Pre-Submission for Breakthrough Device Designation - What's the threshold?

SSchoepel

Involved In Discussions
From the Breakthrough Devices Program guidance (18 Dec 2018): The Breakthrough Devices Program is a voluntary program for certain medical devices and device-led combination products that provide for more effective treatment or diagnosis of life-threatening or irreversibly debilitating diseases or conditions.

Does anyone have examples or real-world experience on where the FDA draws the line on what they consider life-threatening or irreversibly debilitating diseases or conditions? I have been asked to help prepare a pre-sub request for a breakthrough designation and there is no other approved or cleared alternative, and the availability is probably in the best interest of patients, however, I am wondering if the FDA will consider the condition life-threatening or irreversibly debilitating. I'd like to get a feel for the FDA view so I can determine if we need more justification or will end up in STeP regardless of justification.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

primavesvera

Involved In Discussions
Our company tried, we submitted multiple findings and then we were asked to provide the rationale why each of those are considered life-threatening or irreversibly debilitating. However, without any specific explanation or some threshold given to us. And we failed. :)

Obviously, BDP and STep are completely opposite programs, but in BDP guidance (https://www.fda.gov/media/108135/download) there are a couple of indications that might help you, such as the breakthrough technology section. Is it a breakthrough technology? :)
Then, you have also a bit on whether a disease or condition is life-threatening or irreversibly debilitating (with some limited examples).

Q-Sub is always an option.

SSchoepel

Involved In Discussions
Thanks, we will be doing a Q-Sub to ask for the designation. I'm just not sure, even with the examples in the guidance document (read before posting and still putting me on the fence), that we would be granted the designation. If not, then we need a second Q-sub to ask questions to gain agreement on indications for use.

Watchcat

Trusted Information Resource
There is a forum member @Watchcat, she or he, seems to understand the FDA logic based on the work experience, so maybe you can contact that person.
I am flattered that you think so. I like to think I have a reasonably good handle on FDA's mindset, but I don't have experience with Breakthroughs, so I'd have to research the substance of it before I could put my FDA mindset on. In other words, ka-ching. SS and have crossed paths here before, and my vague recollection is she (I know! Ha!) may well be as good at that as I am, and was just doing a reach out to see if anyone had prior experience, in case it offered additional insights.

Also, head up...maybe a month or so ago I heard FDA was just saying no to pre-subs. All of them, I can't say, but several colleagues reported having this experience recently. Speculation about limited resources due to the pandemic. Other speculation that they had originally expected to be charging user fees for them by now, and don't much want to do them until they can work through the belated MDUFA negotiations.

Watchcat is a she also. :)

primavesvera

Involved In Discussions
I am flattered that you think so. I like to think I have a reasonably good handle on FDA's mindset, but I don't have experience with Breakthroughs, so I'd have to research the substance of it before I could put my FDA mindset on. In other words, ka-ching. SS and have crossed paths here before, and my vague recollection is she (I know! Ha!) may well be as good at that as I am, and was just doing a reach out to see if anyone had prior experience, in case it offered additional insights.

Also, head up...maybe a month or so ago I heard FDA was just saying no to pre-subs. All of them, I can't say, but several colleagues reported having this experience recently. Speculation about limited resources due to the pandemic. Other speculation that they had originally expected to be charging user fees for them by now, and don't much want to do them until they can work through the belated MDUFA negotiations.

Watchcat is a she also. :)
Regarding the FDA, each time when we try a new approach, we magnificently fail lately. As I said, we tried our best with the breakthrough technology, but it wasn't enough and it wasn't explained why it's not enough.

So, I really hope someone has a better insight and is willing to share their experience.

Watchcat

Trusted Information Resource
we tried our best with the breakthrough technology, but it wasn't enough and it wasn't explained why it's not enough.
Hoping to enlighten, rather than offend:

I will say that my general perspective on the medical device crowd is that they want FDA to figure everything out for them, tell them what to do, and how to do it. I was a writer before I was an RA professional, and struggled, as we all do, with the dictum that "the onus to communicate is on the communicator." That's harsh, but ultimately true.

I have always thought it was entirely up to the company to figure it out, then explain it to FDA in a way that FDA can understand it too. Because I don't think FDA inherently understands a lot of what industry thinks (or would like to think) it does, or "should." Maybe not even a lot of what FDA thinks (or would like to think) it does, or "should." So here, I would be inclined to say, perhaps FDA didn't explain why it wasn't enough, because FDA is in no position to know, and you failed to convince it otherwise. Or perhaps because it simply didn't meet the breakthrough criteria, and FDA understood that very well, even if you didn't.

Again, this is an effort at enlightenment, not offense. I'm in no position to know if that shoe fits you or not. Just that I see enough feet in those shoes, they are invariably the first shoes that come to mind. Certainly sometimes the FDA is just...whatever...and you are simply never going to get through to them.

Last edited:

primavesvera

Involved In Discussions
Hoping to enlighten, rather than offend:

I will say that my general perspective on the medical device crowd is that they want FDA to figure everything out for them, tell them what to do, and how to do it. I was a writer before I was an RA professional, and struggled, as we all do, with the dictum that "the onus to communicate is on the communicator." That's harsh, but ultimately true.

I have always thought it was entirely up to the company to figure it out, then explain it to FDA in a way that FDA can understand it too. Because I don't think FDA inherently understands a lot of what industry thinks (or would like to think) it does, or "should." Maybe not even a lot of what FDA thinks (or would like to think) it does, or "should." So here, I would be inclined to say, perhaps FDA didn't explain why it wasn't enough, because FDA is in no position to know, and you failed to convince it otherwise. Or perhaps because it simply didn't meet the breakthrough criteria, and FDA understood that very well, even if you didn't.

Again, this is an effort at enlightenment, not offense. I'm in no position to know if that shoe fits you or not. Just that I see enough feet in those shoes, they are invariably the first shoes that come to mind. Certainly sometimes the FDA is just...whatever...and you are simply never going to get through to them.
Oh, we've been through that stage. :) We learned that you really need to put a lot of effort to communicate a clear message because a lot of it gets lost in translation and then you have a big mess to resolve. However, this is now a bit beyond that initial hurdle, so we just need to find another way or put a pause on the US market and wait, which is the least favorite option.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V FDA 510K - Pre Submission Query US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
L Notified Body submission - Pre-filled syringes EU Medical Device Regulations 2
B How to submit Pre-submission to FDA? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
D Pre-Submission after 510(K) Submission? Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
D Redacted pre-submission bundle that you would be willing to share US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
D FDA Pre-Submission Meeting Advice US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
V Writing a Pre-Submission to the FDA 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 62
V 510(K) Cyber Security Documentation for Pre-market Submission (Templates) Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
Ronen E FDA publishes Draft Guidance on Med Dev Pre-Submission Program and Meetings with FDA Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
D New FDA guidance: Pre-Submission Program to replace the pre-IDE Program 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
J Pre-IDE Submission - Outside US Company 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
J Software Validation - Pre submission for an implantable 'surgical mesh' device Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 5
Moncia Full system pre certification audit ISO 50001 Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 8
H Pre-production units & Purchasing/Supplier/Material controls ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
Watchcat How are pre-subs going these days? Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
N Pre-Clinical Performance Testing Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
DuncanGibbons Pre FAI production terminology AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
leftoverture Pre-Launch vs Safe Launch IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
M Pre-Sub preparation (for de Novo request) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
B In house NIOSH pre Testing accepted by NIOSH? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
M AS9100D Registrar pre-audit requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 15
C EU MDR - Annex II 6.1 Pre-clinical and clinical data EU Medical Device Regulations 4
D Deciding whether or not pre-market clinical investigation is required for low risk device EU Medical Device Regulations 5
V Supplier wants to perform pre-qualifications prior to every run instead of locking in parameters. Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
F Internal Audit before Pre-Assessment ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
H Queries: RFD & Pre-RFD Program Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
J Design file for pre-existing products - Inputs and Outputs ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
R Gauge R&R on pre-set torque wrench Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
D Pre-Production Capability Assesment Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 5
M Is there any pre-defined Control plan format/template acc. VDA? VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 1
J Pre-clinical Studies for RUO Product Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
M Informational Health Canada guidance document – Pre-market Requirements for Medical Device Cybersecurity Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
J Custom-made implants (Class IIb) and pre-commercialization clinical trials in Spain EU Medical Device Regulations 4
C Shipping Medical Devices to US before pre market clearance US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
A UDI requirements for pre-filled combination devices - Box containing a pre-filled device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
M Informational MDCG 2019-3 Interpretation of Article 54(2)b – Pre- market clinical evaluation consultation procedure with the involvement of expert panels Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
I Bench Testing & Pre-verification vs. Formal verification 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
M Medical Device News Health Canada – Consultation: Pre-market Requirements for Medical Device Cybersecurity Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
L 510 (K) Pre-Sub meeting - Does it worth? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
A Examples of Pre-Sub, SRD, PMA Shells and Templates Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
B Manufacturing site relocation of pre amendment Class II medical device Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
A Users won't return devices from pre-CE performance evaluation study EU Medical Device Regulations 3
B GM GP-12 Pre-Launch - They asking for a I chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
GoSpeedRacer Pre-Work and Study for ISO 13485:2016 Lead Auditor Class ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
S Pre-release version of the upcoming AIAG FMEA Revision 5 FMEA and Control Plans 1
V Is 'Compliance' a pre-requisite or is it ok before Batch Release to Market? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
P EASA STC (Supplemental Type Certificate) on a Pre-mod FAA STC Configuration EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 1
H Pre compliance test for Glucometer Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
V Pre-dispensed API material received in predetermined quantities & given to production Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
R Is pre-conditioning supplier component before incoming inspection tests allowed? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 16