PPAP & APQP - What other sectors are Adopting/Adapting these Concepts?

TPMB4

Quite Involved in Discussions
I was wondering if PPAP is widely carried out in non-automotive sectors.

What similar APQP process is used in other sectors of industry such as more general manufacturing sectors? I am sure aerospace and pharmaceutical sectors have their own standards and APQP processes which are also quite strict and thorough, but what about other general manufacturers?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Staff member
Admin
Re: PPAP/APQP - What other sectors are Adopting/Adapting these Concepts?

You might be surprised...

In my experience, many industries borrow the APQP and PPAP processes for themselves. In Medical Device, it's not uncommon to find customers/suppliers using these otherwise automotive processes. FMEA might be more broadly applied, but they have them. Sure enough the tougher industries (med. dev., pharma, aero) have key quality assurance practices (e.g. validation, process validation) that are requirements, but in reality, these are requirements across all industries but less enforced by organizations or in unregulated industry, by government.

My advice: borrow good ideas from any industry and apply them to your own. Worry less about terminology unless it makes sense.

Before re-entering medical device, I would have not forced folks to execute design or process validation. But there is huge benefit in doing so, so even if I leave medical devices, I'll do it in the next industry I find myself in.

Kevin

TPMB4

I'm in and out of automotive sectors depending on the product so I do it for auto but don't for the others.

I have decided to PPAP a non-automotive product. Not a full PPAP just a simple borrowing of some of the principles such as PFMEA, Control Plan, Flow, packaging standard and possibly the dimension report. I guess there are other parts also of use but since this is for my own use not customers or colleagues I can't go ahead with it too deeply I think.

I do reckon PPAP and APQP from automotive sector is a good practise to get into for all products. I'm sure there are other things commonly done in one sector that if applied to another would be beneficial but being new to proper quality systems and procedures I don't really know what would apply well to my products.

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Staff member
Admin

I worked for Thule years ago, so we supplied the open market and our OEM partners. My boss back then wanted to only do QS9000 type activities when we addressed the OEMs but not for ourselves. Essentially, he wanted to live in two worlds (QMSs). This made no sense to me (good for them, but not us) and made it confusing to other parts of the business. His goal was to contain costs, but in every sense, he was making things more expensive with this thinking. My advice: trust your gut and move forward. Cost benefit is in the lower cost products and higher quality levels.

You win.

M

Murphys Law

If we get asked for a PPAP on a non-automotive device, we turn it down.

We charge higher prices for automotive devices and servicing, and PPAP documentation packet is included in that service.

S

silentrunning

Being a job shop we see a good variety of manufacturing disciplines. Many non automotive companies use PPAP.FMEA and APQP. We have many companies that have nothing to do with aerospace using AS9102 for 1st Articles. If you are in manufacturing today you better be up on all the methodology. As Kevin said, if it's a good idea, use it.

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator

We charge higher prices for automotive devices and servicing, and PPAP documentation packet is included in that service.
Can you afford to turn business down because of a justified PPAP request?

Be prepared, because more and more smart customers are pushing quality verification and validation expectations back up the supply chain.

Kales Veggie

People: The Vital Few

Are you sure this is a smart business decision?

If you do product planning correctly, you already have most of the PPAP documents.

TPMB4

TBH we are not hot on the formal side of things if they are not needed by customers. I would say we do most of the PPAP and APQP but it does not get formally documented. A lot of our processes are repeats of previous jobs in that only a few things change. Yes, we do have work documentations and specs but the formal control plan, PFMEA, flow, Packaging Standard, dimension report, etc does not get specifically written up.

I am sure there are many who are like us. Whether that is not good I can not say but we make the effort just like many small companies don't have the resources all the time to do what we would like to do in an ideal world.

I don't agree with saying no just because it is not specifically part of the business sector. Non-automotive customers can get the same service that automotive customers get if they want/need it. If not asked for they can't be expected to get it of course. I would prefer to follow a standard procedure for all customers whether or not they ask for it. Seems good practice to me. Aaah! One day I will get there.

M

Murphys Law

Yes, we have 1000's of part numbers so cannot afford the cost of servicing every request for a PPAP. We have multiple factories and subcontract factories.

When we release an automotive device, it requires more QS assessment, screening and qualification.

However, most of our portfolio is non-automotive and we do not formally require FMEAs, MSA and control plans on those. Not only that, but some products just aren't suitable for automotive. We need to control these as we gave had automotive customers attempt to buy a COTS device and expect to get automotive servicing but we've had to tell them that they'll only get IS0 support regardless.

Now that is not to say we will not have dialogs with our qualified customers. We will give out qualification reports and support to some level how we make things in a customer meeting but no PPAP for COTS devices.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Pau Calvo PPAP customer requirements in the APQP APQP and PPAP 25
B What is the role of Quality Engineer in APQP and PPAP APQP and PPAP 3
A New Supplier implementation - PPAP vs APQP APQP and PPAP 9
kedarg6500 APQP & PPAP for Process Industry - Concept for Waste to Energy Program APQP and PPAP 0
H Prerequisites for AIAG APQP/PPAP Certification Exam Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
S APQP, PPAP and PSW Question from a Rookie APQP and PPAP 4
M APQP and PPAP for Beginners - Where do I start? APQP and PPAP 48
W Certification on AS9100C - FAI or PPAP? Project Management or APQP? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
I Any recommendations on software for managing the APQP, PPAP, PFMEA, Control Plan etc? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
Q Need guidance new APQP and PPAP Process Improvement Software Idea Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 1
T APQP and PPAP in an AS9100 plant APQP and PPAP 2
B Frequently asked PPAP, FMEA, SPC, MSA, APQP & 7QC Tools questions for Interviews Career and Occupation Discussions 1
I APQP and PPAP Training Documents wanted Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
P Has anyone ever heard of "Quality Gates" (Volkswagen term?) - APQP and PPAP APQP and PPAP 11
V Latest revisions of Core Tools Manuals from the AIAG (APQP, PPAP, FMEA, SPC and MSA) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
C What are APQP and PPAP? APQP and PPAP 36
S Are the AIAG document (FMEA, PPAP, SPC, MSA, APQP) guidelines or requirements FMEA and Control Plans 6
P Do Suppliers hire PPAP/APQP contract Auditors - Can I make a living as one? APQP and PPAP 3
W Global Phased PPAP and APQP Training - Please Review and Comment Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 8
M Information about APQP, PPAP and MSI for TS 16949 implementation (student) APQP and PPAP 1
Q Simple overview of the contents of APQP and PPAP APQP and PPAP 2
A APQP/ PPAP Manual Revision Control APQP and PPAP 2
I APQP Process Review and the Purpose of PPAP APQP and PPAP 13
M Software to Handle All "Quality" Processes? APQP, Control Plan, FMEA, MSA, PPAP, etc. Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 1
D New to PPAP and APQP - Don't really understand what all of it means APQP and PPAP 7
J When do we do APQP, PPAP etc for both OEM and aftermarket APQP and PPAP 11
W Does ISO 9001:2000 require the use of AIAG (automotive) APQP, PPAP, etc. Manuals? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
T Share your APQP or PPAP package! Attached is a PPAP template APQP and PPAP 44
M APQP & PPAP - Does Toyota follow the APQP and PPAP process? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 5
U PPAP and AQAP Training - I really want to learn PPAP, APQP, and QS-9000 in detail Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
J What is difference between the goal of PPAP with APQP, thanks APQP and PPAP 4
Howard Atkins GM no longer requires the use of Powerway for APQP and PPAP Customer and Company Specific Requirements 4
I Changes in APQP, MSA, PPAP, FMEA Requirements APQP and PPAP 5
Q Looking for a good PC program for APQP & PPAP packages. Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 7
L Does the APQP process end with the approval of the PPAP? APQP and PPAP 5
Q Software solution to manage APQP and PPAP Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 3
C APQP, PPAP, FMEA, SPC Procedures? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
Marc Future of APQP and PPAP in Doubt? 2005 Update APQP and PPAP 26
A APQP audit last week with Visteon and Ford - They want a PPAP Booklet APQP and PPAP 4
Raffy How do I start my APQP and PPAP Procedure? APQP and PPAP 1
H Does Powerway's APQP - PPAP fulfill TS16949 document and data control requirements? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 2
CarolX Value of APQP and PPAP for Small Volumes APQP and PPAP 7
C ISO9001 vs. TS16949 - Do we still need to use PPAP, APQP, etc? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
D APQP - No two companies conduct their APQP/PPAP activities exactly alike APQP and PPAP 2
S What if none of the customers want APQP and PPAP APQP and PPAP 11
D QS-9000 Implementation: APQP / PPAP Documentation QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 3
P Simple PPAP / APQP Step-by-Step Process APQP and PPAP 3
D QS9000 third edition - Do APQP, FMEA and PPAP have any significant changes QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 7
M Looking for PPAP (APQP) type software for our company APQP and PPAP 5
T Short Lead Times - APQP and PPAP - Commercial Product Mix APQP and PPAP 10