Predating Document Effective Date

QuinnM

Involved In Discussions
Opinions…

A document has an effective date of 5-Jan-2017.

All approvers signed the document on 20-Feb-2017, after the effective date.

Would this be an issue for the FDA or EU (ISO 13485/MDD)?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
What would happen if one or more "approvers" refused to do so for some reason?

In short - A document must be reviewed and approved prior to use.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Opinions…

Hello QuinnM and welcome to the Cove :bigwave:

A pedantic auditor might make a minor observation off that.
A reasonable auditor will likely treat the date the last approver signed off as the de-facto effective date.

v9991

Trusted Information Resource
Opinions…
as principle & practice, "Effective date" is assigned after approval & training. (beyond what Marc has pointed out, training before approving the procedure is not a good practice; especially not recommended (objectionable) for revision/changes to the SOP)

Opinions…
Agree with Ronen; this would certainly be an issue (observation) for an auditor; from perspective of document-control & change management.

Marc

Staff member
Admin
I'm a bit prickly about document control. In DoD work, such a document would be close to fraud, will ring all sorts of bells and throw up red flags. A document simply isn't effective until review(s) and approval(s) are complete. After that it may be given an "effective date" and released. HOWEVER, no person(s) can use it until the person(s) has (have) been trained on it.

Were I an ISO 9001 auditor, if there was a "one off", you'd get a "gimme" (no problem - observation probably). But if it was a common practice it would be a major finding in document control, were I the auditor. It simply isn't the way a valid document control system works.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
I'm not in Medical at all, so read this with that knowledge in case it makes a difference.

You do stuff (a process- rev A)
At some point the process must be changed for a valid reason (a process - rev B) {Day 10}
...but you're not sure rev B process works...
So you try it {Day 15}, and test it {Day 25}, and tweak it {Day 50}, and validate it {Day 75} until you have a process that works again.
Now you have to update your document, and do so {Day 85}
...and it gets approved... {Day 100}
...and distributed for use {Day 101}

Which day did you start "using the process" ? Pretty much Day 50
When did you confirm it was the right process to be using? Pretty much Day 75
When did you document it? Pretty much Day 85
When was the doc approved? Day 100
When was the approved document distributed for use? Day 101

Which one is the "effective date"?
If it is de-facto Day 100...what did you do with the stuff made by that exact same process earlier than that?

The document is "effective" when people have the ability to follow the approved document...Day 101.
The use of the process documented started Day 50.
The use of the documented process started on Day 101.

I guess the real question here is whether the documentation follows the process, or vice versa. Chicken and Egg-ish.

If I ran 5 days production as a final validation before locking it down in the approved doc...do I really have to scrap it all, after following the exact same process in all respects, just because the Document de-facto effective date is later?

Marc

Staff member
Admin
I can see this, Ninja, but then you are going to have to put in special controls as you "test and tweak". I know the process you describe is often used. In fact, I put such documents in "Level 5" of a document hierarchy back in the 1990's along with "Temporary Change" documents. Did that in the 1980's in DoD work.

Your description is of a "special circumstance" situation. Whether or not you have to "scrap it all" depends upon the contract language as well as communication/coordination with the customer(s). It is also often referred to as a "running process change". It often involves a contract change, and I have seen customers wanting a lower price since the original contract was for a specific part made by a specific process. This is where "why are you changing the process" can become an issue for discussion with the customer.

Then again, if a company is making drywall screws to sell to hardware stores a process change will likely not be an issue. How big of an issue it is depends upon the actual product. How about titanium joints for humans? How abut heart valves and artificial hearts? What about rubber ducks for children to play with in the bathroom?

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Were I an ISO 9001 auditor, if there was a "one off", you'd get a "gimme" (no problem - observation probably). But if it was a common practice it would be a major finding in document control, were I the auditor. It simply isn't the way a valid document control system works.
Yes, I agree, I addressed it as a one-off.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
I'm not in Medical at all, so read this with that knowledge in case it makes a difference.

You do stuff (a process- rev A)
At some point the process must be changed for a valid reason (a process - rev B) {Day 10}
...but you're not sure rev B process works...
So you try it {Day 15}, and test it {Day 25}, and tweak it {Day 50}, and validate it {Day 75} until you have a process that works again.
Now you have to update your document, and do so {Day 85}
...and it gets approved... {Day 100}
...and distributed for use {Day 101}

Which day did you start "using the process" ? Pretty much Day 50
When did you confirm it was the right process to be using? Pretty much Day 75
When did you document it? Pretty much Day 85
When was the doc approved? Day 100
When was the approved document distributed for use? Day 101

Which one is the "effective date"?
If it is de-facto Day 100...what did you do with the stuff made by that exact same process earlier than that?

The document is "effective" when people have the ability to follow the approved document...Day 101.
The use of the process documented started Day 50.
The use of the documented process started on Day 101.

I guess the real question here is whether the documentation follows the process, or vice versa. Chicken and Egg-ish.

If I ran 5 days production as a final validation before locking it down in the approved doc...do I really have to scrap it all, after following the exact same process in all respects, just because the Document de-facto effective date is later?
I do come from the medical field, so what I write applies mostly (if not only) to it.

I actually don't like the concept of a formal "effective date" (ie something printed on the document itself) at all. I'm fine with a declared effective date in change control documentation though. In my opinion and experience an effective date is more of a result than an origin, though it's useful to document a target effective date for purposes of orderly management. What I do find important is a documented understanding of when a document becomes effective, and in my opinion using the last approval signature's date for that purpose is simple, practical and typically regulatory-compliant. I can't remember a regulatory requirement that dictates imprinting a formal effective date. All quality systems I have been involved with (there were one or two :)) implemented that approach.

Coming back to Ninja's questions, in the medical industry products made for final validation are typically usable / sellable provided that the (documented) settings used in their making are within the eventually approved ones. Such products are usually quarantined until final approval and then released for use / sale. Products made prior to the final validation (usually smaller quantities) are typically scrapped / recycled / archived (depending on the particulars).

Cheers,
Ronen.

Last edited:

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
Good responses so far. :agree1:

I cannot understand why have both an "effective date" and an approved date. A document becomes effective at the time it is released, that is after all approvals are completed; as has been pointed out, one of the approvers may have asked for a change.

If you must have an effective date, it should be the date the revised document was released to users. So says the ex-Document Control Queen... (did it for almost four years)
:2cents:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Document Approval Matrix Benchmarking Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
J Document Approval Signature Order Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
L How to add exemption or statement to control of document procedure? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M What is the proper way to document measurements Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
P Equipment 21 CFR 820.70(g) - User Requirements Document for Off the shelf equipment 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
B Do IFU designs have to be document controlled under ISO 13485? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
C Certificate of Conformance Form - COC for each customer a controlled document? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
A Document "Correspondence IATF 16949 vs ISO13485" available? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
R Document Retention - Discard hard-copies after scanning? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
P Mylar plot suppliers in accordance with D6-51991 document AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
A Document Change Notice vs complete System re-write Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
Q Document approval through SharePoint (without signature) Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 4
S What is considered a "core algorithm"? (From an FDA guidance document) Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 4
U Document Approval - Software company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
O Please, help with document on ISO/ TS 17758 and (IDF 87: 1979). Thank you. Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
K Proper document of SMPS used in infant warmer for IEC 60601-1 testing IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
I Nitpicking on document released dates ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
I Document Control on Log Files ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Q Refusal to Document Complaints Customer Complaints 39
Q Tracking Procedure Revisions (Document Control) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
C Document Control Stamps - Does anyone still stamp their documents? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 24
I Master Document Access - ISO 9001:2015 clause 7.5.3 Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
I Can a document (form) approval record be separate? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
I Control of Documentation Distribution - Document Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
T Advice needed - Environmental MS - unwritten but customer requests policy document ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 5
T Control of downloaded document copies by employees Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
T Document control ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
I Is highlighting on a printed document considered a change? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
C QMS Document Management Software Recommendations Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 14
E Part 11 Compliance, Excel living documents (i.e. document master list, equipment list, approved supplier list) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
Sidney Vianna Informational New IAQG Document - AS9100 Clarifications of Intent AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
S How to determine & document Organizational Knowledge of a company Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
D Are medical device companies required to document every change made to their website? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
M Informational IMDRF draft document – Principles and Practices for Medical Device Cybersecurity Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Nonconformity for missing form number on the job description document Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
R Training Matrix for Document revisions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
S Controlled Document Location Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Setting deadlines (ex. 45 days) for Document Registration & Review Cycle Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Informational IMDRF draft document – Requirements for Regulatory Authority Recognition of Conformity Assessment Bodies Conducting Medical Device Regulatory Reviews Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
B AS9110 Audit Check Sheet wanted Excel or Word Document AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
D Document review on already approved registrations requested by China's NMPA? China Medical Device Regulations 3
O Vendor vs Engineering Document Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
Z 21 CFR and Annex 11 mapping document Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
A ISO9001:2015 Document control and training aids ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Sidney Vianna AS9100 News New AS9104-1 Document to be released around April 2020 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
I Tracking Protoype Changes; 8D or simple document revision? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
H Transfer of Document Ownership Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Informational IMDRF proposed document – IMDRF terminologies for categorized Adverse Event Reporting (AER): terms, terminology structure and codes (Edition 4) – Anne Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
GreatNate Document Control info - What is required on a controlled form/document for ISO 9001: 2015? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
G Warning about Deltronic Gage Pins - The "Certification of Accuracy" document General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13