Preservation of Raw Materials in ISO 9001:2015 Standard

mmazahir

Registered
Hello Team,

Could anyone comment on requirements of ISO 9001:2015 standard for preservation of raw materials?.
"Section 8.5.4. refers only outputs during production and service provision"

As per ISO 9001:2015, Section 8.5.4 Preservation;
The organization shall preserve the outputs during production and service provision, to the extent necessary to ensure conformity to requirements.

NOTE Preservation can include identification, handling, contamination control, packaging, storage, transmission or transportation, and protection.

Many thanks
MMR

ChrisM

Quite Involved in Discussions
The key words are "to the extent necessary". Determine what you do with raw materials, and what is needed to appropriately preserve them in storage, handling etc. For example if you were a metal stockist, you'd need to stop ferrous metals from corroding and would need to have appropriate humidity controls in place (e.g. you wouldn't store them outside in the rain). For chemicals, if you have any that are hygroscopic you would have to again adopt correct storage methods in an appropriate atmosphere

For transmission etc, you need to ensure that these same relevant conditions are observed during transportation etc

.... or have I misunderstood your question?

mmazahir

Registered
The key words are "to the extent necessary". Determine what you do with raw materials, and what is needed to appropriately preserve them in storage, handling etc. For example if you were a metal stockist, you'd need to stop ferrous metals from corroding and would need to have appropriate humidity controls in place (e.g. you wouldn't store them outside in the rain). For chemicals, if you have any that are hygroscopic you would have to again adopt correct storage methods in an appropriate atmosphere

For transmission etc, you need to ensure that these same relevant conditions are observed during transportation etc

.... or have I misunderstood your question?
Hi Chrism,

Many thanks for your comments.

In my opinion "to the extend necessary" covers only output of production and service provision and does not cover Raw Materials.

Thanks
MMR

Funboi

On Holiday
Does it indicate who owned the process the raw materials come from? Ie supplier outputs are still outputs. Wouldn’t it be important to preserve outputs to prevent non-conformity being caused later on?

mmazahir

Registered
Does it indicate who owned the process the raw materials come from? Ie supplier outputs are still outputs. Wouldn’t it be important to preserve outputs to prevent non-conformity being caused later on?

Hi Funboi,

I think, QMS implemented in my organization does not applicable to supplier's process outputs.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks

MMR

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Please correct me if I am wrong.
You are wrong.
Preservation of Raw Materials in ISO 9001:2015 Standard

malasuerte

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hello Team,

Could anyone comment on requirements of ISO 9001:2015 standard for preservation of raw materials?.
"Section 8.5.4. refers only outputs during production and service provision"

As per ISO 9001:2015, Section 8.5.4 Preservation;
The organization shall preserve the outputs during production and service provision, to the extent necessary to ensure conformity to requirements.

NOTE Preservation can include identification, handling, contamination control, packaging, storage, transmission or transportation, and protection.

Many thanks
MMR

8.4.2 (as per above) is the clause regarding raw materials. So you need to determine how you manage these 'products'. For example, materials may need to be kept in temperature-controlled environments, or have shelf life, etc.

Let's take the shelf life as an example - An org could control it so that expired chemical is not used in the process through bar coding, rfid, or other process.

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator
Do you have a receiving process that includes verification that the supplied product or service meets requirements?

Johnnymo62

Haste Makes Waste
Our engineers where I work now complain the coils of thin aluminum are too old and have turned hard/brittle so we get splits in the stampings. But nobody has addressed an expiration date or age from coil production. The Eng Mgr just mumbles and changes the subject. Purchasing seems to be content with buying cheaper unknown age coils.

It puts the adventure in ...it's not just a job. ;)

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Our engineers where I work now complain the coils of thin aluminum are too old and have turned hard/brittle so we get splits in the stampings. But nobody has addressed an expiration date or age from coil production. The Eng Mgr just mumbles and changes the subject. Purchasing seems to be content with buying cheaper unknown age coils.

It puts the adventure in ...it's not just a job. ;)

Sounds like engineering is pulling excuses out of their....butt. Imagine how many airplanes would now be cracked up if it aged at room temp?

According to United Aluminum, "Aluminum does not have a specified “shelf life” and will not age harden. Age hardening requires special heat treatment and applies only to a few alloys."

Top Bottom