SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Predictive Maintenance activities - Please review my proposed form/criteria

Laura Halleck

Starting to get Involved
My company has recently been through our ISO / TS 16949 transition audit (from QS9000) and had a minor finding for not having evidence of predictive maintenance being done.

We were aware of this gap and had been struggling with how to apply predictive maintenance to our equipment since the typical techniques (vibration analysis, ultrasound, oil analysis, wear-particle analysis, thermography) do not apply or we do not want to spend the money on the equipment or outside service that would be required.

Here is the list that we have now come up with. Please review and provide me with any comments or suggestions you might have. This is our first attempt at applying predictive maintenance and we have no experts in this area.

Equipment 1:
- Check Auger ID / Bore OD of cartridge assembly:
Currently performed as an annual PM task. Will be modified to include measurement and recording of diameters on 3 cartridge assemblies and comparing against min / max limits on a quarterly basis. If diameters go outside of limits, the cartridge assembly will be replaced or adjusted.

Equipment 2:
- Check / adjust blade setting:
Currently performed as monthly PM. Will be modified to include measurement and recording of blade height and comparing against min / max limits on monthly basis. Will be adjusted if outside min / max levels.
- Check / Adjust Head Assembly:
Currently performed as semi-annual service contract PM. Will be modified to include check and record characteristic and condition at which an adjustment would be made by field technician.

Equipment 3:
- Inspect tools:
Currently performed as weekly PM. The machine includes self-monitoring software which will notify the operator if a vacuum loss has occurred in a tool (indication of wear or damage). If the operator is notified of such a vacuum loss, they will inspect the pick up tool in question for wear or damage.

- Check / Adjust strain gauge:
Not currently performed as PM. The machine includes self-monitoring software which will notify the operator if the measured force is outside of the limits. If the operator is notified of such a condition, they will notify the process engineer to adjust the strain gauge to be within the operating window.

Equipment 4:
- Check / replace tool
Not currently performed as PM. Tools may be replaced anywhere between 2.5 to 8 days. Operators will visually evaluate output condition and compare against visual aid twice daily (during regular SPC activity). When output condition matches visual aid, tool is replaced. Will collect information on visual condition in SPC form.

- Check cable:
Currently performed as semi-annual PM by field service technician. Will modify to include watching for a particular indicator to light while processing the SPC units (twice per day) to make sure it is lighting up during the process(cable is connected). Add check box to SPC form to check off that the light was checked. If the light does not fire, the cable will be checked for proper connection.

- Check output force:
Not currently performed as PM, but performed occasionally by process technician. Run force gauge check routine at start of shift and record force in SPC form; compare against min / max limits. If outside of limits, adjust force.

- Check workstage heaters; replace as required
Not currently performed as PM. Pre-heat first piece (start of shift) on workstage and take surface temperature with thermal probe, record in SPC form; compare against min / max limits. if outside of limits, replace heater.

Thanks for your time in reading through all this.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

2.5bostons

Good start

Hi... probably more questions than answers, but willing to help you:)

Do you have any downtime logs or repair logs you can trend out specific repairs?

How often are you planning to do PM?

Weekly? Monthly?

What will be your sustain methodology? How will you track your progress for effectiveness? I.E. when the auditors ask about your program, what will you show for opportunities of improvement

Do you have any other lean activities or continuous improvement initiatives in place?

C

ChuckHughes

Comments of predictive maintenance

Some thoughts:

The distinction between predictive maintenance and preventive maintenance is the signal that tells you to perform maintenance. Preventive maintenance programs are all based on a clock-calendar signal. "Its Tuesday, it must be oil change day".

Predictive maintenance programs are based on a signal that related to the eventual destruction of the equipment. Oil drop analysis of a hydraulic system tells you the degree to which the system is in need of some maintenance. Vibration analysis tells you to what extent the source of the vibration is loose, out of lubrication, or starting to destroy the races/rollers. 1 million strokes on a punch die will create wear lands in excess of acceptable levels.

A program of preventive maintenance needs only a calendar. Predictive maintenance needs more complex and varied signal sources and a way to capture the signals.

You have the start to a predictive program, however you have to set the acceptable limits for your signals not your results like hole diameter. When will you change drills or blades or tool points so that you don't make bad parts? Some study is needed to see what the average wear rates are, etc.

I have seen a very clever use of SPC in monitoring amp draw on a screw machine that produces common parts almost continuously. The repeated patterns of amp draw over the cycle of machining the part are plotted and as tool points wear (and cause higher than normal readings) or points break off (and cause lower than normal reading at the start of the cycle) the machine shuts down. You can tell if the metal is harder or thicker that normal with this monitoring program also. Pretty slick.. stops when one part is bad.

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
lhalleck said:
My company has recently been through our ISO / TS 16949 transition audit (from QS9000) and had a minor finding for not having evidence of predictive maintenance being done.

We were aware of this gap and had been struggling with how to apply predictive maintenance to our equipment since the typical techniques (vibration analysis, ultrasound, oil analysis, wear-particle analysis, thermography) do not apply or we do not want to spend the money on the equipment or outside service that would be required.

Here is the list that we have now come up with. Please review and provide me with any comments or suggestions you might have. This is our first attempt at applying predictive maintenance and we have no experts in this area.

Equipment 1:
- Check Auger ID / Bore OD of cartridge assembly:
Currently performed as an annual PM task. Will be modified to include measurement and recording of diameters on 3 cartridge assemblies and comparing against min / max limits on a quarterly basis. If diameters go outside of limits, the cartridge assembly will be replaced or adjusted.

Equipment 3:
- Inspect tools:
Currently performed as weekly PM. The machine includes self-monitoring software which will notify the operator if a vacuum loss has occurred in a tool (indication of wear or damage). If the operator is notified of such a vacuum loss, they will inspect the pick up tool in question for wear or damage.

- Check / Adjust strain gauge:
Not currently performed as PM. The machine includes self-monitoring software which will notify the operator if the measured force is outside of the limits. If the operator is notified of such a condition, they will notify the process engineer to adjust the strain gauge to be within the operating window.

Chuck Hughes gave a good working definition of Predictive and Preventive Maintenance.

From my quick read, items 1 and 3 sound like predictive types of maintenance. I don't believe that either QS or TS is nitpicky about the particular definition, but simply want to drive your thinking in how you apply maintenance beyond jsut fundamental PM stuff, to a level where maintenance as a process improves overall process performance.

I suspect they were influenced by TPM principles when they wrote this section. (By the way, this was a QS requirement as well.)

Laura Halleck

Starting to get Involved
Thanks for all your replies.

Hi All,

Thank you so much for taking the time to read through my long post and replying to me.

Here's some answers to your questions...

2.5 bostons:
We have downtime logs, but just implemented them last month (mid-April - about 2 weeks before our audit). We did review them as we developed this list. One of the items on the list is based on this review. The other downtime issues were determined to be random in nature or not something we could have predicted before failure.

Depending on the equipment and type of maintenance, we do PM weekly, monthly, quarterly, semi-annually, and annually. In the descriptions, I listed the frequencies these things were being done as regular PM.

As far as the sustaining methodolody is concerned, I would be insterested in hearing your suggestions about this as well. This is where we've had problems in the past.

For effectiveness, we plan to review our downtime logs on a monthly basis against our current PM plan to see if modifications need to be made to the plan. Beside for tracking uptime percentages and on time delivery, I'm not sure what other metrics to use for effectiveness.

We use Six Sigma & Lean as continuous improvement methodologies. I'd be interested in hearing any suggestions for how to tie that in to the PM program.

ChuckHughes:
I'm guessing that you're referring to the diameter measurements for equipment 1. This is actually a tool (dispenser) that wears over time, thereby enlarging the space between the inner part and outer part and reducing the effectiveness of the tool. Right now, we only check this on a yearly basis and don't record the data. We are hoping that this will help us to change out these tools before the tool fails. This seems in line with your description of predictive maintenance.

hjilling:
I know this was a QS requirement as well, but our auditor never held us to it in the past. We were always able to explain why it didn't apply to us and were left alone about it. Now, he wants it done.

Thanks again.

B

bgwiehle

While reading through the list of maintenance activities, I wondered

- if the all the measuring equipment referenced (strain gauges, load cells, temperature probes, etc.) is included in your calibration system?
- if your control programs are self-checking (machine stops/ rejects all product, if the sensors fail or fail to cycle)?

While not applicable to your original question, addressing any gaps in these areas could also be helpful.

B.G. Wiehle

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
lhalleck said:
...predictive maintenance.

hjilling:
I know this was a QS requirement as well, but our auditor never held us to it in the past. We were always able to explain why it didn't apply to us and were left alone about it. Now, he wants it done.

Thanks again.

Yeah, well, ya can "pay me now or pay me later"...

My daughter sometimes wonders why I insist she get timely oil changes, since the car doesn't seem to run any better with or without the oil change, but this stuff matters.

Time to pay up...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Predictive Maintenance Format / Example Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
M TS 16949 Clause 7.5.1.4 Preventive and Predictive Maintenance - Requirements Scope IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
R Preventative Maintenance - Moving to a Predictive Maintenance Program Manufacturing and Related Processes 10
M Predictive Maintenance Data Collection IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
T Preventive Tool Maintenance - Preventive and Predictive Maintenance requirements Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
G Predictive Maintenance Services IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
K Monitoring Tool Wear for Predictive Maintenance - Data evaluation methodogy IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
D How to interpret TS Clause 7.5.1.4 Preventive and Predictive Maintenance? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
Q Predictive Maintenance Suggestions IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
M Predictive Maintenance - Confused about what can be considered predictive maintenance IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
M Definition Predictive Maintenance vs Preventive Maintenance - Definitions Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 3
D Definition Preventive Maintenance vs. Predictive Maintenance - Distinction between Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 20
H What is Predictive Maintenance - MFTB Collection (downtime interval of equipment) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
Marc Predictive Maintenance? GM pitches "smart" cars to cut back on discounts World News 2
R Predictive Maintenance for Plastic Injection Machine IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
S Definition Predictive vs. Preventive Maintenance - TS 16949 Clause 7.5.1 - Definitions of Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 32
M Predictive Maintenance vs SPC (Statistical Process Control) Data Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
R Definition Preventive vs. Predictive Maintenance - What is the difference? TS 16949 - 7.5.1.4. Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 11
F Preventive and Predictive Maintenance - Benchmarking Partner Benchmarking 6
F QS-9000 Clause 4.9.g.1 - Preventive Maintenance - Tool Wear Predictive Maintenance QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 1
D How to setup a system for Predictive Maintenance QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 8
M Preventive and Predictive Maintenance - Information on procedures relating to 4.9.g.1 QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 16
Q Validation of Predictive Models of Yield Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 19
A Predictive Model Development (Regression?) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
H Statistical Models for Predictive Management of Software Processes Software Quality Assurance 2
kedarg6500 Corrective Action (CA) vs. Preventive (Predictive) Action (CAPA) Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 18
K Using the Predictive Index for Job Candidates Career and Occupation Discussions 14
K Predictive Quality Indicators - Manufacture of semiconductor optoelectronic products Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
J CQI-7 - ISO/TS 16949 Implementation Guide and preventive and predictive IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
C How to develop an Equipment / Machinery FMEA - Remember the key word: Predictive FMEA and Control Plans 7
J Corrective Action vs. Preventive (Predictive) Action (CAPA) - A Definitive Discussion Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 177
E Software maintenance Process Software maintenance Process to IEC 6204? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
D Preventive Maintenance vs. General Cleaning ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
J Help settle a disagreement: Should external providers of preventive maintenance be on your ASL? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
F Component maintenance qualification - Regulation (EU) No 1321/2014 Article 5 EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 6
K Generic preventive maintenance form wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
S Quality management system (Well head installation & maintenance) Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 5
T ISO 17025:2017 requirement 5.7.b. about maintenance the integrity of the management system ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
A Feedback of typical maintenance problems with LMI digital probes Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
S Are there ISO9001:2015 Requirements for Preventive Maintenance? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 36
Q Software SOP - Use and maintenance of an ERP system Software Quality Assurance 6
R Robotic weld cell - maintenance issues - expertise needed Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
J Requirements for Layered Process Audits including Maintenance, Shipping, Receiving IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
D Preventive Maintenance Implementation 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
D Preventative Maintenance for Gages, handtools etc Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
C Determining if Maintenance Contractor is an External Service subject to ISO 9001 Clause 8.4 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 43
C Maintenance of Product Technical Documentation EU Medical Device Regulations 3
R IATF 16949 Clause 8.5.1.6 a) maintenance and repair facilities - Production tooling management and personnel IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
qualprod Best criteria to measure Corrective Action effectiveness - Poor Maintenance ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
M Minitab tool to evaluate PM (Preventive Maintenance) process Using Minitab Software 6