Pre-assessment: ISO 9001:1994 to ISO 9001:2000 Upgrade

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
We did, but we were a start up division with no prior registration. If I would have been with my old division and upgrading I would have recommended to go straight for the certification audit.

B

Bob_M

Ours is on Monday (1 Day with BSI).
We probably could have done the "2step" upgrade process, but either we were not offered it or when I first got this job a year ago, I misunderstood our options. *shrug*
I think we've got most the important systems updated, and the minor weakness I hope will be found on Monday. :D

A

Aaron Lupo

We didn't do one either. However, I know quite a few companies are, it is not a bad idea if you have questions about your compliance level better to have the pre-assessment than have the upgrade and not make it.

barb butrym

Quite Involved in Discussions
i see no need for a preassessment on an transisition(upgrade?) to 9k2k. A doc review "maybe" but not an audit. My registrar doesn't offer them unless begged to do so.

The majority is already there, just renumbered. what a waste of money!!! You get CARs issued ,then you fix them...so you get a couple findings......worse case scenario. The new stuff won't constitute a total breakdown of the system, unless you were having problems before. They (registrars) want the system in place..its a new system, so an honest attempt is all they are looking for, after all you need to have room for improvement don't you? An audit by a consultant, maybe, so they can help with anything they find, but not the registrar.

My humble opinion............or .0025 cents worth....LOL

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
gpainter said:
How many of you have done a Registrar pre-assessment prior to your up-grade audit?
We did a pre-assessment to ensure that we did not completely miss the boat with the major overhaul that our company went through just 8 months prior to our Registration.

With 3 companies merging into 1....with our family of 2 facilities in Canada becoming 11 in North America, not to mention downstream facilities, storage depots, etc., well, some pretty serious restructuring happened at our facility and some processes were moved to other locations. As those processes affect our ability to meet Customer/statutory/regulatory requirements, we had to introduce the concept of ISO 9001 and our Management System to people.

Many head banging sessions later, countless emails and phone calls, and let's not get into the insults that were exchanged, it was decided that a pre-assessment audit would probably save our butt. And while the pre-assessment did verify that the correct path was taken, it was just several thousand dollars for our own peace of mind and it helped introduce those facilities to what they would experience in the "real" thing (i.e., the transition audit).

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
barb butrym said:
thats a whole different can of worms......more than just a typical transisition.............guess i didn't "get" that
Gee, Barb, you sound almost envious! :) If I'd have known you felt this way, I would have invited you to help participate in the fun! :bonk: Hey, you would have plenty of Austrian chocolate and Ontario wine to help ease the pain and suffering. ;)

B

Bob_M

Pre-Assessment Now Done

We had our Pre-Assessment 08-11-03 (Monday) and things went well. 1 OFI and 3 minors. Two of the minors will be real easy to fix/address. Our major lackings are being able to show what are major processes were (clearly) and "prove" that they are EFFECTIVE based on our criteria. Nothing super major, but some thought will be required.

We/I opted for the Pre-Assessment because our documentation was designed to appease the 1994 standard. PERIOD. Most of our procedures served no real purpose and did not really help us to get things done in the best way for our company. So when I took over as Quality Manager with no experience, the 1-day pre-assessment and 2 day upgrade audit made alot of sense. We wanted to get it right on the first try, especially since the deadline for 1994 was approaching fast.

On a personally note, I was actually rather stress free the once I completed the manual, and I expect to keep that low level of stress until the upgrade audit morning (well for quality related issues anyways :bonk:)

G

Groo3

In our last continuous assessment, we asked our registrar to also provide us with feedback on how we measure up against the 2000 requirements. While not formally a pre-assessment, it did help to point out what our bigest concerns would be in the upcoming assessment.

PS: We are upgrading from 9002:1994 to 9001:2000, so we have the added design piece to address.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Sanity Check on ISO 9001 Pre-Assessment Findings ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 35
J ISO 9001 Implementation moving forward - Completed pre-assessment audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
J ISO/TS 16949 Pre-assessment Audit last week and it went very well! General Auditing Discussions 7
A Just finished the ISO 9001 pre-assessment audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
M ISO 9001 Pre-Assessment Audit Next Week ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 39
J Our ISO 14001 pre-assessment predicts we're good to go! ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
F Internal Audit before Pre-Assessment ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
T KPI, Dashboards and Pre-Assessment Questionnaires question ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
T Should we utilize a Pre-Assessment? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
N Seeking for free Online Pre-employment Test and Assessment Career and Occupation Discussions 2
L Pre-assessment to Final Audit - Is there a 90 day requirement? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 26
S Pre-Assessment Mock Audits by Different Consultants IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
C RC14001 - Are we ready for a Baseline (Pre-Assessment) Audit? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 11
J Pre-assessment audits for TS 16949 - How long will the audit last? General Auditing Discussions 2
B Stage 1 - Adequacy Audit (pre-assessment) - University - What do they look for? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
R Pre-assessment Audit Worries for a Newbie General Auditing Discussions 11
S TS 16949 Pre-Assessment by Registrar or Not? Really worthwhile? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
D Internal Auditing and Pre-Assessment Internal Auditing 7
V Supplier wants to perform pre-qualifications prior to every run instead of locking in parameters. Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
H Queries: RFD & Pre-RFD Program Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
J Design file for pre-existing products - Inputs and Outputs ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
R Gauge R&R on pre-set torque wrench Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
D Pre-Production Capability Assesment Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 5
M Is there any pre-defined Control plan format/template acc. VDA? VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 0
D Pre-Submission after 510(K) Submission? Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
J Pre-clinical Studies for RUO Product Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
M Informational Health Canada guidance document – Pre-market Requirements for Medical Device Cybersecurity Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
J Custom-made implants (Class IIb) and pre-commercialization clinical trials in Spain EU Medical Device Regulations 4
C Shipping Medical Devices to US before pre market clearance US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
A UDI requirements for pre-filled combination devices - Box containing a pre-filled device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
M Informational MDCG 2019-3 Interpretation of Article 54(2)b – Pre- market clinical evaluation consultation procedure with the involvement of expert panels Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
D Redacted pre-submission bundle that you would be willing to share US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
I Bench Testing & Pre-verification vs. Formal verification 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
D FDA Pre-Submission Meeting Advice US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
M Medical Device News Health Canada – Consultation: Pre-market Requirements for Medical Device Cybersecurity Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
L 510 (K) Pre-Sub meeting - Does it worth? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
A Examples of Pre-Sub, SRD, PMA Shells and Templates Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
B Manufacturing site relocation of pre amendment Class II medical device Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
A Users won't return devices from pre-CE performance evaluation study EU Medical Device Regulations 3
B GM GP-12 Pre-Launch - They asking for a I chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
GoSpeedRacer Pre-Work and Study for ISO 13485:2016 Lead Auditor Class ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
S Pre-release version of the upcoming AIAG FMEA Revision 5 FMEA and Control Plans 1
V Is 'Compliance' a pre-requisite or is it ok before Batch Release to Market? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
V Writing a Pre-Submission to the FDA 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 44
P EASA STC (Supplemental Type Certificate) on a Pre-mod FAA STC Configuration EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 1
H Pre compliance test for Glucometer Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
V Pre-dispensed API material received in predetermined quantities & given to production Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
R Is pre-conditioning supplier component before incoming inspection tests allowed? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 16
somashekar Pre-Announced FDA 4 Day Inspection, Class 2 Devices, Contract Manufacturer 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 11
Q FDA Consensus Standard for PMA (Pre-Market Approval) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1