Pressure Sensitive & Gummed Tape IMDS Reporting

J

juliov

Hello Quality Pros,

I am trying to enter data in the IMDS, the item is "pressure sensitive & gummed tape" our supplier of this item sent a memo stating as follows:
"Pressure sensitive & Gummed tape products supplies by us are not required to have a material data sheet" the ppap I am working on refers to a steel fastener clip that has this tape glued to its inside surface serving as a cushion. Due to a lack of MSDS from our supplier of this reel tape as explained above how can I account for the reel tape not to be included in the IMDS report. Advise.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

D.Scott

Re: "Pressure Sensitive & Gummed Tape" IMDS Reporting question

Hello Quality Pros,

I am trying to enter data in the IMDS, the item is "pressure sensitive & gummed tape" our supplier of this item sent a memo stating as follows:
"Pressure sensitive & Gummed tape products supplies by us are not required to have a material data sheet" the ppap I am working on refers to a steel fastener clip that has this tape glued to its inside surface serving as a cushion. Due to a lack of MSDS from our supplier of this reel tape as explained above how can I account for the reel tape not to be included in the IMDS report. Advise.

I am sure you understand there is a difference between IMDS and MSDS. I know it is common to rely on an MSDS to find information for your IMDS listings but the two aren't linked in any way.

Our pressure sensitive tape suppliers don't provide an MSDS either but we are required to include the tape in the IMDS listing as one of the components. In cases where information is required, we call the supplier and speak to the IMDS coordinator. I have been told a number of times that nobody handles MSDS but there has always been someone who handles IMDS information. Try asking to speak specifically to the guy who handles IMDS.

There is always a possibility that your tape doesn't constitute more than the 8 percent "unstated" allowance. In that case you may be able to include it there and bypass the break-down of the tape. Of course you would be just putting off the inevitable as that allowance is being lowered 2 percent a year and will eventually disappear.

Good luck getting the information.

Dave

M

mk_Guruprasad

Good Day All,

I understand you need to construct the IMDS on behalf of your supplier. If this is the case you can refer to the IMDS Committe materials for the creation of the IMDS for the tape. Usually Tape product is created as semicomponent with Adhesive and Carrier layer. I hope you will understand if you see the IMDS commiette materials. If you still have any questions please feel free to post a reply.

I am attaching the screenshots of the IMDS committe material.

If you still need reference materials for constructions you can see materials constructed by 3M, Coroplast, Avery. FYI these suppliers have published the IMDS directly.

Bye
Guru

Attachments

• IMDS Committe Material for Tape.zip
    54.2 KB · Views: 151
J

juliov

I found the ID version 46938982/1 in the IMDS similar to our tape, our tape is just paper with adhesive under one side to secure the tape to another surface. Can we use this description?

J

juliov

what is the IMDS committe? can you give me brief description

M

mk_Guruprasad

Hi :bigwave: Juli,

Are you planning to create the IMDS Material for your product i.e. Paper Tape by considering the replica of the IMDS Committe material. Please reply me which would help me to guide you.

If you are creating the material I need few details which will help me to guide you.

1. What type of Adhesive material you are using? is it same as NR?
2. Is there any ink mark which will be used for printing your or customer Part numbers which is necessary at the end item. if so you also need to include that also.

Please contact me with all these details, I would help you better.

Sorry for the late response

Have a nice day.

Bye
Guruprasad

Top Bottom