PPAP Checking aids, what to do exactly?

E

Einsiferum

I'm rather new to AIAG requirements but have to prepare an easy to understand and reference PPAP in-house guideline for submissions for AIAG member customers.
So, I use the AIAG PPAP manual as the main base, of course.
However, my coworkers an I can't just not come to a clear understanding of what the PPAP manual requires suppliers to do in the Checking aid requirement.
I have researched as much as I can online, and every company seems to have slightly different requests for these item.
So, in other words, our questiosn are:
1) What exactly and concretly are Checking aids? the manual says "part specific" fixtures, gauges, models, templates, mylars, etc.
Meaning that if a fixture is used specifically for that part to be inspected, that fixture constitutes a checking aid. That is our understanding.
2) What to submit exactly?
The PPAP AIAG manual says "submit ... any soecific checking aid", does it really mean to submit the actual fixture, gauge, template, mylar, etc??
AIAG also says to have teh checking aid meet the parts dmensional requirements, provide them with preventive maintenance and perform MSA.
Researching about it I have found many companies request the checking aid prints, and it dimensional conformity to such prints and or the parts dimensions, and to include a picture of the checking aid.
So, in sum we have compilled that for this requirement we need to submit:
1. checking aid prints
2. checking aid conformance with its prints dimensional reports and/or with the parts dimensional requirements.
3. evidence of chekcing aid being included in preventive maintenance
4. MSA of checking aid
5. checking picture
6. checking aid itself being submitted.

Is this true??

Thank you.

Jim Wynne

Super Moderator
Welcome to the Cove. :bigwave:

when Harley-Davidson adopted the AIAG PPAP process in 1999, I was involved in establishing the requirements for suppliers. As a part of that I wrote a guidelines document that described H-D's expectations. I've attached the checking aids section. While it describes generic requirements, the expectations of individual customers vary widely, so it's always best to check for customer requirements regardless of what the PPAP manual says.

Attachments

E

Einsiferum

Your file is very clear and easy to understand, wonder why AIAG can't simply explain it like that.
The information you provided answers all our questions and leaves us with a very clear idea of what to do moving forward.
I can't thank you enough! Thank you!

Jim Wynne

Super Moderator
You're welcome--I'm glad it helped. :bigwave: Keep in mind that there will be customers who'll throw curveballs, and you need to make sure you understand what they expect to see.

P

Pat McGhie

Welcome to the Cove. :bigwave:

when Harley-Davidson adopted the AIAG PPAP process in 1999, I was involved in establishing the requirements for suppliers. As a part of that I wrote a guidelines document that described H-D's expectations. I've attached the checking aids section. While it describes generic requirements, the expectations of individual customers vary widely, so it's always best to check for customer requirements regardless of what the PPAP manual says.
Jim, I was just following along and wanted to say your reply and document was one of the best I ahev seen regarding checking aids!

Thanks

Pat in NH