Potential "A" ranks/nonconformances

I

issmileplz

This request concerning "A" Ranks (level of serverity) may be difficult to satisfy. Nonconformances in our business (automobiles seatbelts) are considered to be an "A" rank when it concerns a safety issue or involves noncompliance with government regulations and requires immediate reponse and containment. In other words a show stopper !! With that in mind does anyone know how to predict potential 'A" ranks early on in the initial phases of development and prior to product design so as to prevent noconformances down the line. Information may be out there under a different title. I am aware that DFMEA and FMEA covers this requirement with a severity ranking of one (1) through ten (10). I am also familar with preventitive action as stated in QS 9000 and ISO 9001. I have searched through the forums to no avail. Would appreciate any help I can get and thanks in advance.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
D

D.Scott

Issmileplz

First - welcome to the Cove.

Trying to understand what you are looking for so I may be off here.

If you are looking for "pre-design", the only thing I can think of is Concept Planning. This would surely predict most "A" cases. Prior to that a "Needs Analysis" of past "problems" could lead to a product concept and would be a good place to identify "A's".

"Voice of the customer" is a possibility in identifying "up-the-line" severity ratings. QFD (House of Quality) is a good tool for understanding the customer needs and predicting the severity of a nonconformance.

Maybe this can get you started. Others will, I am sure, shed some light.

Dave

I

issmileplz

"A" Ranks (level of severity for critical failures)

I had only one response so I thought I would try to clarify what I am looking forr. This request concerning "A" Ranks (level of severity for critical failures) may be difficult to satisfy. Nonconformances in our business (automobiles seatbelts) are considered to be an "A" rank when it involves a safety issue or noncompliance with government regulations and requires immediate response and containment. In other words a show stopper !!
Does anyone know of a system on how to predict potential 'A" ranks early on in the initial phases of new business quotes, development and prior to product design so as to prevent these failures down the line. A sort of "Discover, Control, Resolve and Prevent system". We do identify a system on being reactive to an "A" rank.
An example of such a system would be to ensure the Supplier Manual specifies that suppliers have a process for identifying and resolving critical failures in their system to prevent it from getting to the customer. The customer in turn ensures that this requirements is audited for compliance during supplier audits. Information may be out there under a different title. I am aware that DFMEA and FMEA covers this requirement with a severity ranking of one (1) through ten (10). I am also familiar with preventative action as stated in QS 9000 and ISO 9001. Would appreciate any help I can get and thanks in advance. I have gone through the forums to no avail.

A

Al Dyer

Let's think of it this way;

They did a rewrite on the FMEA manual to further designate detection readings. And I see absolutely no problem with it.

They designated what type of inspection method would work with the detection methods.

If your detection is a 10 you are fu**ed. My problem would be that you have to get to level 4 on the ranking system before an "A" ranking is kicked in.

All they did is make it more difficult to give some guidelines that they could not understand or comply with themselves.

Now I want to know the definitive definitions of"

A- Error Proofed
B-Gauging
C-Manual Inspection

1: If it error proofed it still requires a human to monitor it.
2: If it is gauged, a human has to set, read, and verify the gauge.
3:If it is manual inspection I would worry about the gauges, not the users.

I know I'm a pain in the ***, but let's get real here. There is no such thing as 100% inspection that is 100% effective.

Look at number 7, "control is achieved with double vision inspection only". Many times I have been at work where I had double vision! I know that is not the intent, but what is intent???

#8: Control is achieved with charting methods, such as spc. "So we put a chart on the floor, who completed it and who interpreted it, and who reported it"?

#1: Impossible, otherwise there would not be close to a million recalls per year. Of course the fact that assembly plants do not perform incoming inspection would not come into play. We are all QS-9000 and make no mistakes.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Potential Equalization Conductor vs Functional Earth Terminal IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
G Self Assessment Audit from a new potential customer General Auditing Discussions 3
MrTetris Should potential bugs be considered in software risk analysis? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
T Potential Off-Label Use question 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
M Informational USFDA – Efforts to evaluate materials in medical devices to address potential safety questions Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Medical Device News TGA Consultation: Potential reclassification of active medical devices for diagnosis and patient therapy Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Medical Device News Letter to the health and care sector: update on preparations for a potential no-deal Brexit Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
G Options for failing a VDA POTENTIAL audit VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 2
S FMEA column column ''therblig motion'' for a given potential failure FMEA and Control Plans 12
MrPhish Should Potential Customer Complaint Outcome Define Registrar NC Rating? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
C Selecting potential internal auditors Internal Auditing 3
N PFMEA Potential Failure Mode for Weight FMEA and Control Plans 5
L "Potential" Essential Performance in IEC 60601-2-54 (Definition) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 9
kedarg6500 Potential Effects of Failure(s) FMEA and Control Plans 23
R Need Help on Analysis: How to know potential causality model from historical data Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 5
J Potential Customers Asking for EIRs / 483s when evaluating a CRO for future work US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
G ISO/TS 5.6.2.1 - Potential Field Failures on OEMs IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
P TS 16949 Clause 5.6.2.1 - Review of Potential Field Failures IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 16
J CRB (Certification Registration Body) Notification of Potential Escape AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
Marc LinkedIn Accused Of Secretly Selling Members Professional Data To Potential Employers World News 9
N Scouting Potential Suppliers - Strategy and Tactics Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
Colin Interesting Discussion Potential Issues for Auditing ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 84
B Providing a potential Customer with a Sample Medical Device in Brazil Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
Ron Rompen Wording of potential cause of failure in a PFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 8
F Supplier Quality Engineer Beginner - Potential Interview Questions Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
A Potential Equalization Conductors IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
GURU SDI VDA 6.3 Hand Book - Two sections for Potential Analysis VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 1
H Identifying Potential Automotive Suppliers before Developing New Products Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
T Attribute (Check Fixtures) - Breaking the Ice with Potential Customers Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
P Lessons Learned Identification - Potential Preventive Action Responsibilities Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 4
Hershal Metrology Careers - Potential good Paying Jobs in the Science of Measurement Field Career and Occupation Discussions 1
C List of Potential Hazards Definitions in Annex E of BS EN ISO 14971:2009 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
Mikey324 Assessing Potential Field Failures (TS 16949 Requirements) Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
K Observation - Potential Nonconformity - How to address this Audit Finding? General Auditing Discussions 9
8 Introducing a Balance Line - Identifying potential future pitfalls etc. Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
M Analysis of Potential Field Failures - Impact on Quality, Safety or the Environment Management Review Meetings and related Processes 10
Q Potential Field Failure as Mgmt Review Input for TS16949: How to meet the clause? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
hogheavenfarm Potential Employer Questions Reason for Leaving Career and Occupation Discussions 37
B Mining Nonconformance Data for Potential Missed Audit Findings Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
M Correlation between 2 Variables - Potential X's that might affect yield percentage Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
M PFMEA (Process FMEA - Potential Causes and Failure) - Operator's Role FMEA and Control Plans 11
E Tips on how to notify customers (and potential ones) of ISO Certification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
A Procedure to Identify Potential Emergency Situations and Accidents Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 4
S Should an auditor document potential nonconformities in the audit report? General Auditing Discussions 41
N Definition Nonconformity vs. Potential Nonconformity - Difference? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 3
automoto ISO TS 16949 Management Review Input - Potential Field Failures IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
Chennaiite FMEA Severity Rating for Potential Manufacturing Effect mentioned in the FMEA manual FMEA and Control Plans 9
J Google Offers Peek at Operating System, a Potential Challenge to Windows After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 2
J Sources of Potential Measurement Variation for Brinell Hardness Test Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
L ISO 17025 4.12: "...potential sources of nonconformities...shall be identified." ISO 17025 related Discussions 21