Pre-assessment: ISO 9001:1994 to ISO 9001:2000 Upgrade

gpainter

Quite Involved in Discussions
How many of you have done a Registrar pre-assessment prior to your up-grade audit?

Last edited:

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Trusted Information Resource
We did, but we were a start up division with no prior registration. If I would have been with my old division and upgrading I would have recommended to go straight for the certification audit.

B

Bob_M

Ours is on Monday (1 Day with BSI).
We probably could have done the "2step" upgrade process, but either we were not offered it or when I first got this job a year ago, I misunderstood our options. *shrug*
I think we've got most the important systems updated, and the minor weakness I hope will be found on Monday. :D

A

Aaron Lupo

We didn't do one either. However, I know quite a few companies are, it is not a bad idea if you have questions about your compliance level better to have the pre-assessment than have the upgrade and not make it.

barb butrym

i see no need for a preassessment on an transisition(upgrade?) to 9k2k. A doc review "maybe" but not an audit. My registrar doesn't offer them unless begged to do so.

The majority is already there, just renumbered. what a waste of money!!! You get CARs issued ,then you fix them...so you get a couple findings......worse case scenario. The new stuff won't constitute a total breakdown of the system, unless you were having problems before. They (registrars) want the system in place..its a new system, so an honest attempt is all they are looking for, after all you need to have room for improvement don't you? An audit by a consultant, maybe, so they can help with anything they find, but not the registrar.

My humble opinion............or .0025 cents worth....LOL

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
gpainter said:
How many of you have done a Registrar pre-assessment prior to your up-grade audit?

We did a pre-assessment to ensure that we did not completely miss the boat with the major overhaul that our company went through just 8 months prior to our Registration.

With 3 companies merging into 1....with our family of 2 facilities in Canada becoming 11 in North America, not to mention downstream facilities, storage depots, etc., well, some pretty serious restructuring happened at our facility and some processes were moved to other locations. As those processes affect our ability to meet Customer/statutory/regulatory requirements, we had to introduce the concept of ISO 9001 and our Management System to people.

Many head banging sessions later, countless emails and phone calls, and let's not get into the insults that were exchanged, it was decided that a pre-assessment audit would probably save our butt. And while the pre-assessment did verify that the correct path was taken, it was just several thousand dollars for our own peace of mind and it helped introduce those facilities to what they would experience in the "real" thing (i.e., the transition audit).

barb butrym

whoa

thats a whole different can of worms......more than just a typical transisition.............guess i didn't "get" that

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
barb butrym said:
thats a whole different can of worms......more than just a typical transisition.............guess i didn't "get" that

Gee, Barb, you sound almost envious! :) If I'd have known you felt this way, I would have invited you to help participate in the fun! :bonk: Hey, you would have plenty of Austrian chocolate and Ontario wine to help ease the pain and suffering. ;)

B

Bob_M

Pre-Assessment Now Done

We had our Pre-Assessment 08-11-03 (Monday) and things went well. 1 OFI and 3 minors. Two of the minors will be real easy to fix/address. Our major lackings are being able to show what are major processes were (clearly) and "prove" that they are EFFECTIVE based on our criteria. Nothing super major, but some thought will be required.

We/I opted for the Pre-Assessment because our documentation was designed to appease the 1994 standard. PERIOD. Most of our procedures served no real purpose and did not really help us to get things done in the best way for our company. So when I took over as Quality Manager with no experience, the 1-day pre-assessment and 2 day upgrade audit made alot of sense. We wanted to get it right on the first try, especially since the deadline for 1994 was approaching fast.

On a personally note, I was actually rather stress free the once I completed the manual, and I expect to keep that low level of stress until the upgrade audit morning (well for quality related issues anyways :bonk:)

G

Groo3

In our last continuous assessment, we asked our registrar to also provide us with feedback on how we measure up against the 2000 requirements. While not formally a pre-assessment, it did help to point out what our bigest concerns would be in the upcoming assessment.

PS: We are upgrading from 9002:1994 to 9001:2000, so we have the added design piece to address.

Top Bottom