PPAP for Continuous Process like Copper Wire Enameling but SWG differs per customer

kedarg6500

Quite Involved in Discussions
dear folks

please help me to understand how PPAP is to be implemented for contineous process like Copper wire enameling where basic process is the same but SWG differs as per customer requirement & hence coating passes are different

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Leader
Admin
Re: PPAP for Continuous Process

I do not see there is a problem.
Each part has its own control plan, different passes etc.

The documentation is according to the process performed

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin

dear folks

please help me to understand how PPAP is to be implemented for contineous process like Copper wire enameling where basic process is the same but SWG differs as per customer requirement & hence coating passes are different

As Howard said, many PPAP items will be the same for the entire family, such as material tests, physical tests of the coating, PFMEA, Control Plans, etc. Some will be SWG specific such as dimensions, physical tests of the wire, capability studies, etc.

It would be wise to clarify this in advance with your customer. For example, some customers might allow representative capability studies for the extreme SWG sizes where another customer would require studies for all SWG sizes.

A special note on continuous processes. A continuous process such as this is likely to exhibit autocorrelation for many product characteristics. You should perform an autocorrelation study to determine whether autocorrelation actually exists and over what time period.

This time period should then be used to establish the sampling frequency for SPC and capability studies.

Last edited:

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

It would be wise to clarify this in advance with your customer.

This is the key. When it comes to any kind of customer approvals, you need to know for sure what the customer wants before you do the work.

Note for those who may be wondering: "SWG" stands for "Standard Wire Gauge" and denotes the standard diameters of wires used in electrical/electronic applications. Thus the OP is asking about applying the same process to wires of different diametric sizes.

Top Bottom