PPAP for Spare Parts - Low Volume - Occasional Production

P

Peter Kraft

:bonk: We are going to close a manufacturing plant and transferring all the parts which have been produced there to another location.
It is clear that for the serial parts PPAP must be done.
Anyway, there are about 60 part # of spare parts.
Is it necessary to "PPAP" spare parts as well? Sometimes we do not deliver spare parts during one year that would mean, that we have to PPAP them almost with every delivery.

Additionally, depending on the quantity ordered by the customer, spare parts will be produced on one line or on another.

So, what have we to do with the spare parts?????

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
A

A. Stuart Dyer

I think the prudent thing to do is start with your customer rep. and ask what they require. I suspect you will probably have to re-submit a warrant and update your PPAP/APQP package.

More than likely they won't want all the info other than the warrant, but the other ifno needs to be on file since there really was a process changes per PPAP requirements.

Al...

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
I know this is an old thread, but out of curiosity has anyone run into this and if so what's the scoop?

The fortunate thing with TS is that you have a lot more leeway here. The ultimate question would be: What does the customer require? If the customer want's a full PPAP, then that is what you will have to do. If the customer wants a Level 1 PSW, then that is what you will have to do.

That is if you still want to deliver parts to that customer.

bpritts

Involved - Posts
My clients have been involved in 2 similar situations in the last 18 months.
In one case the customer insisted on full PPAP, no exceptions, etc.; in
the other, a different customer allowed a "blanket" changeover where
full PPAP's were done on several representative part numbers and they
waived the balance of the PPAP's.

I think, though, that customers in general (at least the Big 3 and the big
Tier 1's) are less likely to grant waivers. At the same time, more and more
suppliers are quoting service charges ($1,000 seems to be a common figure)
for doing the PPAP. This started with the fastener industry but is now spreading. I'm all for this; it allows the customer to choose, and
pay the freight for their choice.

Brad

B

Boing

Note 2 on front page says "A customer can formally waive PPAP requirements for a supplier. Waivers for applicable itmes will be documented by the customer"

I went through a very similar situation as this a few months ago.

We approached it as first of all asking customer if they required PPAP and if so what level, the ideal level being 1 which is warrant only !

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Updated MSA with the Annual PPAP validations APQP and PPAP 7
P Managing How PPAP Requirements are Communicated in the Manufacturing Process and to Suppliers APQP and PPAP 5
E Annual PPAP+ deviation request ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
K OEM specific requirements - PPAP was rejected by STA Customer and Company Specific Requirements 5
T PPAP for distributors? APQP and PPAP 1
A PPAP for Fire extinguisher APQP and PPAP 2
S PPAP Progress - Visual Status Board APQP and PPAP 0
C AS9145 Appendix D PPAP Approval Form APQP and PPAP 2
Pau Calvo PPAP customer requirements in the APQP APQP and PPAP 25
V 3 PQ lots mentioned as requirement in PPAP. Is this necessary? APQP and PPAP 2
B What is the role of Quality Engineer in APQP and PPAP APQP and PPAP 3
F How to submit PPAP without IMDS APQP and PPAP 10
GreatNate Excel PPAP Tracking templates or tool wanted APQP and PPAP 1
M Where can I find examples of PPAP? APQP and PPAP 6
R Process Specification - What is the name of this PPAP form? APQP and PPAP 15
I PPAP Assembly and Components Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
F PPAP Documentation Control APQP and PPAP 8
K PPAP Phases Vs PPAP Levels APQP and PPAP 2
R Plan to Volvo Cars for capacity verification in Phase 3 of PPAP Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
G Job interview - So I have to do a presentation on PPAP APQP and PPAP 16
J AIAG PPAP: 2.2.11.3 Acceptance Criteria for Initial Study (page 9, 4th edition) APQP and PPAP 1
M Level 3 PPAP submission of intentional defective parts APQP and PPAP 4
L Reasons to submit a new PPAP or notify the customer APQP and PPAP 3
eule del ayre List of Level 3 PPAP requirements for automotive suppliers APQP and PPAP 20
A New Supplier implementation - PPAP vs APQP APQP and PPAP 9
E Nissan (Renault) PPAP Acronyms (DNote , KFD, IR) APQP and PPAP 2
N How to deal with catalog parts suppliers who refuse to submit PPAP documents? APQP and PPAP 0
N PPAP material certificate date IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
P Paint shop vs PPAP requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
N How to resolve discrepancies in Level 3 PPAP supplier dimensional reports? APQP and PPAP 11
Sidney Vianna AS9100 News PPAP in the Aerospace Sector - What is it? AS9145 - Requirements for Advanced Product Quality Planning and Production Part Approval Process AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
D PPAP a Rebranded Purchased Product (we don't manufacture) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
E Solder thermal profiles for PPAP - Automotive IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
P Automotive Customer asking PPAP for catalogue parts IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 16
V PPAP documentation - Submission required in English APQP and PPAP 3
H Informational What is PPAP (Production Part Approval Process)? APQP and PPAP 26
J What level PPAP for 5 critical parts? APQP and PPAP 8
S PPAP Levels compared to Interim Class APQP and PPAP 1
E PPAP Workbook 4th APQP and PPAP 3
N Can you use parts from Run at Rate to use in your PPAP? APQP and PPAP 4
N Who shall manage PPAP process? APQP and PPAP 4
kedarg6500 APQP & PPAP for Process Industry - Concept for Waste to Energy Program APQP and PPAP 0
T PPAP differences between TS16949 and VDA APQP and PPAP 1
S Looking for a PPAP PSW, Part Submission Warrant, in Chinese APQP and PPAP 5
H Prerequisites for AIAG APQP/PPAP Certification Exam Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
P Customer wants a Part Material Change - New PPAP required? APQP and PPAP 3
H I've been asked to look for PPAP Classes Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
M Annual Layout requirements for PPAP/Control Plan FMEA and Control Plans 6
H Require PPAP Before Qualifying Vendor? (Packaging) APQP and PPAP 2
H Manufacturer vs. Supplier - Which is which on PPAP Forms APQP and PPAP 3