Pre-assessment Audit Worries for a Newbie

R

Random

Hi, I'm new to this site, and the whole area of ISO 9000. I just got out of college and took a position as a Quality Manager in a small manufacturing plant, with my first task to pick up where the previous QM left off on ISO 9000 certification.

We have our Pre-assessment audit coming up pretty quickly, performed by our registrar, and was hoping to get some information on what to expect. Is the auditor going to be looking at just how we carry out our processes, will he be looking at our documentation as well, etc. We're having auditing training right before the pre-assessment, but since both myself and the plant are new to all of this, I thought it would be better to experience this first to get us an idea of what happens during an audit, and how we can go about it internally.

Having gone over the requirements and a couple different interpretations, I feel that the areas we have to work on are documentation, control of documents, and using our records to improve (instead of just filling up folders.) Any help would be appreciated, and thanks in advance.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
B

Bob_M

Welcome.
First try to relax. (It may be difficult but it is possible).
Our (upgrade) pre-assessment was very basic. We sent a copy of our Quality Manual and 6 Required Procedures to our auditor for off-site document review. During the visit the auditor basically looked for and discussed the "process flow" and whether or not our system as a whole followed the ISO 9000:2000 Structure. Our registrar expected to see 1 minimum Management Review Meeting records and a full audit cycle to the new standard.
During the registration audit, the auditors will be looking at the details and records, and interviewing personnel.
The pre-assessment is a tool to judge how close you are to being ready, and giving you the chance to fix the major/minor problems before the registration audit.
Search the rest of this site for plenty of helpful general and specific topics.

I agree, welcome to the Cove!!! :bigwave:

Use the pre-assessement the way it is intended. You will find that there are a few issues you didn't even think of. That's okay. Make the changes, ask us questions, and then go for the registration audit. Once that is behind you take a year of vacation. :smokin:

C

Craig H.

Hi, Random, and welcome!

I think, looking back on our experience in our early ISO days, that it is important to not only look at what ISO 9001 is, but also what it is not.

If your company is a going concern, without an undue number of errors, then try to capture what is being done. There are 6 "shall" documentation requirements, but you will most likely need more. Don't make the mistake of going overboard, though. Just give the floor people what they need, in a format they will USE!! If you hear someone say that you need a particular item or record, don't be afraid to ask where that requirement is in the standard. As one of our members is fond of saying "Show me the 'Shall' ".

As far as what your auditor will look at, yes, he or she will likely look at both documentation and your process as a whole (and subprocesses, interaction, etc.). Starting out with a process map should help you understand these, and I suggest drawing your process map very early in the process of getting ready to go for registration.

You have come to the right place. Just use the search function, and ask when something isn't clear.

Oh, yeah, and try to relax.

Craig

G

Greg B

Random,

I totally agree with both Bob and Craig.

Relax...They can't shoot you if it is not up to scratch. A QA system is a work in progress. It can never be 100% correct as it is continually changing....when the registrar does the audit don't worry if they pick something up (they always do) use it as a tool to improve your system.

Greg B

C

Craig H.

Greg B said:
....when the registrar does the audit don't worry if they pick something up (they always do) use it as a tool to improve your system.

Greg B

Greg:

Indeed, unless you are an auditor (and some of those types have been known to lurk here)

:vfunny:

THAT is the whole idea of this exercise- to improve the effectiveness (competitiveness???) of the company. Not that the "dings" are welcome, but they do provide a guidepost to where we could do better, if we have a good auditor. They (dings) are going to happen. While I am proud of the 1 (read that, ONE) time our system has escaped without a nonconformance, I would be remiss in my duties as QA Manager if that continued without me wondering if we were getting our $ worth.

OK, either that, or I am (we are) perfect.

Well, I was that once, but the market (or situation, personnel, raw materials, procedures) changed.

Yeah, right.

Random, you have managed to insert yourself into a place where you can either decide to just go for the cert, or use the effort to drive positive change. Choose the higher path, learn the standard, and figure out where your present system does not conform (gap analysis). Then, make it happen. Your company (and you, I hope) will be better for it.

Craig

R

Random

Thanks for the for the advice (especially the relaxing bit)

I sure that we'll get some non-conformances identified, but that's what I see as the good part of the pre-assessment. Get those identified, along with any areas that conform but can be done better, and get them in shape for the real assessment.

Here's hoping that everything goes smoothly.

gpainter

Quite Involved in Discussions
Don't worry be Happy :D . Your fresh out of school and was able to find a job. Pre-assessement(Gap Analysis) is an excellent tool for you and the company. Watch, Listen, Question, Learn and take plenty of notes, but remember it is your system and not the auditors. They will more than likely find plenty of N/Cs. If you take care of all of them you will find the registration audit a lot easier. Do get some info on your registrar and auditor, get their checklist(most do still have one but are not used as much), talk to some people that use them (people here). If you have any questions just ask at the Cove. Most are happy to give their 2 cents worth, many give 3 or 4. The best thing about it is it is free and experience based.

R

Randy Stewart

Don't sweat the small stuff and don't take it personal. Think of it as just another set of eyes looking it over, like having someone read over your term paper! :thedeal:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Internal Audit before Pre-Assessment ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
J ISO 9001 Implementation moving forward - Completed pre-assessment audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
L Pre-assessment to Final Audit - Is there a 90 day requirement? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 26
C RC14001 - Are we ready for a Baseline (Pre-Assessment) Audit? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 11
J ISO/TS 16949 Pre-assessment Audit last week and it went very well! General Auditing Discussions 7
J Pre-assessment audits for TS 16949 - How long will the audit last? General Auditing Discussions 2
A Just finished the ISO 9001 pre-assessment audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
B Stage 1 - Adequacy Audit (pre-assessment) - University - What do they look for? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
M ISO 9001 Pre-Assessment Audit Next Week ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 39
T KPI, Dashboards and Pre-Assessment Questionnaires question ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
C Sanity Check on ISO 9001 Pre-Assessment Findings ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 35
T Should we utilize a Pre-Assessment? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
N Seeking for free Online Pre-employment Test and Assessment Career and Occupation Discussions 2
S Pre-Assessment Mock Audits by Different Consultants IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
S TS 16949 Pre-Assessment by Registrar or Not? Really worthwhile? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
G Pre-assessment: ISO 9001:1994 to ISO 9001:2000 Upgrade ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
J Our ISO 14001 pre-assessment predicts we're good to go! ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
D Internal Auditing and Pre-Assessment Internal Auditing 7
V Supplier wants to perform pre-qualifications prior to every run instead of locking in parameters. Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
H Queries: RFD & Pre-RFD Program Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
J Design file for pre-existing products - Inputs and Outputs ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
R Gauge R&R on pre-set torque wrench Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
D Pre-Production Capability Assesment Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 5
M Is there any pre-defined Control plan format/template acc. VDA? VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 0
D Pre-Submission after 510(K) Submission? Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
J Pre-clinical Studies for RUO Product Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
M Informational Health Canada guidance document – Pre-market Requirements for Medical Device Cybersecurity Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
J Custom-made implants (Class IIb) and pre-commercialization clinical trials in Spain EU Medical Device Regulations 4
C Shipping Medical Devices to US before pre market clearance US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
A UDI requirements for pre-filled combination devices - Box containing a pre-filled device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
M Informational MDCG 2019-3 Interpretation of Article 54(2)b – Pre- market clinical evaluation consultation procedure with the involvement of expert panels Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
D Redacted pre-submission bundle that you would be willing to share US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
I Bench Testing & Pre-verification vs. Formal verification 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
D FDA Pre-Submission Meeting Advice US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
M Medical Device News Health Canada – Consultation: Pre-market Requirements for Medical Device Cybersecurity Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
L 510 (K) Pre-Sub meeting - Does it worth? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
A Examples of Pre-Sub, SRD, PMA Shells and Templates Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
B Manufacturing site relocation of pre amendment Class II medical device Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
A Users won't return devices from pre-CE performance evaluation study EU Medical Device Regulations 3
B GM GP-12 Pre-Launch - They asking for a I chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
GoSpeedRacer Pre-Work and Study for ISO 13485:2016 Lead Auditor Class ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
S Pre-release version of the upcoming AIAG FMEA Revision 5 FMEA and Control Plans 1
V Is 'Compliance' a pre-requisite or is it ok before Batch Release to Market? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
V Writing a Pre-Submission to the FDA 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 44
P EASA STC (Supplemental Type Certificate) on a Pre-mod FAA STC Configuration EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 1
H Pre compliance test for Glucometer Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
V Pre-dispensed API material received in predetermined quantities & given to production Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
R Is pre-conditioning supplier component before incoming inspection tests allowed? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 16
somashekar Pre-Announced FDA 4 Day Inspection, Class 2 Devices, Contract Manufacturer 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 11
Q FDA Consensus Standard for PMA (Pre-Market Approval) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1