Pressure Equipment Directive (PED) - Fastener questions

S

Sigvadr

Good afternoon all :bigwave:,

I have been doing a lot of searching :frust:for the past couple of weeks on all that I can find on PED :bonk:. I am stuck now and could really use some help answering these last few questions I have.

I work for a fastener manufacture that makes any type of fastener in almost any type of metal, we are now ISO 9001:2008 certified.

Questions:

1) Do fasteners require a PED 'certification'?

From my research it seems like fasteners mainly require only EN 10204 type 2.1 and 2.2 certifications most of the time. Though there is a fairly new material a company has created called Bumax which is PED type 3.1 rated.

2) If we do need to create a type 3.1 certification, does that require us to use the CE marking?

3) If you are required to use the CE marking do we need to have ASME come in to certify us for a N stamp?

4) As there is a 5m requirement on the CE stamp size it is not possible to fit the CE on all of our fasteners. How would we go about using the CE marking on fasteners?

I believe that is all I need to answer before I feel comfortable telling my company we can self certify, at least on the 2.1 and 2.2 EN 10204 certifications.

Thank you for your time and reading this post! :thanx:

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
This is a very specialized area, so there may not be many people with the knowledge to assist you.

I know nothing about this area, but found the following: PED Guidelines. See section 7.8

Last edited:

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
I worked with PED for several years and it seems to me that the PED is going approve the system, not the individual components.

For example - we made a safety device with a threaded spring retainer - the technical file included all the components and design specification for each component. There was justification for the threading but the retainer did not have its own CE mark or tech file

If a fastener is in a pressure vessel the pressure vessel gets the CE mark and the fastener design specification with material justifications is in the technical file for the overall vessel. Testing of the vessel will show if the fastener is appropriate.

It's been about 6 years since I was in that world, but I would say no.

They will probably have to comply with EN 10204 though

hope that helps.

PED fastener test requirement - http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=321827
Fastener traceability for PED - http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=377990

S

Sigvadr

ScottK :applause:,

Thank you for your input, I feel confident that I have enough knowledge on the subject to move forward. I do understand my questions where very specific but I was hoping I had another pair of fastener eyes haha.

I will continue with my plan to certify a box with the CE marking that seems the only viable way to get past the marking requirements.

Cheers everyone! Thanks for reading my post.

:thanx:

Sigvarđr

Top Bottom