Preventing typos on Inspection Reports

NDesouza

Involved In Discussions
Hello,
I am wondering if anyone knows of any software that helps to prevent typos. Inspection Reports at my current job location contain frequent "fat finger errors" I am trying to find tools to help catch these before they get to production / inspection.
I found a software called Asutype, but I am still looking for something that others may be using in a manufacturing environment where PPAPS, FAIR activities are prevalent.

Thanks

toniriazor

Involved In Discussions
You can investigate why they are committing "typo" mistakes. Probably the code they need to enter or the description is too confusing in terms of keyboard combination or is consuming too much time. I've done this and it worked well just to make simplified forms, keyboard combinations for data defect entry. Probably in your case there are several combinations frequently typed with errors and you can start from there maybe.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
What is the impact of the typos? Are people entering the wrong figures which would change the test or inspection outcome?

ChrisM

Quite Involved in Discussions
Typos are the name of my life......

At least with many software packages you get a warning of some sort for "basic" typos (such as the word underlined in red) but typos that result in an alternative "legitimate" word being entered, or numerical errors are effectively impossible to spot

NDesouza

Involved In Discussions
What is the impact of the typos? Are people entering the wrong figures which would change the test or inspection outcome?
Yes! Here is an example. Typed 0.05mm and it should have been 0.5mm.
Took an hour to uncover this mistake during inspection processes.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Yes! Here is an example. Typed 0.05mm and it should have been 0.5mm.
Took an hour to uncover this mistake during inspection processes.
If the .05 mm resulted in an out of spec condition, Michael's idea to have out-of-spec entries automatically highlighted by the software may help. If highlighted right away, people usually fix it right away.

ChrisM

Quite Involved in Discussions
If you use Excel, for example, you could format the cell so that it can only accept results within a "reasonable" range of values - or to change the colour of the entry to something different ((eg red text with a yellow background) if it is outside the tolerance range. The trouble is that for each cell, you'd need to set the specific formatting conditions based on the expected value

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Another consideration is do you need, or truly get value from, the variable data?

Top Bottom