little ridiculous to expect a contract manufacturer who has no direct connection with the market to conduct postmarket surveillance, although it's definitely not impossible. It's simply redundant with what legal manufacturers do and these are much better positioned to do so, so it adds very little value. But no one asks me...

In the most general sense, postmarket surveillance covers everything that happens in the post-design-transfer phase. So you can focus on what happens in your own product realization processes (including logistics up until the next entity takes possession of the devices) and on your own customers, i.e. the legal manufacturer. Then supplement it with as much information you can get from your customers, or better still downstream from there, and you should be fine. PMS is supposed to be proactive, yes. For more refined definitions and guidance on PMS just search online for guidance documents - there are plenty.

Cheers,
Ronen.

Schkund

Involved In Discussions
Hi,

Your confusion is a symptom of a general conceptual flaw in the application of ISO 13485.

Initially ISO 13485 was intended only for what we refer to as "legal manufacturers" of finished medical devices, i.e. manufacturers who place finished medical devices on the market under their own name (regardless of whether they physically made them or not). Then, in the years following 2003, there was a creeping process where more and more business entities in the medical devices supply chain coveted, or thought they needed, some more prestigious certification than e.g. ISO 9001, and started seeking certification to ISO 13485, even though the standard's original intent and some of its elements were obviously N/A to them. Gradually it became so widespread that a lot of companies started looking for / expecting ISO 13485 certificates from their potential suppliers, where such certification didn't exist and wasn't expected only several years earlier, and was actually never quite intended.

Naturally, people noticed that something was wrong and so when the standard was revised in 2016 it was supposedly made all-encompassing and applicable to whoever had anything to do with medical devices. But IMO it wasn't really achieved because the standard wasn't really modularised and structured to allow orderly partial application in line with the nature of any specific implementing org.

If you ask me, it's a little ridiculous to expect a contract manufacturer who has no direct connection with the market to conduct postmarket surveillance, although it's definitely not impossible. It's simply redundant with what legal manufacturers do and these are much better positioned to do so, so it adds very little value. But no one asks me...

In the most general sense, postmarket surveillance covers everything that happens in the post-design-transfer phase. So you can focus on what happens in your own product realization processes (including logistics up until the next entity takes possession of the devices) and on your own customers, i.e. the legal manufacturer. Then supplement it with as much information you can get from your customers, or better still downstream from there, and you should be fine. PMS is supposed to be proactive, yes. For more refined definitions and guidance on PMS just search online for guidance documents - there are plenty.

Cheers,
Ronen.
Thank you so much for your response, Ronen. What you say makes a lot of sense and reflects what partially-formed conclusions I made based on what information I had. I certainly want our processes and procedures to be proactive (otherwise, what value is truly added to the company?), but like you said, at what point is it simply a copy of our customer's/design owner's own responsibilities? I suppose at this point it makes the most sense to develop a PMS that works for our facility functions (as you recommended) and, should an auditor or inspector grumble, defend its context to our company and our relationship with the customer.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Post Market Surveillance Package Example Wanted ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M Post Market Surveillance for Class II Medical Devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
H Post-market surveillance strategy EU Medical Device Regulations 1
B Procedures for Complaint Handling and Post Market Surveillance EU Medical Device Regulations 7
M Informational Creating a post market surveillance (PMS) system for medical devices – Part 1 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 7
E Post Market Surveillance Standard Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
T Post-Market Surveillance Plan - Requirements outlined in Annex III (1.1b) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
Y Post Market Surveillance Indicators and Analysis method EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Post Market Surveillance Plan Template EU Medical Device Regulations 6
F Vietnamese Post-Market Surveillance Requirements for a medical device in Japan Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
M Medical Device News Health Canada Notice of intent: Strengthening the post-market surveillance and risk management Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
K EU MDR - PMS (Post Market Surveillance) SOP - definition of "register(s)" EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S An auditor asked for a Post Market Surveillance Report ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
T Proactive / Preventive Post Market Surveillance question ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
M ISO TR 20416 Medical Devices - Post-Market Surveillance for Manufacturers Other Medical Device Related Standards 6
S Merging Post Market Surveillance and Complaint Handling ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
S Post Market Surveillance procedure/ SOP Medical devices Imported Legacy Blogs 0
A Industry best practice about Post-Market Surveillance and Risk Analysis ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 6
S Korean Post Market Surveillance and Recall Regulations Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
D What is your Post-Market Surveillance Strategy 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
S Understanding PMS (Post Market Surveillance) and PMCF (Vigilance and PMCF) Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
Z When to stop Post Market Surveillance 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
C How to write a Post Market Surveillance REPORT (not procedure) EU Medical Device Regulations 4
N MEDDEV guideline on Post Market Surveillance (PMS) EU Medical Device Regulations 8
Q Post Market Surveillance SOP - ISO 13485 Audit Nonconformance ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
T Post Market Surveillance Sample Procedure for Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 2
A Applicable Regulations for a PMS (Post Market Surveillance) System ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
J ISO 13485 - Procedure for a Feedback System (Post Market Surveillance) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
T Post Market Surveillance Requirements in Israel Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 17
L Lost in the Post-Market Surveillance Clinical Follow-up EU Medical Device Regulations 1
E Post Market Surveillance Guidelines or examples of procedures US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 7
SteveK Post Market Surveillance SOP - Word Version EU Medical Device Regulations 42
K Post-Market Clinical Follow-up as part of Post Market Surveillance? EU Medical Device Regulations 15
D 'Post market surveillance' versus 'Post Market Clinical Follow Up' EU Medical Device Regulations 18
J Post-Market Surveillance required by the EU's MDD vs. ISO 13485 Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 55
B ISO13485 Sterilisation Validation, Risk Management, Post Market Surveillance ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
M Differences in post market safety reporting for Combination Product Applicants Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
K Product (Device) Life cycle - Product Life AFTER the Post Market Phase Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
A Post-market clinical followup studies (PMCF) EU Medical Device Regulations 16
M PMCF (Post Market Clinical Followup)/ PSUR template EU Medical Device Regulations 8
S PMCF (Post Market Clinical Followup): Rationale for Exemption - Software Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 6
K Post Market Clinical Follow up and CE Marking for Class IIb medical X-Ray products CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
W Interesting Discussion PMCF (Post-Market Clinical Followup) vs PMCF studies EU Medical Device Regulations 36
C PMCF (Post Market Clinical Followup) Enrollment Sizes (Spinal Implants) EU Medical Device Regulations 5
A Post-market Clinical Studies of Orthopaedic (Revision) Implants EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S Verification and Validation of Post Market Design Change Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
S Post Market Clinical Follow up (PCMF) Clarification EU Medical Device Regulations 6
D Post-Market Compliance with Investigational AEs 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
L Surveys for post-market clinical follow-up EU Medical Device Regulations 1
D Is post-market clinical follow-up needed for IVD-MDs? MDD (Annex X, 1.1c) EU Medical Device Regulations 5