Preventative Maintenance - Moving to a Predictive Maintenance Program

R

Rick Fox

Good Afternoon,

Recently, I was hired in to manage the engineering and maintenance departments of a Tier 1 automotive supply company. After years of, I won't say neglect, let's say willful ignoring these departments, the company has decided to invest man power capital in them.

Our current preventative maintenance system is extremely weak. I am attempting to move the plant into a predictive maintenance program.

My problem is that my plant / department does not have an existing written preventative maintenance procedure.

Does anyone have an example of a proedure I could read to see exactly what I need?

Any advice would be greatly helpful as well.

Thanks

Rick

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Randy

Super Moderator
Advice? Yep, find someone with an extremely strong, hands on background in aviation maintenance (preferably prior military and not some former officer) You best bet would be someone who was in Army rotary wing with a '67 series MOS and from the NCO side of the house, or similar. AF & Navy types are cool, but the problem with them is that most folks will not have the complete range that you'll find in someone who work AVUM & AVIM and possibly flight crew.....People like these understand and know the value of preventive maintenance and can sell it as well

R

Rick Fox

Marc - Our parent company provided a layout they want us to use for the actual PM that will be performed.

I am looking for a procedure that covers an entire PM system. (Either a standard or an SOP).

Rick

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Staff member
Admin
Marc - Our parent company provided a layout they want us to use for the actual PM that will be performed.

I am looking for a procedure that covers an entire PM system. (Either a standard or an SOP).

Rick
Look through the files Randy L linked to and see if any of those have what you're looking for.

If anyone has any others that can be shared, my Thanks in advance for helping out with this one.

R

Rick Fox

A couple were of some use...

Another question for people in automotive industry is how long do maint records need to be kept? I came from medical device industries where the answer to that question was basically 10 years after hell freezes over.

Is it the same with TS systems?

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
A couple were of some use...

Another question for people in automotive industry is how long do maint records need to be kept? I came from medical device industries where the answer to that question was basically 10 years after hell freezes over.

Is it the same with TS systems?
Per ISO/TS 16949:2009 Clause 4.2.4.1 Records retention.

The control of records shall satisfy statutory, regulatory and customer requirements.
For example. PPAP records are maintained as long as the part is active + one calendar year. (Per PPAP Manual).

So if there are no statutory, regulatory and customer requirements, it's your organization's decision.

Stijloor.

B

Big-R

Rick:

It sounds like the parent company is providing (machine specific?) PM procedures, so I presume you’re looking for a top level maintenance SOP? The SOP content will vary depending on the industry (regulated, etc.), but there are a few things that should apply to all. It may make sense to create separate SOP’s for these items, and have the top level point to them.

Asset lifecycle tracking: Detail how the maintenance program tracks asset activities from commissioning through decommissioning. This would include installation, moves, modifications, etc.

Work order tracking: Detail how will you enter/track/measure/trend work order events (scheduled and unscheduled). This includes things like measuring PM’s completed on time, and some form of identifying/acting on machines with the highest failure rates.

Spare parts management: If you’re in charge of stocking machine spares, detail how you will manage that system.

Records retention: Detail how you will manage/store/review maintenance records.

Training: Detail how you will train/certify your staff.

The important thing a top level SOP should detail how your maintenance program currently works.

Ryan

R

Rick Fox

Big-R - Thank you...

I have begun writing the document. In May or June, I am moving to a software based CMMS system. (Currently everything is either in a binder somewhere(and good luck finding it) or in an excel spreadsheet.)

I am responsible for parts, machine uptime and repair...

Anyone have a good to excellent example of a high level procedure (not the actual preventative maintenance itself, but the SOP) I could review?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Preventative Maintenance for Gages, handtools etc Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
C Document Revision for each new Preventative Maintenance Checklist? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
Q Preventative Maintenance Procedure that meets ISO TS 16949 Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
J HVAC-Refrigeration Preventative Maintenance Checklist Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
P Sampling Plans for Corrective and Preventative Maintenance Service Orginizations Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
L How to start with TPM (Total Preventative Maintenance) Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 13
B FMEA - Reduced Detection Ranking by Use of Preventative Maintenance FMEA and Control Plans 6
G When preventative action is prohibited by cost in 8D problem solving Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 1
G When preventative action is prohibited by cost in 8D problem solving Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 8
W Corrective /Preventative/Rectification actions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
A TS 16949 Type of Corrective and Preventative Action Procedure wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Do you use Software to Control Preventative & Corrective Actions? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 1
C Should Preventative Action follow a Corrective Action Nonconformance and Corrective Action 27
L Preventative Action vs. Opportunity for Improvement Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 21
C PFMEA RPN rankings - Preventative action must be opened if RPN over 100 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 9
J Corrective/Preventative Action External - Corporate Supplier Quality Responsibility ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
T Corrective and Preventative Action in Practice ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
Q Difference between Preventative Action and Preventive Action Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 30
F Corrective Action and Preventative Action cover Control of Nonconformance? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 13
C Alternate Terms for NonConformance, Internal Audits, Corrective and Preventative ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 32
Q Preventative Action vs. Corrective Action - ISO 9001 Nonconformance and Corrective Action 14
R Preventative Action - Organizational ideas - Process or Work Instruction Changes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
J Corrective Action and Preventative Action Procedures Combined- good or bad? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
R How to rank Detection for Existing Preventative design controls FMEA and Control Plans 7
D Seeking: Preventative Action Form Template Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
B Can Training be used as Preventative Control on FMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 10
E Software maintenance Process Software maintenance Process to IEC 6204? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
D Preventive Maintenance vs. General Cleaning ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
J Help settle a disagreement: Should external providers of preventive maintenance be on your ASL? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
F Component maintenance qualification - Regulation (EU) No 1321/2014 Article 5 EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 6
K Generic preventive maintenance form wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
S Quality management system (Well head installation & maintenance) Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 5
T ISO 17025:2017 requirement 5.7.b. about maintenance the integrity of the management system ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
A Feedback of typical maintenance problems with LMI digital probes Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
S Are there ISO9001:2015 Requirements for Preventive Maintenance? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 36
Q Software SOP - Use and maintenance of an ERP system Software Quality Assurance 6
R Robotic weld cell - maintenance issues - expertise needed Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
J Requirements for Layered Process Audits including Maintenance, Shipping, Receiving IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
D Preventive Maintenance Implementation 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
C Determining if Maintenance Contractor is an External Service subject to ISO 9001 Clause 8.4 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 43
C Maintenance of Product Technical Documentation EU Medical Device Regulations 3
R IATF 16949 Clause 8.5.1.6 a) maintenance and repair facilities - Production tooling management and personnel IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
qualprod Best criteria to measure Corrective Action effectiveness - Poor Maintenance ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
M Minitab tool to evaluate PM (Preventive Maintenance) process Using Minitab Software 6
B Total Productive Maintenance - Company Transport IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
P Minor Non-Conformance - Maintenance Records Not Fully Completed ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 24
L 21CRF820.70(g)(2) Maintenance Inspection Interval 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
I Tool maintenance and calibration procedure - Calibrating tools/equipment AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
K IATF16949 8.5.1.5 Total Productive Maintenance IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
J FAA Maintenance Requirements - DER Repair to a PMA Part Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 1