SBS - The best value in QMS software

Predicate Device - Question on Biocompatibility and IEC 60601-1 Testing Requirements

M

melissa66

I found a predicate device for my device. The predicate did a lot of testing....like biocompatibility and IEC 60601-1. my question is, if my predicate completed these tests, does that mean that I have to have the same testing done too? Is that a requirement when using a SE?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
T

temujin

Re: Predicate Device - Question on testing requirements

hi,

Having found a predicate device does not exempt you from testing your product.

It might simplify things, i.e. you can submit a 510(k) to the FDA instead of a PMA. Requirements to Clinically Validate your product might be less stringent.

All product safety tests have to be done with your product.

regards
t.

Ajit Basrur

Staff member
Admin

I found a predicate device for my device. The predicate did a lot of testing....like biocompatibility and IEC 60601-1. my question is, if my predicate completed these tests, does that mean that I have to have the same testing done too? Is that a requirement when using a SE?
If you with the very definition of What is Substantial Equivalence ? , it states -

A device is substantially equivalent if, in comparison to a predicate it does not raise new questions of safety and effectiveness; and demonstrates that the device is at least as safe and effective as the legally marketed device.

A claim of substantial equivalence does not mean the new and predicate devices must be identical. Substantial equivalence is established with respect to intended use, design, energy used or delivered, materials, chemical composition, manufacturing process, performance, safety, effectiveness, labeling, biocompatibility, standards, and other characteristics, as applicable.

Marcelo

Inactive Registered Visitor

If you work in a risk management framework (let´s say, using ISO 14971) a prescription from a standard is nothing more than a previously identified risk control measure (see 6.2 of ISO 14971) and the tests are the ones to verify the implementation and effectiveness of the risk control (see 6.3 of ISO 14971). A predicate device uses protective measures that are deemed acceptable, but you still have to verify implementation and effectiveness of YOUR implementation of these risk controls measures.

M

melissa66

Have you ever completed a label testing? One which shows whether average consumers can comprehend your products' labels/instrustions?

R

regfocus

Re: Predicate Device - Question on Biocompatibility and IEC 60601-1 Testing Requireme

Good question.

Does anyone has more comments? The answers to this question look like still not very straightforward.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Predicate Device Indications for Use US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
S Discontinuation of the Predicate Medical Device Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
Watchcat Does "Similar Device" = "Predicate"? EU Medical Device Regulations 7
S 510k: What to include if your own device is the predicate US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
P Predicate Device Information for 510(k) Submission Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 4
M Predicate device - Search for a Class IIa device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
shrutisancheti Predicate device accelerated aging - 1 year of shelf life is already over Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
K Substantial Equivalence Predicate Device Testing Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
R OTC with Rx Predicate - 510(k) for a Class II medical device Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
E 'Special' 510k as a Predicate Medical Device? Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
T Predicate device recalled - Still a valid predicate device? Other US Medical Device Regulations 7
R Working on a 510(k) that is very similar to the predicate device Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
L Predicate Device for 510(k) - Disposable vs Reusable 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
M Registering a Class II Medical Device with no Predicate Device - FDA 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
S Can a Predicate device be a higher class? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
S Predicate Device Requirements - Firmware vs. Software Updates 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
S Predicate Device Test Results - ASTM F1717 Static and Dynamic Testing 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
H 510(k) Filing and Predicate Device Clinical Data 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
R Which information about predicate device should be included in 510k submission? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
A Characteristics of Predicate Device for 510(k) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
Le Chiffre Selecting a predicate device for FDA 510(k) approval Other US Medical Device Regulations 14
B Submit a 510(k) with a Predicate cleared but not Listed US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 9
M What if information in predicate 510k is obviously wrong? Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
R Identification of Russian Predicate Devices as part of the Registration Process Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
J ISO 13485 Requirements - Design Exclusion - Predicate Products Manufacturer ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
R Reimbursement of an IVD vs. Predicate used in the 510(k) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
G Additional Intended Use Predicate 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
B List all 510K numbers on predicate for 510K? Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
M Can a prescription type material be used as a predicate for an OTC material? Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
S DHF/DMR/MDF for a software-only, cloud-based, single-instance device Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 1
V MDSAP Requirements for Device Designer Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
J Biocompatbility testing on Class 1 device requirements Other US Medical Device Regulations 12
H EU CE marking for Medical Device Class I EU Medical Device Regulations 0
A Medical Device Contract Manufacturer - Does the CM need to register with FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
E Procedure ( SOP) for Device Master Record ( DMR ) and for Device History Record (DHR)? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
JoCam Certified QMS for MDR - Class I medical device manufacturers EU Medical Device Regulations 4
J US Device Listing when not the 510(k) owner Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
R Compatibility studies - Medicinal Product and Medical Device Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
K CE Marking Class 1 (Non sterile) medical device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
G Voluntary Class I Device Filing Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
J Medical Device Regulations in Lebanon? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
J Calibration cycle for monitoring & measuring tools used in medical device manufacturing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
N Is this a single integral drug device combination product EU MDR CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
S Medical Device MRI Compatibility EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A ISO 13485 for Class 1 Medical Device ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
R Components to a finished medical device, MDR requirements Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
J Warnings/Cautions in Medical Device IFU Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 4
L Medical device HIPAA compliance in encryption Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 1
N Validating Software before getting approved as Class 2 device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
M Clinical Benefit of device that only aids in a process for managing or treating disease EU Medical Device Regulations 2