PPAPs for job shops that produce short run assemblies (i.e 100 to 10,000 units)

T

Thom Trimborn

While I understand the applications of PPAPs in contract manufacturing, I am curious if there is a scaled down version for job shops that produce short run assemblies (i.e 100 to 10,000 units). I would appriciate any guideance in this matter.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
B

BWoods

Originally posted by Thom Trimborn:
While I understand the applications of PPAPs in contract manufacturing, I am curious if there is a scaled down version for job shops that produce short run assemblies (i.e 100 to 10,000 units). I would appriciate any guideance in this matter.

As you can see in the standard, the only senerio close to what you discribe is for the trucking industry. I agree that you have to have your customer "buy in" to your plan.

Also if you have families of parts, you may try the idea of doing PPAPs on families rather than part numbers. That is the way we do it.

J

Jim Biz

Annual usage as far as I know is not a factor. No scaled down versions in my expierience we folow PPAP individual customer instructins for designated level 1 2 or 3 parts (unless you can negotiate something directly with your customer)

We have completed PPAP documentation for as few as 3 parts -1 time run prototypes... then gone back & upgraded the same documentation forms & formats for each change as they come up...

Regards
Jim

[This message has been edited by Jim Biz (edited 13 June 2000).]

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Just wondering if anyone currently visiting here is from a job shop producing such small 'lots'. If any of you are in this scenario, what are you doing about PPAPs these days under TS 16949??

G

gaugefixer

Marc said:
Just wondering if anyone currently visiting here is from a job shop producing such small 'lots'. If any of you are in this scenario, what are you doing about PPAPs these days under TS 16949??
We are doing everything required under the standard; generally because the auditors will get us otherwise. The customers don't care whether you have GR&R and everything else-they just want good parts on time. Imagine making 100 parts a year: The paperwork can take more time than making the parts!
TS16949 is not friendly to small run manufacturers at all, it's definitely a burden.:mad:

Raffy

Quite Involved in Discussions
I agree, our personnel in our manufacturing company is less than 25 persons, and we are having some problem in documenting the TS16949 requirements. Not to mention, the APQP requirements, we are do not have product design responsibility.
My concern are the following: How are we going to document the APQP requirements:
1. Packaging Evaluation – Do we need a procedure on how are we going to evaluate packaging? What does packaging evaluation means in APQP? Is this a drop test requirement? Puncture test? Shear test? Please advice.
2. Floor Plan Layout – Do we also need a separate procedure on how to create a layout or can we just prepare a plant layout of the manufacturing process? Please advise.
3. Characteristics Matrix – basically, I’m having some confusion with regard to this, because what I understand these are customer dictated characteristics? Please comment. If not, how are we going to generate our own special characteristics? In our current process, in our FMEA, we do not specify our special characteristics? Please advise.
Thank you very much for the usual prompt attention you will give this request.
Best regards,
Raffy

Russ

Quite Involved in Discussions
We are fortunate we only have a few customers that require a full blown PPAP. One customer who has unloaded dozens of new jobs on us in the last year decided the price wasn't worth it and conceded to a 1 pc. ISIR with documentation. This we give them for free just so we don't have to invest the hours it takes for full PPAP's. This has really lightened our PPAP load for that customer. Very few are open to this method though. :notme:

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
We are doing everything required under the standard; generally because the auditors will get us otherwise. The customers don't care whether you have GR&R and everything else-they just want good parts on time. Imagine making 100 parts a year: The paperwork can take more time than making the parts!
TS16949 is not friendly to small run manufacturers at all, it's definitely a burden.:mad:
If the customer just wants good parts, then ask them to waive the PPAP requirement. It is their choice, after all. Then you will have evidence for the auditor that you don't have to do it...:D

You agreed to comply with the TS program, and asked the auditor to assess whether you met your commitment. Then you get mad at the auditor for assessing whether you met your commitment?:cool:

K

kdee122

I can bring a different view on this...I work for a auto OEM with a very low production rate, we are alittle under 1000 units.

We have about 350 parts that need to be PPAPed.

We typically get level 1,2, and 3 PPAPs. We have not had too much trouble getting our suppliers to provide PPAP documentation. We ARE flexible on the format and that seems to have helped the most.

If you are a typical job shop your flow diagram may be identical for many parts:
rec inspection->machining->inspection->packing

In addition I have allowed supplier to generalize the PFMEA, E.G. a machining job shop may have "hole oversize" for a failure mode instead of listing every single hole size.

On control plan I have also allowed supplier to group dimension that are all controled the same. E.G. a vacuum formed part were all the dimensions are formed and thne inspected on a CMM.

hope that helps!
kdee122

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
I can bring a different view on this...I work for a auto OEM with a very low production rate, we are alittle under 1000 units.

We have about 350 parts that need to be PPAPed.

We typically get level 1,2, and 3 PPAPs. We have not had too much trouble getting our suppliers to provide PPAP documentation. We ARE flexible on the format and that seems to have helped the most.

If you are a typical job shop your flow diagram may be identical for many parts:
rec inspection->machining->inspection->packing

In addition I have allowed supplier to generalize the PFMEA, E.G. a machining job shop may have "hole oversize" for a failure mode instead of listing every single hole size.

On control plan I have also allowed supplier to group dimension that are all controled the same. E.G. a vacuum formed part were all the dimensions are formed and thne inspected on a CMM.

hope that helps!
kdee122

You have a neat approach. I appreciate your pragmatism. Out of curiousity, what OEM has less than 1000 units?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Crimpshrine13 PPAPs (How far down the tiers are we supposed to get PPAPs)? APQP and PPAP 19
J Distribution and PPAPs for products they do not manufacture APQP and PPAP 3
M What are Yellow and Green PPAPs for Daimler? APQP and PPAP 4
T Requirement for PPAPs from all Suppliers APQP and PPAP 6
G TS 16949 External Lab for Raw Material Certs for PPAPs IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 26
E Being asked to do PPAPs - I'm new to the APQP Process APQP and PPAP 12
V FORD Phased PPAPs Information APQP and PPAP 3
J Annual PPAPs - Keeping Up with Hundreds Of Customers And Hundreds Of Part Numbers APQP and PPAP 12
O Dimensional Results Requirements for PPAPs APQP and PPAP 6
Q Supplier PPAPs - Self Certified - First tier supplier to Ford APQP and PPAP 1
C How Many PPAPs? We currently submit 160+ PPAPs per year APQP and PPAP 6
Gabble Supplier delivery of same material to different manufacturing locations - PPAPs Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
A What regulations must a distributor follow when submitting PPAPs? APQP and PPAP 1
A Interim PPAPs - Is this normal for GM, triplication of paperwork? APQP and PPAP 2
G 1st Articles / Initial Sample Submissions - Requirements for submitting PPAPs Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 5
T Electronic APQP and PPAPs - Seeking Recommendations Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
XRAY_3121 New Job with Wholesale Distributor Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
Marc Job Opportunity - Engineering Technician - Suspense 23 Sept 2020 Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 0
N Looking to Impress - New Job - Advice, Thoughts, Comments Welcome Career and Occupation Discussions 23
F Supplier Quality Assurance Job Openings - 8/2020 Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 0
C Refreshing an old and boring topic - Job descriptions and Roles vs Process Documentation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 38
BeaBea Organizational Charts and Job Titles Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 11
M IATF 16949 8.5.1.3 Verification of job set-ups - Do we need secondary check? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
B Product Safety Responsibility - Job shop such as a machine shop AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
JAMESH Job Safety - Lockout/Tagout and Respiratory Protocols Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
S Regulatory job in pharma vs. medical device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 16
S Regulatory job in pharma vs. medical device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
M Do I Expect Too Much of Job Candidates? Career and Occupation Discussions 33
JAMESH Building a "Lean" Job Shop Training Program Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
I "On the job training" as a response to how someone was trained? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 75
M Nonconformity for missing form number on the job description document Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
Sidney Vianna Are the Accreditation Bodies doing their job? Keeping CB's accountable Registrars and Notified Bodies 0
T QMS Template Help - Small machine shop/job shop Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
I ISO 9001:2015 - On the Job Training and Records Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
G Job interview - So I have to do a presentation on PPAP APQP and PPAP 16
F Job Travelers questions - unsigned operations AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 41
Marc Posting Job Openings - Read Me Please - 27 January 2019 Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 0
K Assigning the Correct Procedures Applicable to Job Titles General Auditing Discussions 15
W Job Card/Router sign off - Want to go paperless AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
S Is management representative a temporary post or a job title Management Review Meetings and related Processes 16
Q Have you ever "excluded" certain job descriptions from the QMS? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
C IATF 16949 Cl 8.5.1.3 - Verification of job set up IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
D How do you use statistics in your job Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
Sam Lazzara Notified Body CE Project Manager - Worst job ever? EU Medical Device Regulations 6
D Job Titles referenced in Procedures IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 18
Marc How did you "get" a full-time job? (A 2017 discussion) Career and Occupation Discussions 11
M Apply for a job when no opening is posted? Career and Occupation Discussions 64
M AS9100D excluding Design and Development - Small Job Shop AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 18
A Splitting Paper Routing Job Worksheets AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
N I updated my Job Description - Critiques Appreciated Career and Occupation Discussions 22