Preparing a Root Cause Report - Possible Root Causes

sebastr23

Starting to get Involved
Was already searching a bit forum, but cannot find...

I am preparing a root cause report (kinda 8D and process audit report in one sheet) and on front page after summary would like to put some choices to choose what kind of root cause was it; system, process, etc. To have on the end some kind of statistics and see what root causes are per each supplier.

So I need your help. If we draw a line, how would you divide root causes?

Thanks in advance
:thanx:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: Possible Root Causes

I recollect we were doing this some years back, but then we got rid of it, as its not really of any great use.
We had three :
1. No process in place
2. Process is in place, but is not followed
3. Process is in place and followed, but is not effective

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Re: Possible Root Causes

We also run into "inadequate training" a good bit.

Of course, it is all in how far you wanna dig. If you have ability to affect change on it, the true "root" is often best described as inadequate management.

Kronos147

I recently introduced the following nonconformance classifications to our system:
-Dimensional
-Paperwork (F.A.I.R., C of C)
-Outside Process/Specification
-Finish
-Packaging\Labeling
-Internal Requirement
-AS9100 Requirement
-Process not Completed per Policy
-Risk not identified
-Other

And I have it on my ToDo list to add "Human Factor" as per AS9100 D as one of my classifications.

I'm not happy about the re-introduction of the Human Factor either, as we are now poised to going back to 'blamestorming.' I worked hard at my organization reminding people while determining causes that it is processes, not people.

:deadhorse:

Last edited:

normzone

[Mike S.], all too often it comes down to " the guy who owns the company gets what he wants ". He may not have known that his desires would result in these issues, but that's how we get there.

[Somashekar] is correct - you can track it but it's difficult to find ROI for the data.

I have a fixed opinion that all of the "locations" of problems offered by Kronos147 have a root in human interaction. Wrong dimensions are created by and reviewed by humans for the vast majority of machines I visit annually. Documentation is completely dominated by human intervention from creation, review, publication, distribution to reading its content. I don't think any of the items on the list are devoid of human influence at a minimum.

So Human influence on design, manufacture, delivery and service must be acknowledged and managed. And when it is managed effectively good things emerge. Employee morale is key to providing an environment in which failure is not a sin, but an opportunity to learn more about variation.

In our lean and mean manufacturing environment, have we exceeded the capacity of employees to be attentive to doing tasks or are we staffing at the minimum level and, with one absence, the line goes into hyperdrive. Remember Lucile Ball putting chocolates on the cake line? For those of you who remember black and white TV.

From my experience in watching a lot of companies make stuff, the distinction between those that are under water, complaint wise and those that enjoy single digit PPM year after year is the work environment the employee is presented. Positive morale goes hand in hand with low/no defects. Some may call this a chicken / egg situation but I think morale creates defect free environments.

WOW. What a weight to get off my chest. :thanx:

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
I always differentiate between specific actionable physical root causes (or I prefer the the phrase 'causal mechanism') of any specific defect/failure and the systemic cause of the physical cause...if I take action on the specific physical cause I can prevent the recurrence of the specific defect/failure. If I take action on the systemic cause I can prevent future similar defects/failures.

An example: an increase in the insertion failure rate of a specific type of chemistry slide (into a chemistry analyzer) was traced back to a change in the chemical makeup of the ink on the slide (used to create the bar code and other markings). The chemical change increased 'softness' of the ink and as the slides are stacked together with other slides the soft ink stuck the slides together. The ink change was the specific physical cause and when corrected the failure went away. The systemic cause was a lack of validation of the unintended consequences of the change. This systemic cause had occurred several times for failures resulting from deliberate, intended, process/product changes. Our systemic change was to improve our change assessment and V&V process. (Not particularly popular with some of our engineers but we did experience a marked decrease in the number of failures resulting from changes that we were notified of).

Anyway, we came to this conclusion regarding systemic improvements not by categorizing systemic failures but by analyzing the failures and performing lessons learned separate from (although including) the team that worked on the specific failures...the management team determined the systemic causes through a deep understanding of what actually happened.

In my experience determining categories ahead of time and allowing the team to 'pick one' leads to over-aggregation of the information, simplistic analysis of the systemic cause and just another 'check the box' mentality. The qualification of the categories then becomes meaningless and in-actionable.

My advice is that the value comes from the analysis and not the ease of 'canned' categories...if your organization is not willing to invest the time and effort into the he systemic cause investigation, no amount of categorization will help you...

Just my 5 cents...

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Every single tool or method has both advantages and disadvantages that the user should be aware of. But without categorization Pareto charts and Ishikawa diagrams do not exist.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E Preparing for the ASQ CPGP (GMP professional exam), how to revise and remember the vast syllabus? ASQ - American Society for Quality 2
dinakim_zv Preparing for Investigational Device Exemption ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
V Preparing the IFU in compliance with MDR 745, Chapter III Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 2
F BREXIT - What/How are You and Your Business Preparing for It? EU Medical Device Regulations 20
A ISO-13485 7.1 - Preparing for our MDSAP audit ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
Fatima444-4 CLASS III - Preparing a registration dossier for a dermal filler Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 8
bobdoering Preparing an X hi/lo-R Chart in Datalyzer Imported Legacy Blogs 0
S Preparing a Turtle Diagram for Maintenance Department Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
D FDA Guidance Document for Preparing Annual Product Reviews US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
N Preparing a supplier readiness report (advanced launch report) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
Hershal ILAC is preparing to start the possible revision to ISO/IEC 17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
D Preparing for Pre (Fabrication) Inspection Meeting for Telecommunication Systems Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
N Need Help Preparing for Medical Device Quality Engineer Interview Career and Occupation Discussions 2
S Help me with preparing Internal Audit Schedule based on Risk analysis 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
G Presentation on "Preparing" a Quality Manual wanted - ppt AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
G Preparing for RAC Exam - Need to take online-course at RASP? Professional Certifications and Degrees 2
B Templates for Newbies Preparing for ISO 9001 Certification Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
AnaMariaVR2 Preparing for the RAC Examination -- Developing an RAC Study Plan Professional Certifications and Degrees 1
D Preparing for ISO 29001/API Q1- Establishing Control Features Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 3
Marc Apple preparing to deliver iPad twins with 9.7-inch screens (rumor) After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
A Who is the leader for preparing testing procedure to qualify NEW part? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
A Preparing for CQE Exam - Calculators and Statistical Calculations Professional Certifications and Degrees 4
V Preparing for SSGB - Six Sigma Probability Question Six Sigma 13
J Preparing a Quality Management Review Report Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
M Ways to encourage participation of other dept in preparing for the surveillance audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
D Preparing a job description that meets the ISO 9001:2008 standard requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
bobdoering Preparing an X hi/lo-R Chart in Infinity QS ProFicient Imported Legacy Blogs 0
B Green Initiative - Please help me in preparing Go Green Steps.... Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 6
Y Preparing an audit plan for ISO 13485, MDD and CMDR for medical imaging company Imported Legacy Blogs 8
B Define Fault, Double Fault and Normal Conditions - Preparing a Risk Management File FMEA and Control Plans 1
A Preparing manual for Calibration laboratory! How should it be named? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
B Preparing myself for certified six sigma black belt Professional Certifications and Degrees 1
Anerol C Stage 1 Audit for ISO 9001 and Notifying/Preparing Employees General Auditing Discussions 27
K Template for preparing Consultant's Proposal for Implementing ISO 9001:2000 Consultants and Consulting 18
C Are CQE refresher courses by local ASQ centers helpful in preparing for the exam? Professional Certifications and Degrees 11
T Preparing Quality Management System Reviews for the Executive Management Group ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
Q Preparing a Waste Inventory for ISO 14001 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 3
L Preparing for a Hyundai 5 Star Audit General Auditing Discussions 2
R Preparing the Technical File for a 12 Lead ECG Monitor EU Medical Device Regulations 8
C Preparing a "What is ISO 9001" training presentation for hourly employees Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 17
L Preparing small company for AS9100 registration - Am I missing any procedure(s)? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
D Preparing a Design Package for API 6A Valves for the Monogram audit Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 11
L Study Materials for Preparing for ASQ Certification Exams Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 6
M Preparing for External Audits - Asking Registrar for their Audit Check List(s) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 19
C Strategy for preparing CQE exam and can any one suggest some good books? Professional Certifications and Degrees 1
D Single Minute Exchange of Die - Preparing to launch a SMED project Manufacturing and Related Processes 14
P Pre-Audit Tips for Employees - Preparing Employees to be Audited General Auditing Discussions 24
J Preparing for initial FDA inspection - What must I do? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
C Regarding the same CQE preparation - I am preparing for CQE exam Professional Certifications and Degrees 12
A CQE (Certified Quality Engineer) - Seeking suggestions on preparing for the exam Professional Certifications and Degrees 3