PPE, the MDR and EU 2016/425

James

Involved In Discussions
Hello friends

I have suddenly been emerged into the world of PPE. We normally manufacture class 1 medical devices, but are temporarily manufacturing some face visors due to PPE shortages. From my understanding, items protecting the patient from the clinician fall under MDR, but if its protecting the clinician from the patient, its PPE?

I'm unsure what ISO standard would best apply to manufacturing under the 2016/425 regulation. We will be manufacturing simple disposable, single-use visors to be used during the Covid-19 pandemic only, but we want to ensure our processes are as compliant as possible with the Essential Health and Safety Requirements and other regulatory expectations.

Any guidance or information about relevant ISO systems for PPE manufacture would be appreciated

ALSO - Who regulates PPE in the UK? (Assuming the MHRA only regulates the PPE that fits the 'medical device' definition)

Regards

James

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Philip B

Involved In Discussions
Hi James, as a manufacturer of Class I devices presumably you already have either ISO 9001 or 13485? I'm sure either of these would be adequate as the basis for a QMS for your face masks but you will probably have to extend your scope of registration with your certification body. As they take months to do anything at the best of times I would open dialogue with them as soon as possible mentioning that it is Covid-19 related (they might expedite it for you). Also, the Office for Product Safety & Standards has re-issued document Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Regulations OPSS PPE Legislation Guidance for Businesses and has guidance for manufacturing PPE in the current climate.

James

Involved In Discussions
Hi James, as a manufacturer of Class I devices presumably you already have either ISO 9001 or 13485? I'm sure either of these would be adequate as the basis for a QMS for your face masks but you will probably have to extend your scope of registration with your certification body. As they take months to do anything at the best of times I would open dialogue with them as soon as possible mentioning that it is Covid-19 related (they might expedite it for you). Also, the Office for Product Safety & Standards has re-issued document Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Regulations OPSS PPE Legislation Guidance for Businesses and has guidance for manufacturing PPE in the current climate.
Yes, we are an NHS organisation so we can apply a Health Institution Exemption to our devices. We can't do that with PPE. We also don't need a notified body or formal certification to meet the MHRA expectations, albeit we are working towards 13485 and will have it in place later this year. Temporary production of PPE isn't something we have time to prepare lots of documentation for. There is no guidance for 'legitimate' emergency supply, which is effectively what we want to produce internally.

Thanks

James

Hello James,

I dont know if you have made any progress on this so far. But from my understanding PPE that would be used for protection against COVID-19 would fall under category 3 in and would require notified body approval. Any products that are being sold without CE mark have to be assessed and part of a purchase organized by the relevant Member State authorities provided that is ensured that such products are only available for the healthcare workers for the duration of the current health crisis and that they are not entering the regular distribution channels and made available to other users.
So how are you saying you dont require notified body? Could you please clarify?

Thanks.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M PPE shelf life Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
D Is there a specific location for PPE such as safety glass holders and glove dispensers should be mounted Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 10
A We're currently looking for any studies performed on various PPE materials Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
A CE Mark PPE Category III for our customers residing in the EU CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
A Class I medical device and Category III PPE - Long length gloves EU Medical Device Regulations 5
N Medical Device which is both Class I & CAT III PPE CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 6
M How does Australia handle products that are EU PPE, but Australia Medical Devices? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 7
D PPE Requirements in Manufacturing Area of Class IIa Medical Device Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
AnaMariaVR2 Link between failure to comply w/ Lab PPE standards & ISO9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
arios Essential Requirements Checklist for PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 6
A Technical File Construction for Product Fall into both PPE and MD Directive EU Medical Device Regulations 5
L OHSAS 18001 requirement that PPE follow a national or international standard? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 6
GStough Looking for someone with experience in MDD, PPE, CMDR/CMDCAS regs General Auditing Discussions 1
R Deceleration of conformity as per EU MDR (2017/745) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
K Class III Kit Box - Are translations mandatory under EU MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
B Herbal ingredients MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 0
S MDR GSPR Clause 17 - Software Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 2
N Which EN ISO 17664 version compliance to EU MDR? Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 3
D Hospital Decontamination and the MDR - Technical Files, UDI and PMS EU Medical Device Regulations 2
K Submission of MDR File - Partner Companies - Computed Tomography (CT) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 10
B How to classify a medical device based on MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A MDR GSPR Checklist wanted EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Rincewind MDR - GSPR - Annex I - Chapter II EU Medical Device Regulations 2
N EU MDR - Applicability Article 22 Systems and Procedure Packs CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
B EU MDR Perscription product guidance EU Medical Device Regulations 1
cscalise Suggestions for MDR Auditing tools EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Example of statement for procedure pack MDR Article 22? Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 0
H MDD CM, MDR manufacturer. 2020. Is it ok? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M MDR, RED and LVD - Should our device comply with them? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
E UK MDR brexit out of sync with EU MDR deadline? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
S MDR Delay - MDD design Change? (before new MDR DOA) EU Medical Device Regulations 8
S Class I MDR Article 10 – QMS EU Medical Device Regulations 1
dgrainger Medical Device News MDR postponed - link to Official Journal of the European Union (24-4-2020) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
K Supply Agreement Regarding MDR 2017/745 - Manufacturer-supplier cooperation Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
Ed Panek Medical Device News MDR Delayed 1 year (Posted 4/2020) EU Medical Device Regulations 9
dinaroxentool Former Class I device that is upscaled to IIa if the MDR is delayed EU Medical Device Regulations 2
B FDA-Medical Device Reporting (MDR )procedure compliant with 21CFR section 803 US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
R An indication that the device is a medical device (MDR, Annex 23.2q) - applicable for accessories? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
R Clinical evaluation without clinical data - MDR Article 61(10) EU Medical Device Regulations 3
dgrainger Informational Postponement of MDR - adopted by the Commission - April 2020 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
R Applicability of new non-harmonized standards (MDD/MDR) EU Medical Device Regulations 8
F The EU Drafts Bill to Postpone MDR by a Year (3/2020) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
T Commission proposal being drawn up for postponement for date of application of MDR (2017/745) EU Medical Device Regulations 7
A MDR Article 22 applicability - Legal manufacturer EU Medical Device Regulations 6
M Estimating the benefit-risk ration under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
F Will the EU postpone 2017/745 MDR Implementation - COVID-19 Impact Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 11
Ajit Basrur Physical Address on Product Labels (EU MDR perspective) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
B Notified Bodies for Software (MDR) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
P MDR Rule 10 interpretation - Active Device EU Medical Device Regulations 3
JoCam Certified Body Audit of MDR requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 4