Pressure Equipment Directive (PED) - Fastener questions

S

Sigvadr

Good afternoon all :bigwave:,

I have been doing a lot of searching :frust:for the past couple of weeks on all that I can find on PED :bonk:. I am stuck now and could really use some help answering these last few questions I have.

I work for a fastener manufacture that makes any type of fastener in almost any type of metal, we are now ISO 9001:2008 certified.

Questions:

1) Do fasteners require a PED 'certification'?

From my research it seems like fasteners mainly require only EN 10204 type 2.1 and 2.2 certifications most of the time. Though there is a fairly new material a company has created called Bumax which is PED type 3.1 rated.

2) If we do need to create a type 3.1 certification, does that require us to use the CE marking?

3) If you are required to use the CE marking do we need to have ASME come in to certify us for a N stamp?

4) As there is a 5m requirement on the CE stamp size it is not possible to fit the CE on all of our fasteners. How would we go about using the CE marking on fasteners?

I believe that is all I need to answer before I feel comfortable telling my company we can self certify, at least on the 2.1 and 2.2 EN 10204 certifications.

Thank you for your time and reading this post! :thanx:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
This is a very specialized area, so there may not be many people with the knowledge to assist you.

I know nothing about this area, but found the following: PED Guidelines. See section 7.8

Last edited:

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Staff member
Super Moderator
I worked with PED for several years and it seems to me that the PED is going approve the system, not the individual components.

For example - we made a safety device with a threaded spring retainer - the technical file included all the components and design specification for each component. There was justification for the threading but the retainer did not have its own CE mark or tech file

If a fastener is in a pressure vessel the pressure vessel gets the CE mark and the fastener design specification with material justifications is in the technical file for the overall vessel. Testing of the vessel will show if the fastener is appropriate.

It's been about 6 years since I was in that world, but I would say no.

They will probably have to comply with EN 10204 though

hope that helps.

PED fastener test requirement - http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=321827
Fastener traceability for PED - http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=377990

S

Sigvadr

ScottK :applause:,

Thank you for your input, I feel confident that I have enough knowledge on the subject to move forward. I do understand my questions where very specific but I was hoping I had another pair of fastener eyes haha.

I will continue with my plan to certify a box with the CE marking that seems the only viable way to get past the marking requirements.

Cheers everyone! Thanks for reading my post.

:thanx:

Sigvarđr

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Pressure Equipment Directive (PED) Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
O Pressure Equipment Directive PED (97/23/EC) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
T Who pays for certification to the PED (Pressure Equipment Directive)? Registrars and Notified Bodies 9
5 What is PED (Pressure Equipment Directive) Certification? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
B List of PED (Pressure Equipment Directive) Certified Material Suppliers needed Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 17
K PED (Pressure Equipment Directive) Certification - We hold an ASME 'S' stamp CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 11
ScottK Quality Manual Replacement Action Plan from EU Pressure Equipment Directive Compliant Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 4
ScottK European Pressure Equipment Directive (97/23/EC) Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 30
A FDA Blood Pressure Monitoring Equipment Measurement Requirements US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
S Pressure Gages - Equipment Tolerance vs. Product Specification Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 2
M Manufacturing Equipment Pressure Gages Calibration Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 30
E PEMS Hazards - IEC 60601 Clause 14.6 - Internal data use - Pressure sensor IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
H Analog Pressure Gauge with no EN837 accuracy class information General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
Qyu Autoclave and Sample Container - Pressure-steam cooking's effect Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
O Selection of a calibrator (pressure generator, temperature) for my field devices General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
M Proper ISO standard for Pressure Testing and Leak Rates Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
M Sampling Plan for Alumin High Pressure Die Castings Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
S How to calculate the maximum allowable hysteresis of a pressure gauge General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
Rincewind Pressure energy - Essential Requirements (MDD/MDR) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
C Pressure requirement of home based Class II Medical Device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
A Calibration of Pressure Gauge, How to Determine Calibration Tolerance General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
R Opening pressure of one-way valve in anaesthetic workstation IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
Colin Pressure Vessels for Human Occupation (PVHO) Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
S Pressure Gauge Calibration Uncertainty Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 5
renenatasha MDD Classification for Pressure Monitoring Set CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
Ajit Basrur MS Excel to study Correlation between Humidity & Differential Pressure Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 7
N Correct reading for analog pressure gauge ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
S What is the minimum pressure differential required for ISO Class 8 Clean Room? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M Control Plan MSA's - Pressure Gages IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
R Looking for calibration specification for Fluke 7250 pressure controller General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
O CE TCF (Technical Construction File) Template for LVD/EMC/Pressure Directive CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
A German MTK (MPBetreibV ? 11) Blood Pressure Meter Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S Pressure from Directors - confused! ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
N Procedure/calculation for determining the foot pressure of dial thickness gauge General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
C What would be the Device Classification for a Blood Pressure Monitor in EU ? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
R Applicable Medical Device Standards for Home Use Blood Pressure Devices IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
GURU SDI Measurement - Pressure Drop vs. Leak Rate Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
F Pressure Regulator Testing and Selection Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
R Pressure Test Dial Gage Selection Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
D Calibration and Tolerance Ranges of Pressure Gages General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
M Calibrating Digital Pressure Gages In-House General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
K ASME BPVC (Boiler & Pressure Vessel Code) Calibration Requirements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
M Pinout of Keller PAA-15 Pressure Transducer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
P EN 1618 Clarification Re: Catheter Pressure Testing Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
B Validation of a Pressure Decay Leak Tester for a Medical Device Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
R How to Inspect the Weld Strength of High Pressure Vessel & Oil Pipe Line Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
A Guideline to Calibrate Chamber Temp. & Pressure of a Medical Steam Sterilizer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
W Pressure Calibration to psiA (psi Absolute) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
W Pressure Transducer Calibration Standards General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
M Pressure gage on a machine-monitoring tool or measuring tool? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9