Precision Balance Verification and Calibration Process

Dongzkie

Involved In Discussions
Equipment's specification Max 820g with a readability of 0.01g
Process : BareWire GramWeight, Min:2.947 Max:56.96

Test Weights Available:
50g(1pc),20g(2pcs),5g(1pc),10g(1pc),2g(2pcs),1g(1pc)
2mg(1),20mg(2),10mg(1),50mg(1),100mg(1),200mg(1),500mg(1)
500g(1) and 200g(2) <<<<< Expired External Calibration Certificate

Questions:
1. What is the correct test weights do i use during my verification or calibration with regards to the Process
2. Can I use a test weights with an expired calibration certificate as a dummy load?

Thank you very much :rolleyes:

BradM

Staff member
Admin
Equipment's specification Max 820g with a readability of 0.01g
Process : BareWire GramWeight, Min:2.947 Max:56.96

Test Weights Available:
50g(1pc),20g(2pcs),5g(1pc),10g(1pc),2g(2pcs),1g(1pc)
2mg(1),20mg(2),10mg(1),50mg(1),100mg(1),200mg(1),500mg(1)
500g(1) and 200g(2) <<<<< Expired External Calibration Certificate

Questions:
1. What is the correct test weights do i use during my verification or calibration with regards to the Process
2. Can I use a test weights with an expired calibration certificate as a dummy load?

Thank you very much :rolleyes:
Hi there!:bigwave:

1. What is the correct test weights do i use during my verification or calibration with regards to the Process?
There are lots of approaches and philosophies on points to check equipment. But generally, one wants to check across the use range. So for this balance, I might be tempted to check at 10, 25, 50, 75, and 90%, minimally. However, it all depends on how you intend on using the balance. If say you weigh a lot of product at 20grams, then you would want to verify the balance at that point.

What would you need a dummy load for? What would be the purpose? Saying anything you put on the balance to ascertain any error in the balance, I would assure it has been calibrated by a competent vendor. You want to assure your mass standards aren't gaining/losing significantly.

:topic:

Do you have a procedure on how to calibrate the balances? If you have not generated one, I would start working on that. If you have not purchased it, Handbook 44 would be a great start. You can base your practices and such on it, but I would write your own. That way, it will be more applicable for your operation, and be much shorter. :D

Be sure to include handling the weights, how to move the balances, estimating uncertainty, remedial action (if one is out of tolerance), etc. :agree1:

Top Bottom