Presentation on the benefits of ISO 9001 certification to the Board

T

Tavmania

I am currently working for a Telemarketing company after being made redundant in my last role in Quality within the manufacturing sector.

This company has no written procedures and does not track complaints or suppliers. The company wants to be a market leader and is doing reasonably well. Since it's start up in 1999 it has grown to a £12m turnover company.

The management seem keen and agree that something is required. I have been asked to do a 20 min presentation on the reasons why the company should go for the standard. I would like to show how it could save them money but as nothing is currently recorded I do not know where to start.

Also if anybody is aware of any case studies for telemarketing companies or call centres this would also be of help.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
U

Umang Vidyarthi

Re: Presentation of the benefits of ISO 9001 to the Board

I am currently working for a Telemarketing company after being made redundant in my last role in Quality within the manufacturing sector.

This company has no written procedures and does not track complaints or suppliers. The company wants to be a market leader and is doing reasonably well. Since it's start up in 1999 it has grown to a £12m turnover company.

The management seem keen and agree that something is required. I have been asked to do a 20 min presentation on the reasons why the company should go for the standard. I would like to show how it could save them money but as nothing is currently recorded I do not know where to start.

Also if anybody is aware of any case studies for telemarketing companies or call centres this would also be of help.
Hello Tavmania,:bigwave:Welcome to the Cove:bigwave:

Have a look at this 'Thread'.

Umang :D

M

Migre

If you're now used to the culture of the organisation, do you feel there is scope for improvement? If so, hone in on your own thoughts. It seems to me that you've already identified some of the key potential benefits. Written procedures certainly have the potential to introduce some consistency across the organisation (therefore reducing variation and the risk of doing things wrong) and surely every organisation can reap benefits from tracking complaints (examining trends, establishing root causes etc) and certainly from monitoring supplier performance? Add into that other key areas of the standard (certainly bearing in mind the Plan-Do-Check-Act cycle and the eight quality principles on which the Standard is based, which really do express things in simple, understandable terms) and I believe you have the basis of a presentation.

Though I would say the success (or otherwise) of the presentation will depend on whether or not you believe in what you are saying. If you do, you're already part way there. Don't worry about the fact that nothing is currently recorded - simply state how you feel an effective system could prove beneficial. And really emphasise the fact that it needs top management support / buy-in / commitment (however you wish to put it) - a hell of a lot of posts on here refer to this as being absolutely essential, for good reason. It is a fairly positive sign if you believe they seem keen, though they have to back that up as things progress.

Best of luck with it all.

al40

Quite Involved in Discussions

Hi and welcome to the Cove.

I would first suggest that you ask is this something upper management will support whole hearthly or are they looking for a cert on the wall? If they truly belive that ISO will help improve their business then I would suggest presenting ISO on how its improve organizations "Business Management Systems" and the benifits of having a system in place. I have an old ISO 9001:2008 presentation lyinh around I can emailt o you if want.

Best regards,

Al40

D

David Hartman

Tavmania, Please understand that unless your customers are requiring "certification" there are few benefits to gaining formal certification. But there can be benefits to implementing an ISO 9001-based quality program (without spending money for "certification").

somashekar

Leader
Admin
Tavmania, Please understand that unless your customers are requiring "certification" there are few benefits to gaining formal certification. But there can be benefits to implementing an ISO 9001-based quality program (without spending money for "certification").
You have to impress upon the board that as the company aims at growing bigger and better and stronger, it is the people and the systems that has to sustain the growth and as one looks upwards the process approach to tasks and understanding process and interactions is so vital. This is the essence in a quality management system and is based upon the 8 quality management principles, which I attach here.
If you can drive this point in and direct all actions around it then you will see its benefits. Coming to ISO 9001 certification, you can select any good CB (Certifying Body) who will audit your system and certify.

Attachments

J

JaneB

Tough situation.

You might consider proposing that they do a quality system using the ISO 9001 Standard as the model, while reserving the decision on external certification until later.

ISO itself had a very nice video on the sorts of benefits one could obtain. You could do much worse than spend some time on their site, eg here on what standards do.

Yes, it's hard to find specific quantifiab le research - no one wants to pay for it, and its hard to compare 'apples with apples'. I'd focus hard on the benefits of having a clear, defined quality system and QA before pushing the standard. Walk before you can run?

I doubt anyone can become a market leader without having some kind of codification of their procedures, or without tracking complaints/suppliers.

Running a business to 9001 requiremnts is just getting to base level agreed good practice!

I respectively disagree.

I have not yet found a company that claims to be ISO 9001 compliant that truly is. I can't even count how many I have run across that are not because they are so numerous. Without the pressure of a 3rd party audit, there is very little likelihood of a company staying on the straight and narrow.

Back to the original posters question, ISO 9001 is a very powerful management tool when implemented effectively. Life is easier for the entire company with it and always a drag when when the company fights it or tolerates it.

J

JaneB

I have not yet found a company that claims to be ISO 9001 compliant that truly is. I can't even count how many I have run across that are not because they are so numerous. Without the pressure of a 3rd party audit, there is very little likelihood of a company staying on the straight and narrow.
Yes,that's been my experience. (And I also disagree with the expressed opinion that there are 'few' benefits to be had unless customers are demanding 9001.)

But it isn't necessarily a case of either/or -ie, you must immediately go for certification in order to get the benefits of ISO 9001. You can start out by using it now, as a model to design your QMS by, and then go for certification later when you've got a bit of traction.

ISO 9001 is a very powerful management tool when implemented effectively. Life is easier for the entire company with it and always a drag when when the company fights it or tolerates it.
Yes - provided that it is implemented intelligently and that the company has a good certifier.

As we see almost everyday in the Cove, this isn't always the case, unfortunately. And a badly done, strictly by-the-clause-numbers and audited by an auditosaurus? I'd rather not have it at all in such a case. :nope:

Can you point the poster to any articles or research on the benefits of certification, Jim?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C The Benefits of a QMS to your Business - Management Presentation Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 22
Q Best off presentation of process flows Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 16
M Looking for a Presentation on Design for Excellence (DfX) Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
M Informational TGA presentation: Cybersecurity for medical devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational TGA presentation: How to submit an effective good manufacturing practice clearance application Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational TGA presentation: Digital Devices Webinar 3, 20 June 2019 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Sidney Vianna AS9100 News July 2019 AAQG/RMC CB Auditor Workshop - Presentation Materials AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
M Informational Medtech Europe presentation – – Industry Perspective on the Implementation Status of the MDR/IVDR Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational TGA presentation: How the TGA regulates software, 7 March 2019 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
G Job interview - So I have to do a presentation on PPAP APQP and PPAP 16
B Interview Presentation for Quality Engineer Role Next Week! Career and Occupation Discussions 22
D Looking for PowerPoint presentation for ISO 17025:2017 ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
Q ISO 19011 - Looking for a Presentation Material Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 6
Q Presentation for Employees - Starting the ISO 9001:2015 Transition ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Q Lack of Awareness in ISO 9001 - Share a Presentation for Employees ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
A Global Medical Device Quality Compliance Overview Presentation - Help Wanted Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
C Visual Presentation of Supplier Score - .xls Spreadsheet Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 1
M Presentation displays for malls, etc. for exhibition to show products Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
K Simple ISO 9001:2015 Overview Presentation wanted ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
D PowerPoint Presentation Summarizing ISO90001:2015 Changes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Bev D ASQ 2015 Lean Six Sigma Conference: Bev D's Presentation Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 9
Marc 15 minute Top Management presentation on ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
N Suggestions for Management Review Presentation Management Review Meetings and related Processes 2
M Presentation Material for New Project Kick Off Meeting Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
S Presentation for tracking Quality Objectives across sites Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 3
P Ergonomics .ppt presentation Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
P Food Hygiene Presentation Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
8 New Job Presentation on my findings and plans for future Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 6
P Food Contact Surfaces presentation # 2 Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
P Food Contact Surfaces Presentation Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
P Food Safety & Technology presentation Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
Manix Supplier Control and Development Presentation for a Job Interview - Input Requested Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
L ISO 14644 Class 7 Clean Room Requirements Training Presentation Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
P Basic Food Hygiene Presentation Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
D Ballot Presentation for AS 9101E - January 2013 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
A GMP (good manufacturing practices) presentation materials 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
C Presentation Invitation on ISO13485 from the Distribution Side ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
C High level presentation about QMS (3-4 slides) Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 18
G Presentation on "Preparing" a Quality Manual wanted - ppt AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
V Presentation and Question about ASQ's Six Sigma Certification Six Sigma 5
Q Management Review Presentation Duration by each Presenter Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 7
F Quality Awareness Sessions - Seeking Ideas and Presentation Material Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
A Presentation on Training and Development Strategy on Skill Crisis wanted Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
eldercare First Day Basic Quality Training Powerpoint Presentation or other materials wanted Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
A Control of Training Presentation Content Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
7 Data Analysis of Tensile Strength Test - Graphical Presentation of Results Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
S SPC Presentation and Explanation Training Materials for Beginners Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
C Quality Awareness Presentation Needs Critique Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 20
N Can anyone help me with my Centralized Document Control Presentation Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
G Searching for Auditor Competence and Training .ppt presentation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2