Practical Guidance on TS 16949 Clause 7.5.3 - Product Status Identification

morteza

Trusted Information Resource
Hi all
I have a problem with the NOTE of ISO/TS under clause 7.3.5.
I our organization we have several linear production lines that in any of them each machine is about 3 meters far from the other. For production we provided some pallets for these lines. First OP produces 50 parts (inspect by operator) and these parts put on a pallet. This pallet is pushed to the next OP and so on.
We do not use any identification card for product status. All products on the pallet are deemed to be OK. Rejected parts are put on red pallet.
Does this method conflict with ISO/TS NOTE?
What about our production line which is a conveyor moving with constant speed and each operator (more than 20 operators) implements an action on gearbox (our product) assembly? In this line it is deemed all products on conveyor are OK and we do not use any status identification card.
I would be grateful if someone give more explanation on ISO/TS NOTE intent.
Thanks all

qusys

Re: Need practical guidance on TS 16949 Clause 7.5.3 - Product Status Identification

Hi all
I have a problem with the NOTE of ISO/TS under clause 7.3.5.
I our organization we have several linear production lines that in any of them each machine is about 3 meters far from the other. For production we provided some pallets for these lines. First OP produces 50 parts (inspect by operator) and these parts put on a pallet. This pallet is pushed to the next OP and so on.
We do not use any identification card for product status. All products on the pallet are deemed to be OK. Rejected parts are put on red pallet.
Does this method conflict with ISO/TS NOTE?
What about our production line which is a conveyor moving with constant speed and each operator (more than 20 operators) implements an action on gearbox (our product) assembly? In this line it is deemed all products on conveyor are OK and we do not use any status identification card.
I would be grateful if someone give more explanation on ISO/TS NOTE intent.
Thanks all

Do the parts have an identification number? Do they belong to an identified lot of production? Do you use an online method where the data are charged?
Notes are not prescripitive but they are suggestion for help, a note is referred to the configuration management if you have in place an online tracking system, for instance.
Besides, non conforming product shall be clearly identified. Some auditors also interpreted this requirement as phisycal segragation in order to not confuse conforming product with non conforming one.
My question is how you ensure that you record data to ensure conformity of the processed material to agreed requirements.

morteza

Re: Need practical guidance on TS 16949 Clause 7.5.3 - Product Status Identification

Do the parts have an identification number? Do they belong to an identified lot of production? Do you use an online method where the data are charged?
Notes are not prescripitive but they are suggestion for help, a note is referred to the configuration management if you have in place an online tracking system, for instance.
Besides, non conforming product shall be clearly identified. Some auditors also interpreted this requirement as phisycal segragation in order to not confuse conforming product with non conforming one.
My question is how you ensure that you record data to ensure conformity of the processed material to agreed requirements.
Hi qusys
In reply to your questions;
1- All parts in our company have identification numbers.
2- We did not define batch or lot number for lots brought from warehouse to the first OP. the pallets coming from warehouse have an identification card showing its status (good) and part number. This card is thrown away after all the coming parts have machined in the first OP.
3- In all OPs (7 op) parts are checked according to CP. Operator control is not recorded but QC check results is recorded for each OP. so y these checks we ensure from products quality.
4- We do not use any documented identification method through these Ops. Also we do not use configuration management. All know that good parts are put on pallet and NC parts in rejected pallet.
5- As I know, ISO/TS NOTEs are clarifications of requirements (they are requirements, too), except those have the word SHOULD such as the NOTE under clause 8.2.2.4

qusys

Hi qusys
In reply to your questions;
1- All parts in our company have identification numbers.
2- We did not define batch or lot number for lots brought from warehouse to the first OP. the pallets coming from warehouse have an identification card showing its status (good) and part number. This card is thrown away after all the coming parts have machined in the first OP.
3- In all OPs (7 op) parts are checked according to CP. Operator control is not recorded but QC check results is recorded for each OP. so y these checks we ensure from products quality.
4- We do not use any documented identification method through these Ops. Also we do not use configuration management. All know that good parts are put on pallet and NC parts in rejected pallet.
5- As I know, ISO/TS NOTEs are clarifications of requirements (they are requirements, too), except those have the word SHOULD such as the NOTE under clause 8.2.2.4

Understood.
What were the risks for potential failure you have identified in the process FMEA?
Do you have control in your production control plan?
From what I have understood, the process is "manual" and not " automated", so traceability of each item could be jeopardized, but this can be assessed only you that are seeing the dynamics of the process. Consider that 7.5.3.1 of ISO TS states that the organization shall have under control ther univoque identification of the product and mantain the related records . ISO TS is more stringent than ISO 9001 in this sense.
As to your point 5, ISO TS Notes are not prescriptive in any way, so they are not requirements and cannot be audited. They only act as an help to better understand the requirement they refer to.
:bigwave:

Top Bottom