Pressure Transducer Calibration Standards

wesatwork

Learning what I can.
I was hoping for some insight regarding applicable standards for calibrating pressure transducers, and/or insight on improving the method.

Background
Calibration of about a hundred Endevco pressure transducers (piezorestive type) which are matched to a signal conditoiner to output VDC and the occasional digtial pressure gage.

Range
various, but always positve, 2000 max. both psi A and G

Equipment
Omega PC-10K-B1 Comparator (hand wheel moves piston which increases/decreases pressure on trapped oil)

Digital pressure gage used as the reference.

HP34401A to measure the conditioners output voltage in relation to the pressure change.

Standards- Beats me? ISO? ANSI? ASME? etc.

Some day I hope to improve this mehod, possibly use a Fluke handheld pressure calibrator? For now I need to write a procedure and was hoping to review the applicable standards.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

BradM

Leader
Admin
Hello there!

It sounds like you already have a preety good procedure developed.:agree1: Also, it's important to include safety factors, especially when working with that high of pressure.

Most gauges have published accuracy, typically percent of span. You should verify that the gauge/conditioner accuracy satisfies your process needs.

Finally, I would estimate your measurement uncertainty. This will let you knw how good your measurement is. Then you can compare other standards to see how you can improve your process.

You could you could obtain ISO 17025 and comply with it.:)

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
At a past job one of my guys did our pressure transducer calibrations/verifications in house, I sent him an email for some details...When I hear back I'll follow up.
It's been a couple years but as I remember, we didn't reference a standard in the work instruction, we relied more on the equipment manufacturer's recommendations and built a test stand...

We largely used Omega equipment and had the reference modules on the test unit calibrated by the manufacture, which we then used to verify the transducers on the floor.

BradM

Leader
Admin
I had to knock the dust off my brain,:tg: but here are a few more resources for you.

Here is a link Scott K provided here Welcome to Everyone! Changing from WWWBoard to UltimateBBS - 26 June 1998

http :// ec .europa. eu/enterprise/sectors/pressure-and-gas/documents/ped/ - OBSOLETE BROKEN 404 LINK(s) UNLINKED

That might be a good start.

At the bottom of this page, there are several NIST references that might be of assistance also:

http :// www .nist.gov/calibrations/pressure.cfm - OBSOLETE BROKEN 404 LINK(s) UNLINKED

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Pressure Transducer - Number of Calibration Test Points General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
M Pinout of Keller PAA-15 Pressure Transducer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
V High Pressure Gauge Transducer (30,000 PSI) / Transmitter Procedures General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
B SAE J 524 Pressure Test/Possible conflicting requirements? Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
R Full Scale for Pressure and Vacuum Gauge General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
H Air Pressure Gage Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
B Pressure containing and pressure controling parts for ball valves Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 0
E Pressure vessels hydraulic test IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
C Pressure Gauge Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
D How to testing of Pressure relief valve as per API 6D ? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
J Cleanroom Differential Pressure Monitoring, frequent manual observation US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
E PEMS Hazards - IEC 60601 Clause 14.6 - Internal data use - Pressure sensor IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
H Analog Pressure Gauge with no EN837 accuracy class information General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
Q Autoclave and Sample Container - Pressure-steam cooking's effect Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
O Selection of a calibrator (pressure generator, temperature) for my field devices General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
M Proper ISO standard for Pressure Testing and Leak Rates Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
M Sampling Plan for Alumin High Pressure Die Castings Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
S How to calculate the maximum allowable hysteresis of a pressure gauge General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
Rincewind Pressure energy - Essential Requirements (MDD/MDR) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
C Pressure requirement of home based Class II Medical Device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
A Calibration of Pressure Gauge, How to Determine Calibration Tolerance General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
R Opening pressure of one-way valve in anaesthetic workstation IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
Colin Pressure Vessels for Human Occupation (PVHO) Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
S Pressure Gauge Calibration Uncertainty Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 5
renenatasha MDD Classification for Pressure Monitoring Set CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
Ajit Basrur MS Excel to study Correlation between Humidity & Differential Pressure Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 7
N Correct reading for analog pressure gauge ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
S What is the minimum pressure differential required for ISO Class 8 Clean Room? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
S Pressure Equipment Directive (PED) - Fastener questions CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
R Pressure Equipment Directive (PED) Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
M Control Plan MSA's - Pressure Gages IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
R Looking for calibration specification for Fluke 7250 pressure controller General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
A FDA Blood Pressure Monitoring Equipment Measurement Requirements US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
O CE TCF (Technical Construction File) Template for LVD/EMC/Pressure Directive CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
A German MTK (MPBetreibV ? 11) Blood Pressure Meter Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S Pressure from Directors - confused! ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
N Procedure/calculation for determining the foot pressure of dial thickness gauge General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
O Pressure Equipment Directive PED (97/23/EC) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
C What would be the Device Classification for a Blood Pressure Monitor in EU ? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
R Applicable Medical Device Standards for Home Use Blood Pressure Devices IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
GURU SDI Measurement - Pressure Drop vs. Leak Rate Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
F Pressure Regulator Testing and Selection Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
R Pressure Test Dial Gage Selection Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
T Who pays for certification to the PED (Pressure Equipment Directive)? Registrars and Notified Bodies 9
D Calibration and Tolerance Ranges of Pressure Gages General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
M Calibrating Digital Pressure Gages In-House General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
K ASME BPVC (Boiler & Pressure Vessel Code) Calibration Requirements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
P EN 1618 Clarification Re: Catheter Pressure Testing Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
B Validation of a Pressure Decay Leak Tester for a Medical Device Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
R How to Inspect the Weld Strength of High Pressure Vessel & Oil Pipe Line Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2