PPAP and the need to re-submit - Engineering change to a single component part

B

Bill Smith

We are in the midst of a discussion with our engineering department about the need to re-submit after an eng. change to a single component part if the change does not functionally or dimensionally affect the already "Approved-PSW'd" assembly.

The two trains of thought are:

1.There is no need to re-submit since the assembly is not affected.

2.We must re-submit reguardless of the impact on the final assembly since the change invalidates to approval of both the single component and assembly.

Please let me know what the opinions are.

Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Damn - Wish you had been in my class this morning. You would have gotten an ear full. Much more than I can write here...

See page 2 of the PPAP manual for a starting point. Which says fit/form/function is not particularly a reason for PPAP - more of a reason for an engineering change which a PPAP (partial or fuill) may be (will be) required. PPAP resubmission may be based on capability or other questions.

Your best thing here is to keep a close relationship with your customer's supplier QA activity and use common sense. Example: Movement of a piece of processs machinery can trigger a partial or full (only your customer can dictate what) PPAP. But - I have seen cases where it was shown thru a documented study that movement of the equipment did not affect capability or any other element so for that piece of equipment in that company they did not address equipment moves.

Common sense and a close relationship with your customer's supplier QA activity is necessary. Remember that you do not decide what to PPAP (full or partial or not at all). And, as pointed out above, reading page 2 of the PPAP manual suggests that if your operator gets up on the wrong side of bed you have to re-PPAP. Not true.

If I was doing an Enginering Change I'd touch base with the customer contact, maybe fax a copy of the proposed change and get feedback on whether or not they want anything from you. Then, even if it's just a reply in a telecon, I'd document the response to teh details - including whom and TIME OF DAY of the telecon... Getting paper out of the b3 is like pulling teeth.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Need to submit level 3 PPAP - New or Multiple Presses - Injection Molding QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 4
Q Need guidance new APQP and PPAP Process Improvement Software Idea Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 1
Casana Do PPAP's need Maintenance? APQP and PPAP 5
V We put Old plating spec on supplier prints and need to PPAP to Customer. APQP and PPAP 1
V Do I need dimensionals performed for PPAP for every revision change? APQP and PPAP 2
V Do I need to have Supplier Master PPAP Samples? I see in AIAG 4.1 APQP and PPAP 4
O PPAP Presentation - Urgent need for "selling pictures" APQP and PPAP 1
O Need help with a PPAP presentation - How PPAP will affect each department APQP and PPAP 3
B New to PPAP - Need help with Work Instructions APQP and PPAP 1
O Newbie at PPAP - Need basic PPAP Information APQP and PPAP 2
M Do you need to re-PPAP when moving a Job? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
P Need to resubmit PPAP for products using GE materials? APQP and PPAP 6
S Need help understanding Ford's Phase 0 PPAP APQP and PPAP 1
R Out of Specification Parts from Supplier. Do we need to re-PPAP? APQP and PPAP 7
A Need help with the process flow chart on my 4th edition PPAP! APQP and PPAP 5
J If you change the Control Plan do you need to resubmit PPAP APQP and PPAP 13
Ron Rompen Need help with Flowcharting the PPAP Process APQP and PPAP 6
G Need level 3 PPAP Forms APQP and PPAP 6
R PPAP - Appearance Approval Report - I need help APQP and PPAP 10
C ISO9001 vs. TS16949 - Do we still need to use PPAP, APQP, etc? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
N do you need to update PPAP due to a discrepancy APQP and PPAP 1
H To which tier do you need PPAP APQP and PPAP 7
K Updated MSA with the Annual PPAP validations APQP and PPAP 3
P Managing How PPAP Requirements are Communicated in the Manufacturing Process and to Suppliers APQP and PPAP 5
E Annual PPAP+ deviation request ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
K OEM specific requirements - PPAP was rejected by STA Customer and Company Specific Requirements 5
T PPAP for distributors? APQP and PPAP 1
A PPAP for Fire extinguisher APQP and PPAP 2
S PPAP Progress - Visual Status Board APQP and PPAP 0
C AS9145 Appendix D PPAP Approval Form APQP and PPAP 2
Pau Calvo PPAP customer requirements in the APQP APQP and PPAP 25
V 3 PQ lots mentioned as requirement in PPAP. Is this necessary? APQP and PPAP 2
B What is the role of Quality Engineer in APQP and PPAP APQP and PPAP 3
F How to submit PPAP without IMDS APQP and PPAP 10
GreatNate Excel PPAP Tracking templates or tool wanted APQP and PPAP 1
M Where can I find examples of PPAP? APQP and PPAP 6
R Process Specification - What is the name of this PPAP form? APQP and PPAP 15
I PPAP Assembly and Components Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
F PPAP Documentation Control APQP and PPAP 8
K PPAP Phases Vs PPAP Levels APQP and PPAP 2
R Plan to Volvo Cars for capacity verification in Phase 3 of PPAP Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
G Job interview - So I have to do a presentation on PPAP APQP and PPAP 16
J AIAG PPAP: 2.2.11.3 Acceptance Criteria for Initial Study (page 9, 4th edition) APQP and PPAP 1
M Level 3 PPAP submission of intentional defective parts APQP and PPAP 4
L Reasons to submit a new PPAP or notify the customer APQP and PPAP 3
eule del ayre List of Level 3 PPAP requirements for automotive suppliers APQP and PPAP 20
A New Supplier implementation - PPAP vs APQP APQP and PPAP 9
E Nissan (Renault) PPAP Acronyms (DNote , KFD, IR) APQP and PPAP 2
N How to deal with catalog parts suppliers who refuse to submit PPAP documents? APQP and PPAP 0
N PPAP material certificate date IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4