SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

PQ validation qualification - Asked to write a PQ protocol

Hello,

I'm new to a lot of this but have some time lurking here. My question revolves around a recent process qualification for a customer. We were asked to write a PQ protocol. This protocol had an acceptance criteria in it. The criteria required involved an X% requirement of yield at each work station. We were well within those "planned results" (ISO13485).

When we discussed the results of the PQ the customer stated that we failed because we had failures in our output. The customer divided the failures by component induced and process induced. There were some of both. They said that because some of the failures were process induced we failed the PQ and would need to run it again.

It seems to me that we met the criteria of acceptance and are now being asked to meet a different acceptance criteria.

What am I missing? I have been told to back off from the customer but I would like to learn from this failure.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Staff member
Admin
Were any of their PQ requirements in contract review? That is, when was acceptance criteria communicated with you? Did your customer review and approve your protocol at some time?

Ajit Basrur

Staff member
Admin
Hello,

I'm new to a lot of this but have some time lurking here. My question revolves around a recent process qualification for a customer. We were asked to write a PQ protocol. This protocol had an acceptance criteria in it. The criteria required involved an X% requirement of yield at each work station. We were well within those "planned results" (ISO13485).

When we discussed the results of the PQ the customer stated that we failed because we had failures in our output. The customer divided the failures by component induced and process induced. There were some of both. They said that because some of the failures were process induced we failed the PQ and would need to run it again.

It seems to me that we met the criteria of acceptance and are now being asked to meet a different acceptance criteria.

What am I missing? I have been told to back off from the customer but I would like to learn from this failure.
Did you not obtain customer approval for the PQ protocol?

Ajit Basrur

Staff member
Admin
They said as long as there was a process breakdown, the qualification/validation is consider a failure.
The "breakdown" has to be analyzed to determine if additional controls are required to make the process robust and repeatable. In my view, to just cover under a process breakdown and label a failure is not a right thing to do. As you mentioned in your first post, the acceptance criteria was met so technically not a failure. Even to mark this validation exercise a failure, what will you attribute the failure to?

indubioush

Quite Involved in Discussions
It seems to me that there might be a miscommunication regarding acceptance criteria. For example, let's say the PQ is for a bonding process. If the operator accidentally applies an inadequate amount of glue during the process, and rejects that one unit, that is scrap (accounted for in the yield). After the appropriate number of units have been manufactured for the PQ, the bond strength is tested on those units. If any of the bonds do not meet the bond strength criteria, the whole PQ is a failure.

Not sure if this correlates at all to what you are doing, but I think there is some miscommunication here. I think your customer just didn't review the PQ protocol and made some incorrect assumptions. Since you are posting in the med device section, I assume your customer is a medical device company. Reading this guidance might help:

http://www.imdrf.org/docs/ghtf/fina...g3-n99-10-2004-qms-process-guidance-04010.pdf

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E Equipment Qualification - IQ/OQ per ISO 13485:2016 section 7.5.6 Process validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
D ISO 13485 - Equipment validation , qualification Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 6
K Is Mold qualification / process validation always required? Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
C MSA for Non Manufacturing - Design Validation, Characterization and Qualification Lab Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
P CMM Equipment Validation and Qualification Approach ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
M Chosing a procedure title - "Validation of equipment" or "Qualification of equipment" Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
B Usage of Parts from OQ (Operational Qualification) Mold Validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
A Guidance for Cleanroom Qualification and Validation relevant for EU and USA ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
A Do we need to perform Qualification and Validation? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
S Validation and Qualification when moving to another Facility Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
P Can I do Qualification without Validation? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 7
W Packaging / Heat Sealer Validation - IOQ (Installation/Operational Qualification) Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 15
M Process Validation and Qualification of Legacy Equipment ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
M Process Validation/Equipment Qualification - Class 1A (Sterile) Medical Device ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
R Isolator for manufacturing High Potency Products - Qualification / Validation Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 9
S Utility - Electrical operation qualification protocol for validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
I GMP Stores qualification/validation plan or protocol - New Store requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
A Packaging Validation / Qualification Report for Medical Devices - Example ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
Q Determining the Appropriate Sample Size for Process Validation/Qualification Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 13
M Is validation required when consumables are changed Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
C 8.3.4 Verification and Validation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
W Transport validation Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 12
mustomutlu Process Validation Final Report Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
P Software verification and validation procedure IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 6
Y SaMD Verification and Validation SOP and Plan IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 6
C Spreadsheet Validation and Release Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
M Packing Validation & Accelerated Aging Test ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
M Sterile packing validation tests to be performed and protocol Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
S OEM full range calibrations vs Validation special test points Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
H Software Validation for FFS Packaging Machine Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
Q ISO 13485 7.5.6 Validation - Off the shelf Software ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M ERP / QMS related software standards for Validation IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 6
C ISO 19227 Validation Cost Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
A CNC Mill and Lathe - Validation Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
N Example for design and development planning,input,output,review,verification,validation and transfer Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
N Sterilization Protocol Change in Validation Process and further impacts ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
B Oracle Cloud ERP Validation during Quarterly Patch ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
D Software validation team Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
W LTPD, AQL, Ppk and Cpk validation sampling plan table Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
J Validation Sample Size for Tray Seal Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
F AS9100 - Validation, FAIR's, ITAR and Sub-Contracting AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
R PCBA process validation Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
A ISO 17025 - Methods validation and clients ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
S Sterilization validation after changing sterilization process provider Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
B Sterilization Validation Plan Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
D Difference between Test Method Validation and Gage R&R Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 18
T Laboratory Verification after validation ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
silentmonkey Rationalising the level of effort and depth of software validation based on risk ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
D Questions regarding process validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
Y We found out we have been using a equipment without validation for past 4 years Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6