PPAP customer requirements in the APQP

Pau Calvo

Starting to get Involved
Hello,

I am facing a problem with the customer requirements requested for a PPAP and I seek for your experience and opinion that how to proceed. I have been recently "awarded" with this responsibility and I am a bit lost.

We are developing a project that have been offered to the customer only with the PPAP dimensional studies, now the customer ask for dimensional studies for FoT parts.
When we tell our customer that that was not planned and should be scheduled he argue that is part of PPAP.
We answer that we need the sampling requirements document to have all the requirements since it was not send with the awarding note.
Then they send a FoT sampling requirement that won't be valid for PPAP samples.

As far I always understand FoT are not part of PPAP and customer should deliver a single sample requirement for the whole APQP.

I am mistaken? How may i argue that the procedure of the customer is not according APQP?

Thank you for your help.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
Not quite sure what "FoT" parts are. But what PPAP standard are you working under. The AIAG requirements are pretty clear, but that is automotive.

Pau Calvo

Starting to get Involved
FoT stands for First of Tool, the first parts produced with a not homologated tool.
We work under AIAG requeriments and my customer is a big Tier 1 automotive company.
That's why I quite not understand it.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
In my experience, once you get below the OEMs, this whole discussion becomes a negotiation between your customer and your organization. I have seen the resolution go either way depending on which organization had greater leverage. If you are a single or sole source, or this customer is a small portion of your business, the leverage is on your side and you can judiciously push back. If the customer is a large portion of your business, or has many alternate suppliers available, you have few options other that agreeing to comply.

1578585652141.png

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
If they are the first parts off the tool, then yes they should be submitted as samples with all the requisite paper work. They are supposed to come from a significant production run. The "point" behind PPAP is to verify that you're ready to run full on production.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
FoT stands for First of Tool, the first parts produced with a not homologated tool.
We work under AIAG requeriments and my customer is a big Tier 1 automotive company.
That's why I quite not understand it.
Does your customer have specific requirements that range beyond the basic AIAG requirements? If so, were you made aware of them? Have you checked their purchase order for references to customer-specific requirements? You say that you've provided PPAP "...only with the PPAP dimensional studies..." What does this mean?

Pau Calvo

Starting to get Involved
Does your customer have specific requirements that range beyond the basic AIAG requirements? If so, were you made aware of them? Have you checked their purchase order for references to customer-specific requirements? You say that you've provided PPAP "...only with the PPAP dimensional studies..." What does this mean?
As far as I have been informed, this requeriment was not in the purchase order, anyway customer did not send any global schedule for the project.
We, as standard, only include dimensional reports for the PPAP samples in the offer of the project. Further dimensional reports have to ordered outside the main order of the project. We proceed that way to avoid that our customer could keep asking for dimensional reports and overrun our metrological department.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
As far as I have been informed, this requeriment was not in the purchase order, anyway customer did not send any global schedule for the project.
We, as standard, only include dimensional reports for the PPAP samples in the offer of the project. Further dimensional reports have to ordered outside the main order of the project. We proceed that way to avoid that our customer could keep asking for dimensional reports and overrun our metrological department.
Did you do dimensional reports in qualification of the tooling?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Y Customer Specific PPAP Level 3/4 Requirements - Fastener Manufacturer APQP and PPAP 2
S Can PPAP be submitted when not all customer requirements can be met? APQP and PPAP 5
H Requirements in TS for PPAP - Full PPAP or as per Customer Requirement? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
M DaimlerChrysler (DCX) Customer Specific Requirements for PPAP 4th Edition Customer and Company Specific Requirements 8
Sidney Vianna Chrysler Customer Specific Requirements For PPAP 4th Edition IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
antoine.dias Customer Specific Requirements and PPAP submissions APQP and PPAP 13
C PPAP required by Customer not the same as the AIAG's PPAP Manual Requirements APQP and PPAP 2
L Reasons to submit a new PPAP or notify the customer APQP and PPAP 3
P Automotive Customer asking PPAP for catalogue parts IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 16
P Customer wants a Part Material Change - New PPAP required? APQP and PPAP 3
G Customer wants PPAP on Old Parts to New Standards APQP and PPAP 8
N Customer wants a PPAP/PSW on some Prototype Parts APQP and PPAP 6
B Should I Request/Submit a PPAP from/to a Supplier/Customer for only Repackaging Parts APQP and PPAP 7
T PPAP - Complaint from a Tier One customer concerning Product Dimension IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 26
T Customer requires Internal Specification to be met on PPAP APQP and PPAP 7
J Customer Complaint - PPAP - Issues not called out on the print APQP and PPAP 3
V Submitting Supplier Information in Customer PPAP APQP and PPAP 2
Stijloor GM (Supplier) and PPAP Requirement 3.1 Customer Notification APQP and PPAP 5
C AS9100 Customer requiring PPAP APQP and PPAP 3
W PPAP MSA for each new customer IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
S Guidance to prepare and submit a Level 3 PPAP to a Customer APQP and PPAP 6
V PPAP to Customer with Deviation Request APQP and PPAP 4
K Looking for Ideas to Track Customer Requests and PPAP Data Packages APQP and PPAP 4
J Customer PPAP Approvals - Internal PPAP Possible? APQP and PPAP 7
V We put Old plating spec on supplier prints and need to PPAP to Customer. APQP and PPAP 1
V Can't PPAP to Customer because a Supplier was Re-Sourced APQP and PPAP 2
R Customer using their own version of the AIAG PPAP Forms APQP and PPAP 5
E PPAP PSW Approval: Customer Drawing or Supplier Drawing APQP and PPAP 4
I Repair and Service Facility - Customer wants PPAP for Refurbished Equipment APQP and PPAP 3
P ISIR vs. PPAP - Customer is requesting an ISIR Cover Sheet according VDA Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
Mr.Happy PPAP including FAI Parts - Customer is requiring 5000 measurements APQP and PPAP 15
B Cost for PPAP - Customer pays for samples and PPAP documentation from supplier APQP and PPAP 8
D Outsourced Material - Customer who is asking us for a level 3 PPAP APQP and PPAP 8
S PPAP for VW QPN - PPAP documentation for Volkswagon customer APQP and PPAP 4
S Customer PPAP notification and submission for a Change APQP and PPAP 2
P PPAP Approval - Customer approval of PSW (part submission warrant) APQP and PPAP 5
H How to refuse PPAP submission to a customer? APQP and PPAP 7
P PPAP submission for a new customer of an existing product APQP and PPAP 7
M PPAP Review Updated yearly but not send to Customer - Is it Right? APQP and PPAP 12
M How can I say no to a customer PPAP request APQP and PPAP 14
D Level 3 PPAP for Customer - We are outsourcing the processing FMEA and Control Plans 6
R PPAP customer notification - what do you think? APQP and PPAP 12
5 PPAP Request from our Customer for an Assembly we Purchase APQP and PPAP 9
S Supplier requesting Customer PPAP submission APQP and PPAP 5
kedarg6500 PPAP for Continuous Process like Copper Wire Enameling but SWG differs per customer APQP and PPAP 3
M Customer Notification Rules under PPAP 3.1 APQP and PPAP 2
K PPAP per QS-9000, rev.4 - Customer rejected our normal PPAP APQP and PPAP 3
R Engineering changes for customer notification - PPAP Submission APQP and PPAP 5
S PPAP on Prototype tooling? Producing components for internal customer (assembly) APQP and PPAP 5
C Notice Received from Customer Regarding PPAP's & FAIR's APQP and PPAP 8