Precontrol and Process Capability - CNC Lathes that run small batches - Short Runs

S

Steven Sulkin

Trying to determine what type of control chart to apply...

We two CNC Lathes that run small batches. These batches may be of different material and configurations which require setups between runs. There is a lot of variation between runs (due to setups) and very little variation within runs (variation in lathe).

I would appreciate a recommendation. If you successfully implemented SPC in this circumstance an example would also be appreciated.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
R

Roger Eastin

We had a similar situation and used some of the "short-run" SPC techniques to help us. It requires, among other things, to know the sigma of each "within set-up" run. By normalizing the "gross sigma" for the process, you can have one set of modified control limits for each NC machine. This technique allows you to focus on the machine and not just the part that you are fabricating. We used this technique years back and it worked. You do lose some resolution on the control limits, but we found that the gains outweighed the loss due to resolution. Anyway, check out some books on this topic in the ASQ Publications catalogue.

D

Don Winton

Trying to determine what type of control chart to apply
I am not sure I can help here. Control chart applications are very dependent on usage. It sounds as if your chart is varying across setups, but I need more details.

There are some alternatives to the traditional control chart in this type (small run) which may be of help. Under the assumption that each run is different, you may want to look at a pre-control type of technique.

Perhaps I could be more help if additional details were provided. Or, perhaps someone else has had this experience. Personally, I have found control charts for short runs rather, in a word, lacking.

Regards,
Don

------------------
Just the ramblings of an Old Wizard Warrior.

D
precontrol and process capability

Are there any statistical formulas that relate precontrol data to process capability indices?

D

D.Scott

dmac - I am not sure this is what you are looking for but here it is anyway for what it is worth.

To establish a pre-control chart, it must be assumed that the process is normally distributed with a Cpk of at least 1.0. It can then be statistically shown that 86% of the product will be within the control lines with 7% in each of the other sections.

As there is no statistical data taken or analyzed, it is important to only use pre-control on a process known to be stable.

I am sure there are others who can add a lot to this but at least it may help to get you started.

Dave

M

MSAFAI

1- Check normality by using a Histogram of your data.

2- You can have a ROUGH estimate of process capability by taking standard deviation of your data and calculating Ppk.

3- I don't know to what extent you can rely on the above calculation, because using a Pre-control chart you cannot be sure your process is under control (a prerequisit to determining capability)

Any other ideas?

MSAFAI

C

Chemman

Steve: We two CNC Lathes that run small batches. These batches may be of different material and configurations which require setups between runs. There is a lot of variation between runs (due to setups) and very little variation within runs (variation in lathe).

I have a similar problem, but unable to use any SPC that I know of. We take a batch of material, mold it, cure it in an oven under clamped pressure, grind it, scorch it, then take 5 pcs/batch (batch = approx 3000 parts) and do various physical tests on it. SPC is not done on the process, but the end result of these operations.
So for example, the density of the part is measured per batch as a subgroup. This charateristic is affected by every operation above beginning with the material batch, potentially processed on 1 of 3 presses, through 1 of 6 ovens, 4 clamping stations,etc. It is not possible to keep these separate and plot individually. Each control chart subgroup is from a different batch of material and off a multitude of processes and equipment.

Limits are very tight from Rbar, which makes the charts look terrible from subgroup to subgroup variation, but still very controlled compared to the specifications. This is hard to explain to vistors that do not understand the complexity of the problem.

To me, it seems that these could be considered different setups, processes, or population just as you would expect a mean shift for a different lot of steel in a fineblank press.

When things appear to go out of control, there is not much you can do to react to the problem. There is no adjustment at this point in the process because the parts are already made. Because this happens very frequently and because of the huge number of influencing factors, you can't investigate everything and record the reaction as required for OUC conditions. Some real assignable causes can be determined after a week or two if your lucky, others are just ellusive despite DOE after DOE. I have began to think that this level of variation is normal, little more can be done to improve it, and that a lot of my problem is the use of control charts that shouldn't be applied to this situation. I think standard Xbar & R charts are inappropriate here. Anyone agree or am I out in left field?

Thanks,
Chemman

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
When Does Pre-Control Make Sense?

D.Scott said:

dmac - I am not sure this is what you are looking for but here it is anyway for what it is worth.

To establish a pre-control chart, it must be assumed that the process is normally distributed with a Cpk of at least 1.0. It can then be statistically shown that 86% of the product will be within the control lines with 7% in each of the other sections.

As there is no statistical data taken or analyzed, it is important to only use pre-control on a process known to be stable.

I am sure there are others who can add a lot to this but at least it may help to get you started.

Dave
So.... Under what circumstances does pre-control make sense?

R

Ravi Khare

D.Scott said:

Dave
I thought I had read somewhere that precontrol does not assume normality, and is free of distribution shape.... I can't recollect the source, so I may just be wrong!

Offcourse if normality was not assumed there would be no estimates of the Alfa and Beta errors.

Has anyone else come across this reference of Precontrol being free of the normality assumption?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Precontrol Charts for unilateral tolerances on 'new' processes Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 23
M Precontrol - What if two points are exactly on the limit? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
T SPC for Improvement? (was PreControl) SPC is great for stability! Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
D SPC for Short Runs (Control Limits) vs. Precontrol charts (Specification Limits) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
B Using Unreleased Documents & Process Maps for Internal Audit purposes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
I Release checklist EO sterilization process Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
V Informational SMMT IATF Oversight - OEM KPI Process IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
M Description of the requirements of clause 9.2.2.3 manufacturing process audit- needs your feedback IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
Stoic Are any medical device companies using the 2011 FDA process validation guidance instead of GHTF/SG3/N99-10:2004? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
T Design Control Procedures later in the Development Process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
K Process Mapping - Inputs/Outputs/Detail Activities/Control points/Measurement? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
D Social Media Feedback process for Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
P Images of Product for Automated Process - How long to keep? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
J Where to Place Process Maps in our Documentation? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
N Small Company - Internal audit process - Who does the audit? Internal Auditing 4
B Supplier of design and manufacture process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
D Calibration Process Flow Map Example Wanted General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
G Devices from IQ, OQ or PQ process to be used for verification, validation and summative? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
Pmarszal External Standards and Regulations Management Process Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
A Design process goal for ISO 9001 Manufacturing and Related Processes 21
S Process Map for Supplier Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
A UDI and Design Controls - Labeling change via the Design Control process 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
K Procedure equals a process? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 16
J ISO 14001 revision process ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 1
M What is the average time needed for process documentation? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
K Changes in process dispersion, and location hypotheses tests Using Minitab Software 3
M Process Creation Advice Needed Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
S How to start with ISO process in project based team - Documentation Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
H Human Resources Process Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
R Process control documents - Context of API Spec Q1, Clause 5.7.1.3 Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
M MSDS process audit - Can any one give idea for checklist of the same Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 14
A How to set up Continuous CpK monitoring of an injection mold process Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 7
N Design Verification & Process Validation - Statistical sample sizes Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
E Equipment Qualification - IQ/OQ per ISO 13485:2016 section 7.5.6 Process validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
J KPIs or Metrics to Measure a New Complaint Handling Process 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
C Design and implementation of process audits as defined within IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
F AS9100D Process Matrix for a small cnc machine shop AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 6
C AS9100 Rev D 8.1.1 & APQP - Operational risk management process AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 0
J Powered wheelchairs (Class IIa) in the process of CE marking and use in hospitals CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
B Corrective and Preventive Action (CAPA) A Key Process of the Quality Management System Dec 17... Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
Watchcat Does 820.30 include the manufacturing process? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
Watchcat Does ISO 13485 7.3 include the manufacturing process? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 14
U What is the process for making updates to our Processes? Design and Development of Products and Processes 11
A Process Documentation for ISO 9001:2015 Internal Auditing 2
bobdoering Informational New AIAG PFMEA Process - Excel Template Attached FMEA and Control Plans 18
V IATF 16949 9.2.2.1 Internal Audit Program - "Process Changes" IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
M Informational Critical Thinking and the Process of Evidence-Based Practice Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
K Differences between Manufacturing Process Audit & Layered Process Audit Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
F Process Review - What is the ISO requirement for reviewing SOPs and quality documentation? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
B VDA 6.3 Qualification as Process Auditor training course and exam VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 0