Power and sample size for factorial design

F

farzad.esteghamat

Hey guys.
I have a series of data for a "2 level full factorial design" for 4 factors.

After analyzing the data, I want to run the POWER AND SAMPLE SIZE for that which requires standard deviation as an input data.
minitab help says: For 2-Level Factorial Design use the square root of the mean square error (MS Error).

My problem is to calculate square root of the mean square root in minitab. which tab/part of the program gives me the answer

Thanks for your help in advance.
If any further data is required, please inform me.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
Look for the ANOVA table and locate the row called Residual Error. Follow this row across to the column entitled Adj MS. This number is the MS Error.

You can also use the standard deviation from a capability study or from SPC charts if those are available.

Statistical Steven

Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
Unless you ran repeats your power will be very low. Even with repeats, DOE is not intended to look for small effects, but rather find larger effects so the power is low. FYI

:2cents:

Hey guys.
I have a series of data for a "2 level full factorial design" for 4 factors.

After analyzing the data, I want to run the POWER AND SAMPLE SIZE for that which requires standard deviation as an input data.
minitab help says: For 2-Level Factorial Design use the square root of the mean square error (MS Error).

My problem is to calculate square root of the mean square root in minitab. which tab/part of the program gives me the answer

Thanks for your help in advance.
If any further data is required, please inform me.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
Unless you ran repeats your power will be very low. Even with repeats, DOE is not intended to look for small effects, but rather find larger effects so the power is low. FYI

:2cents:
I think you mean replicates. In DOE there is a distinction between repeats and replicates.
Repeats are multiple measurements taken during the same experimental run.
Replicates are multiple experimental runs under the same factor levels.
Replicates increase statistical power and include setup to setup variation in the residual error.

Statistical Steven

Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
I think you mean replicates. In DOE there is a distinction between repeats and replicates.
Repeats are multiple measurements taken during the same experimental run.
Replicates are multiple experimental runs under the same factor levels.
Replicates increase statistical power and include setup to setup variation in the residual error.
You are correct that replicates increase statistical power (especially in Minitabs calculation). I am speaking of also getting a better estimate of the MSE by taking multiple readings (repeats).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E 99.5% - Quality Inspection Requirement (Power / Sample Size Selection) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
U Hypothesis Testing relationships - Is Statistical power controlled by the sample size Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
S Power Outage During Sample Conditioning - What Alternatives are Available? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
O Are power distribution units Multiple Socket Outlets (MSOs)? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
L Medical-grade power adapter labeling Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
A Calibration of Power Supplies AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
B IEC 60601 Cl. 8.4.3 - ME EQUIPMENT intended to be connected to a power source by a plug / Plug discharge IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
Proud Liberal Power Query to combine multiple tables of unequal number of columns Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
J Universal Power Cord with Adapters - IVD IEC 61010-2-101 CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 6
L External power supplies: How close does the safety report have to match the end-use application? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
L IEC 62368-1 / Electrical Energy Source vs. Power Source? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
B Need For BIS Standard Mark? Imported OEM's Power supply,Li-Ion Battery Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
I Containment procedure for parts after a power outage. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
P UDI labeling for power module IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
E IEC 61010-1 Dielectric strength test of inner power supply Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
S Power rating for medical devices in the US - Radiotherapy devices US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
T Is anyone working with N299.1 (Supply/service to nuclear power plants)? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 0
E IEC 60335-1 power input deviation - Table 1 Values Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
H External power supply - requirements in safety/EMC test? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
K Power point training slides on DOE (Design of Experiments) Wanted Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
Marc Renewables, led by wind, provided more power than coal in Germany in 2018 Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 2
S Responsibilities between government owner and private subcontractor of a power plant seeking ISO 9001 certification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
C Electrical Power Plant Supply failure in PFMEAs FMEA and Control Plans 10
H IEC 60601-1 Main Power Cord Requirement IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
M Infusion Pump Power Failure Alarm IEC 60601-2-24 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
F Power Cord Length Issue - Medical Device Electrical Safety IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
C ISO 9001:2015 - Non Applicable Design and Development (Power Plant Operator) Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
H Enclosed vs. Open-Frame Power Supplies - Overdoing it? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
J Pneumatic & Electrical Torque Tool - Calibration/Verification of 'Power Tools' General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
G Medical Device Power Inlet/Outlet Voltage Labeling IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
x-files [Thermal Power plant KOSTOLAC, SERBIA] Sucessfully certified to ISO 50001 Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 1
M Is IEC 60601 compliance possible when only generic power-supply is specified? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
U IEC 60601-1, Class 1 or Class 2 on emergency power system IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
A Power Traceability certificate for values for voltage, current and phase General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
D NQA-1 Standard Applied to Services rather than Items for Nuclear Power Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
R USB power between Medical Device Data Collection Device Component IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
P Medical Device Marking - Power Input Ports IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
I Reaction plan in case of power outage Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
B Detachable Power Supply Cable Connection ESD Clarification IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 7
K How to determine rated input power for the markings? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
R Selling of Medical Power Supply in Australia/New Zealand and Japan Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
M Multiple versions of device due to power connectors? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
R Connection to a generic separate power supply IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
F SIP/SOP - Mains Power and Medical Device Ethernet Ports IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 12
T EMC Tests - While certified power supply is part of device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
E Can I use CE marked Li-Ion external power bank for medical device? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
E Safety Requirements for Bioimpedance Measuring Device Power via USB Cable IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
Marc USA to insist on pre-flight mobe power probe Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 3
B IEC 60950 power supply MOOPs IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
M Calibration of a Power Meter Model Hm8115-2 (Hameg) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8