Preventing Shortage of Product Quantity - Hand Count and Scale Count

K

KCIPOH

Hello Cove members,

I would like to seek help on our injection molding production regarding shortage of product quantity being weigh by counter-hand in production.

Work flow :
1. production operator will inject the part and put in assigned carton box for a particular product (operator will not count the qty at this stage)

2. the carton box which is full will then transfer to QC station for inspection, QC will inspect the parts and reject parts will be segregated out into a basket (which they put at the side of the station) and after finished inspection for that particular carton box, QC will chop on the carton slip for that carton box. (QC will not count the qty at this stage also)

3. Counter-hand will then take the inspected carton box from the QC station to check the product qty in the carton box vs the qty written on the carton slip.

Counter-hand is checking the qty by weighing the carton box with digital scales (the unit weight and number of pcs for a particular product has been set as product code in the scale by production shift leader, any error, shift leader will reset the program fr the particular product code) and counter-hand will only need to select the product code on the digital scale each time they want to check the qty through weighing the filled carton box on the digital scale.

Note : counter-hand (1 shift 1 counter-hand, 2 shifts, 12 hour/shift) job is to preparing the carton slip in advance for the product to be run in their own shift and responsible to check the product qty in a carton box inspected by QC.

"QTY ARE CHECKED BY COUNTER-HAND ONLY, NO OTHER PARTY TO VERIFY IT, ONLY THE DIGITAL SCALE"

Questions :

a) Since counter-hand only check the product qty in the carton box by referring to the "number of pcs" displayed on the digital scales and not counting it physically (piece by piece) since the qty is quite huge (~800pcs to 2000pcs) how can they really assure the, let say 800 pcs being displayed by the scales are really 800 pcs inside the carton box? The scale are calibrated externally as per scheduled.

b) is there any suggestion on how to error proof this problem from re-occur by using low-cost or economy yet effective method?

This issue happened in the past but not so frequent and it happened to our toothbrush product in the past track record compared to our household and industrial container product which is bigger in size and much more easier to count and whenever it occur, we just top up the shortage qty to our customers.

I would like to improve this issue.

Really need suggestion from cove members.

Appreciate and Thank You. :confused:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: Prevent shortage of product quantity

Hello Cove members,

I would like to seek help on our injection molding production regarding shortage of product quantity being weigh by counter-hand in production.

Work flow :
1. production operator will inject the part and put in assigned carton box for a particular product (operator will not count the qty at this stage)

2. the carton box which is full will then transfer to QC station for inspection, QC will inspect the parts and reject parts will be segregated out into a basket (which they put at the side of the station) and after finished inspection for that particular carton box, QC will chop on the carton slip for that carton box. (QC will not count the qty at this stage also)

3. Counter-hand will then take the inspected carton box from the QC station to check the product qty in the carton box vs the qty written on the carton slip.

Counter-hand is checking the qty by weighing the carton box with digital scales (the unit weight and number of pcs for a particular product has been set as product code in the scale by production shift leader, any error, shift leader will reset the program fr the particular product code) and counter-hand will only need to select the product code on the digital scale each time they want to check the qty through weighing the filled carton box on the digital scale.

Note : counter-hand (1 shift 1 counter-hand, 2 shifts, 12 hour/shift) job is to preparing the carton slip in advance for the product to be run in their own shift and responsible to check the product qty in a carton box inspected by QC.

"QTY ARE CHECKED BY COUNTER-HAND ONLY, NO OTHER PARTY TO VERIFY IT, ONLY THE DIGITAL SCALE"

Questions :

a) Since counter-hand only check the product qty in the carton box by referring to the "number of pcs" displayed on the digital scales and not counting it physically (piece by piece) since the qty is quite huge (~800pcs to 2000pcs) how can they really assure the, let say 800 pcs being displayed by the scales are really 800 pcs inside the carton box? The scale are calibrated externally as per scheduled.

b) is there any suggestion on how to error proof this problem from re-occur by using low-cost or economy yet effective method?

This issue happened in the past but not so frequent and it happened to our toothbrush product in the past track record compared to our household and industrial container product which is bigger in size and much more easier to count and whenever it occur, we just top up the shortage qty to our customers.

Can someone help?

Thank you!!

Stijloor.

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Prevent shortage of product quantity

Hello Cove members,

Work flow :

Questions :

Did you perform a risk analysis for this process flow ( for example, FMEA).
This could help to understand and evaluate the risk and just in case take action based upon Risk Priority Number.
It is a good method to assure objectivity and it is valuable because it involve all counteparts , assuring multidisciplinary approach.
Howver, just to share idead and advices, I do not know if you have evaluate the chance to use bar code reader in this counting and loading in associated electronic system.
The process flow should have some modification , applying a label with electronic code to each item to count. The operator could shoot each time and the system will have the final count at the end of the operation.
If there are many itam, you can think to apply an unique label to an equal small quantity of times and packed them with plastic ( for istance, 10 items with one label).
hope this helps:bigwave:

AgnieszkaSz

Involved In Discussions
The method will depend on product shape and weight, but I can guess that your details are not big, because the batching quantities you mentioned are huge.
We used to throw our parts - rather light - through a small hole into a box; on its way, the part cut the light beam emitted by a sensor; the sensor itself was connected to a counter. The counter opened the box only after demanded quantity was reached.
That was built in-house and relatively cheap.
Mind that there was a need to put these details into the box piece by piece. This can raise the operation time - and affect the profit.

K

KCIPOH

Hello Stijloor,

Thanks for getting other to help :thanks:

Hello Dominic,

I'm quite new to process improvements tools such as using FMEA as suggested? fyi, i'm the employee with higher education and the rest of the management staff are lower education, just wondering how to get to work out with me in this situation? by the way, can you refer me so that i can get a better idea of what a FMEA is and how to apply it in my production workflow improvements?

I'm thinking of this initially but havent been brought it to discussion with management, i will look into it but is there any simple, economy yet effective method for the improvement? pls advice.

Thank You and appreciate :agree:

Hello AgnieszkaSz

Thank you for your suggestion but as i mentioned to Dominic, i still hope for a much simple, economy yet effective method for the improvement, any idea you can help me with this?

Thank You and Appreciate your feedback soon:thanx:

qusys

Hello Stijloor,

Thanks for getting other to help :thanks:

Hello Dominic,

I'm quite new to process improvements tools such as using FMEA as suggested? fyi, i'm the employee with higher education and the rest of the management staff are lower education, just wondering how to get to work out with me in this situation? by the way, can you refer me so that i can get a better idea of what a FMEA is and how to apply it in my production workflow improvements?

I'm thinking of this initially but havent been brought it to discussion with management, i will look into it but is there any simple, economy yet effective method for the improvement? pls advice.

Thank You and appreciate :agree:

Hello AgnieszkaSz

Thank you for your suggestion but as i mentioned to Dominic, i still hope for a much simple, economy yet effective method for the improvement, any idea you can help me with this?

Thank You and Appreciate your feedback soon:thanx:
Hi, appreciated your thanks!

As to FMEA , you can have some indication on this link ( I made a research in the forum):
http://elsmar.com/Forums/fileslist.php?mode=allfiles&sortby=filename&pageamt=1&criteria=FMEA
You can also click on "more free files", there are other documents.
In brief, Failure Mode and Effect Analysis is a method to prevent potential failure mode in a process, activity, product .
There is a risk analysis and if the risk is high, the organization should put in place controls to improve detection, decrease occurrence etc...
On your case, before taking some action, you should assess if there is a really issue or not, if you want to "live" with this issue or it is dangerous for your business.
:bigwave:

Golfman25

First, what is the big deal if your counts are off?

Second, the best way to scale count is to calibrate and confirm the scale with each count. We have a scale which you start by putting in 25 or 50 pcs. The scale then tells you if you need to add more pcs. Once it is ready, we add another 10 to make sure the scale counts the 10 pcs. correctly. Then we "dump" the rest of pcs. in and take the count off the scale. Pretty simple and works extremely well. Every so often, we'll get a count discrepency, but it is not the end of the world. Good luck.

W

WKHANNA

Make a weight that is equal to a known quantity of parts.

Mark the weight with the part product code & number of parts it represents.

Conduct periodic checks during the shift on the scale using the weight (now used as a Standard).

You could even put the 'Standard' in your calibration system if you want.

K

KCIPOH

Hello Dominic,

Thanks for your explanation and reference, so far this has not been a major issue from our customer, just thinking whether there is any option for me to do things better.

Thank you again and appreciate:applause:

Hello Golfman25, WKHanna,

Thank you for your inputs, but i think if i'm not misunderstanding, the propose method are currently being practice by our counter-hand, currently this has not been a critical issue from our customer, will look into your suggestions.

Appreciate and Thank you :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Sidney Vianna Interesting Discussion UNI/PdR 42:2018 - Preventing and Combating Bullying Guidance Standard Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 5
G Setup Part Management - Preventing Escape Manufacturing and Related Processes 13
C Preventing Torque Wrench Deterioration Calibration Frequency (Interval) 5
I RoHS vs Non-RoHS - Best Practice for preventing Cross-Contamination? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
T How to preventing the drawing revision not being up to date Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 1
T Preventing Wrong Terminal Crimped on a Wire Harness Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
S Preventing Photocopies of a Controlled Document Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 18
Q Preventing Audit Finding by your third Party Registar IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
Richard Regalado ISO 27001 A.10.4.1 - Detecting, Preventing and Recovering from Malicious Code Threats IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 3
M Preventing Missed Welds on Assemblies Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
S What are the common Problems preventing (Gaps) Implementation of ISO 14001? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 7
W Chain of Custody for Documents - Preventing Misplaced SOPs Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
Q Preventing, corrective for valves in field? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
L Preventing Set Up Parts from getting in with Finished Goods Manufacturing and Related Processes 17
A Preventing Quality System Non-conformities QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 5
S Hairnet Shortage - Re-use hairnets? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
K Poka-Yoke for Quantity Shortage caused by Human Error Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 7
Stijloor German automakers' expansion plans hit by shortage of engineers World News 2
Stijloor Chrysler minivan plant in Windsor to be idled for parts shortage.. World News 3
bobdoering As hybrid cars gobble rare metals, shortage looms World News 35
Marc Manpower survey shows worldwide "talent shortage" Career and Occupation Discussions 6
H Verification Process for the existing MDS Product IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
A UDI for product already packed up EU Medical Device Regulations 0
A Migrating from whole product CE marking to modular approach CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
H Medical device Product Registration Registrars and Notified Bodies 2
A Can a power Supply be an accessory to a medical device, if it is an 'off-the-shelf' product. IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
M Extension to shelf life of new product under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
lanley liao Are there guidelines for application of all API monogrammal product? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
S ISO 11137- Simulated product vs SIP Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
K "World Class Product" based QM. I need advice. Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 14
R IATF 16949 Certification for new site with transferred product--what is the impact with CSR and scorecards? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
William55401 Distributed By Product - Best Practices for Configuration Management and Purchasing Controls ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
R Compatibility studies - combination product CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
R Compatibility studies - Medicinal Product and Medical Device Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
J Marking "Distributed By" to product with distributors' reference-code EU Medical Device Regulations 3
dinaroxentool Selling a product in Both UK and EU after Brexit UK Medical Device Regulations 9
P EU MDR Translation of Product Name EU Medical Device Regulations 3
N Is this a single integral drug device combination product EU MDR CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
V New Product Model CE Mark Certification under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 0
Sidney Vianna Informational APQP4Wind - Advanced Product Quality Planning for the Wind Power Supply Chain APQP and PPAP 3
K 510k FDA review, will they accept Biocompatibility result generated using feasibility product lots? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
G Adopting old product - compliance with IEC 62304 IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 9
S How long does it take to register a product with MHRA? UK Medical Device Regulations 4
D Classification of product for clinical trials EU Medical Device Regulations 14
N Adding unclassified product to the medical device registration US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
B Internal Auditor Competency - Product Auditors Internal Auditing 9
T PFMEA and Control Plans on legacy product FMEA and Control Plans 5
P FDA Approved Product Contact Parts ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
S AS9120B - 8.5.2 Delivering Split Product AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
S Classification of a product according to MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 3