Powder Coat Painting Jigs (Hangers) for Shafts and Joints

Hello everyone!
shortly about me: I'm a Quality Manager in a Swedish company located in Poland. We have a 5 paint shops in Poland (and several plants in Europe).
Currently we're starting with new powder coating and KTL paint shop - created mainly for one of the biggest halfshaft producer in Europe.

I know the powder coating process, but I'm wondering what is your experience with below problems:
- how you're protecting the non-painted areas on the components (you're using silicone protectors. plastic protectors, metal one, or...?)
- how / who / where produce the jigs (hangers)? It's a little bit complicated how to hang the shafts for example, or joints or tulips (joint - the part on the wheel side, the tulip - the part in the gearbix - and shaft between :))

If you have any experience or pictures of the hangers for such kind of halfshafts elements, I'll be very grateful for any information.

Best regards
Piotr
Midroc Alucrom Poland

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
A quick "Bump". My Thanks in advanced to anyone who can help with this one.

Hi Marc,
You don't believe anyone can help me? :)
It's a bit complicated - I have experience with painting and jigs - but anyway I'd like to compare with our Colleauges how they are working with that issue - but there is still no answer.

We're starting with the new paint shop in Poland and any new solution is welcome:)

BR
Piotr

At our facility we have an automated powder coat line and depending on the location of the part or datum area we don't want painted we generally mask off with Green PET Tape. This removes easily after the powder cures and leaves seamless transition from masked/unmasked areas. If there is a slot or hole (machined features) we use ear plugs believe it or not. They work great and are extremely cost effective. They don't burn up in an oven and pop in place in seconds.

I will need more info on your powder set up. What is the size of the shaft, what is location that is technically not powdered, what is the weight and powder coat type to be applied, is the line automated, are you willing to perform this in multiple set ups?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L CQI-12 2nd Edition - Table D, question 2.1 - Powder Coat Painting IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
T Age Sensitive Materials - Identification and Traceability procedure - Powder Coat ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 24
O Freeze-Dried Powder Sterility Test using the Membrane Filtration Technique Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
S Powder Weight Proportion Measurement Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
Q Weighing Dietary Supplement Powder during manufacturing US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
S Glove Protein Content in μg/dm2 to μg/g and Powder Amount mg/dm2 to mg/glove Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
S Where to get GM 4348M Paint or Powder Coating Standard Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
C Approval and Release of a new Powder Coating - Which tests should be done? Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
M Looking for a Powder Coating Process Instruction Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
K Process Audit Checklist For Powder Coating Required Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 2
N FDA vs ASTM - Limitations of Powder Content in Gloves Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
T Control Chart - Salt Spray Test Hours - Powder Coated Parts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
A Does any friend have the Powder Coating Control for Aluminum Parts? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
M ISO 22000 - HACCP plan for ingredients like Egg Powder, Strawberry Flavour and Butter Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 2
A Powder Coating Chipping for Aluminum Die Casting Parts Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 11
B Fabricated Dry Powder Storage Tank - Initial Cleaning Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 5
V Creating a Cosmetic Inspection Specification for Powder Coated Painted Finished Parts Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
W Powder Coating Adherence to sharp edge of Steel Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
M What is the difference between "Powder coating" & "Polyster powder electropainting"? Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
S Need Polyester type Powder Coating information Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
J Powder Paint Supplier Audit Questions Checklist General Auditing Discussions 3
Q HACCP Milk powder/dried milk manufacturer auditing Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 1
sridharafep Process Capability Study for Electrostatic Powder Coating Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
M Brass, Bronze & Copper. Will their chips or powder be harmful to CNC Machines? Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
C Cost per Piece of Powder Painted Part Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
P Light Measurement Help - Work Instruction for Inspection of Powder Coated Surfaces Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
T DOE (Design of Experiments) for Powder Coating Thickness Six Sigma 9
T International Standard(s) for Instant Drink Powder Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
L Powder used to make neodymium magnets - GR&R for destructive testing Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
G Seeking: Powder Coating on Steel Test Method or Procedure Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 10
M Alloy Wheels - Seeking Paint Supplier - Powder Primer, Liquid Base, etc. Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
W Metal Finishing - Powder Coating and Painting QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 6
D Life of the part - How long should I keep processing data, powder, raw material tests Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
V Plating Supplier PPAP Revalidation Requirements - A-Coat GM 9984132 Plating Process APQP and PPAP 1
H E Coat (Electrocoat) Pin Hole Paint Defects - Help needed Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
S Engineering Material Specifications - Paint (zinc phosphate) and e-coat Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
F Capability studies in Process Plants - E-coat of galvanized flat carbon steel coils Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
R E-coat on Galvanized Steel parts - Visible and irregular texture on the surfaces Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
X Asking for e-coat inspection plan Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
L ELPO E-Coat Paint Test Requirements for GM Suppliers Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
A Robotic Sanding and Painting Process Validation Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
I Faster way to Tag Parts for Painting Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
P Tier 2 Part Approval where Painting is Outsourced APQP and PPAP 2
D Renault Painting Defect Acceptance Criteria Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
P What are the causes of painting defects? Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
S Which ISO Standard is needed for a Painting Company? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
J Is painting considered a Special Process as defined by ISO 9001 7.5.2? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
P Industrial Painting Inspector training and certification in India Professional Certifications and Degrees 1
H Painting Quality Requirement International Standard Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
A CATERPILLAR BGPP (Benchmarking Guide for Painting Process) Questionnaire Customer and Company Specific Requirements 4