Preferred mode of facilitation - Teach vs Lecture

v9991

Trusted Information Resource
they look synonyms, but I tend to interpret them as,
Teach:- more of hand-on and hand-holding exercise of walking through examples/case-studies.
Lecture :- more of an exposition or ways/means to approach, interpret, handle a particular subject (more of directive, guidance)

and answer could also be "it depends"!!!
i keep receiving this feedback...some one says faster-pace; more case studies!
etc.,

apart from demographic spread of experience, & interact on topic; I was wondering if that is to with my style of facilitating the sessions...

my query, is how to handle a training session on new topic for on-the-job training on new concepts and training for scientific community.

any guidance.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
they look synonyms, but I tend to interpret them as,
Teach:- more of hand-on and hand-holding exercise of walking through examples/case-studies.
Lecture :- more of an exposition or ways/means to approach, interpret, handle a particular subject (more of directive, guidance)

and answer could also be "it depends"!!!
i keep receiving this feedback...some one says faster-pace; more case studies!
etc.,

apart from demographic spread of experience, & interact on topic; I was wondering if that is to with my style of facilitating the sessions...

my query, is how to handle a training session on new topic for on-the-job training on new concepts and training for scientific community.

any guidance.
I've been helping folks LEARN for more years than most of our Cove readers have been alive. In my experience, folks who want to be successful at helping folks learn try to avoid using terms which reinforce the difference in demographics and culture between instructor and student. Smart business folks have learned to be "customer-centric" to increase acceptability of goods and services by their target prospects.

Similarly, would-be teachers MUST consider the students as customers and work toward becoming more customer-centric and individualized in dealing with students rather than treating them as some "great unwashed mob of semi-literates."

Over the last 50 years, I've dealt with students ranging from those who could not read or write ANY language to those who have even more advanced degrees than I, literate and fluent in three or four languages. I find the most critical factor in helping these students achieve competency in the particular topic under consideration is helping them find a reason (emotional or logical) to WANT TO LEARN. Each student may have a different reason; without that reason, there is little motive to accept the knowledge placed at the student's disposal. Without acceptance, the teacher may as well be dealing with a room full of cardboard cutouts with the same resultant penetration of knowledge.

Especially when dealing with folks who are already highly educated, the surest turnoff is to go over ground most of the students may have more academic and practical knowledge about than the instructor. Yet, time after time, I have monitored so-called "training sessions" where, for example, the facilitator, reading from a text and mispronouncing many of the words, was trying to teach basic kitchen hygiene to a conference of registered dieticians. It demonstrated two major errors:

1. an unnecessary course
  2. an ill-trained, ill-prepared instructor.
Needless to say, it was a complete debacle, with the "facilitator" being booed off the platform after ten minutes of a scheduled forty minute program.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Defining a Quality System from scratch - Preferred system and documentation names Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
Sam Lazzara Preferred Location for Revision History Section in Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 16
M GMDN PT Codes vs. FDA Preferred Term (PT) Codes Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
Q CB (most preferred in USA?) ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
M Canada preferred Name Code (PNC) Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
F UMDNS and GMDN Codes - When a Preferred Term has been Retired Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
R Preferred online payment methods After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 19
hogheavenfarm What is the preferred Inspection Method of Stainless Steel for Cracks Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
B Why is the Mean preferred over Median in Control Charts? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 12
B Preferred methodology for internal audits - CEO says we're spending too much time Internal Auditing 8
B Product Audit Planning / Frequency /Scope - Is anyone aware of preferred methods? General Auditing Discussions 11
A Attribute vs. Variables Data - Variable data preferred over Attribute - Auto Industry Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
A Purchasing 4.6 - Statement on purchase orders: QS-9000 compliance preferred QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 4
T Annual Validation as a detection mode on a PFMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 5
C Failure mode at 0h, vs. 1 year vs. 5 year... FMEA and Control Plans 8
Ahang "DIRECT MODE" or "ADJUSTED MODE" according to ISO 80601-2-56 Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
P Detection rating for a user (surgeon) related failure mode in DFMEA APQP and PPAP 3
Marc Skins - Experimental "Dark" Mode Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 9
B Is a Topical Antiseptic a Physical Mode of Action? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
T Question: Do we consider 60601-1-2 (4th ed) EMC testing a mode for a diagnostic port? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
N PFMEA Potential Failure Mode for Weight FMEA and Control Plans 5
Z Failure Mode Identification in PFMEA according to AIAG FMEA Rev.4 FMEA and Control Plans 6
A Failure Mode from Operator "Components Fallen but Loaded" FMEA and Control Plans 3
P UFMEA - Use Failure Mode Effects Analysis FMEA and Control Plans 7
Sean Kelley Seeking Feedback on ASQ Guide to Failure Mode and Effect Analysis FMEA and Control Plans 2
J Should failure mode caused by Fixture problem be into PFMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 2
T Would a Leak be a Failure Mode on a Design FMEA? Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
A Destructive Testing Failure Mode Sampling Plan Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
A FPA (Failure Prevention Analysis) and FMA (Failure Mode Avoidance) info wanted FMEA and Control Plans 6
L Cause vs. Mode in Process Control and Rankings FMEA and Control Plans 7
G Relation b/n Process Failure Mode RPN Value and the associated Process Failure Cost FMEA and Control Plans 3
P TIG Welding NG Mode Matrix for Robo Welding process IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
P Problem with "failure mode? interpretation in PFMEA (Process FMEA) FMEA and Control Plans 8
bobdoering Honda's in crisis mode, cuts outlook World News 0
S Process Failure Mode Effects Analysis (PFMEA) Basics FMEA and Control Plans 4
S Basic PFMEA (Process Failure Mode Effects and Analysis) Questions FMEA and Control Plans 22
kedarg6500 Potential Failure Mode - Mix Charge for Hardness - Casting Process FMEA and Control Plans 1
N Definition Potential Failure Mode Definition and How to identify Failure Modes? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 33
I Failure Mode help for Assembly Processes FMEA and Control Plans 8
M Difference between potential failure mode and potential effects of failure FMEA and Control Plans 11
W Plastic Part Painting/Spray Failure Mode - Sample PFMEA or control plan Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
W Potential Failure Mode - Machine Stroke not in specification FMEA and Control Plans 7
A Process FMEA - Help in deciding "detection ranking" of a failure mode FMEA and Control Plans 5
J DRBFM (Design Review Based on Failure Mode) - Toyota method Design and Development of Products and Processes 46
B How to demonstrate management commitment? Audit Failure Mode ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
A I have two doubts about PFMEA failure modes - How should I describe a "failure mode" FMEA and Control Plans 24
G Mechanical Failure as a Failure Mode in the PFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 28
Wes Bucey "Failure Mode Effect Analysis" 2nd Ed. by D.H. Stamatis Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 4
S Failure Mode SPC Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
Y Design (DFMEA) and Process (PFMEA) FMEA Failure Mode Identification Design and Development of Products and Processes 8