Preventing typos on Inspection Reports

NDesouza

Involved In Discussions
If the .05 mm resulted in an out of spec condition, Michael's idea to have out-of-spec entries automatically highlighted by the software may help. If highlighted right away, people usually fix it right away.
Thank you. I found a QA/QC software that extracts text and data directly from the drawing and pastes or exports into Excel or minitab. I gave it to my manager to see what he thinks. He agrees that this kind of software will greatly reduce mistakes caused by typos. I'm waiting on his decision. Meanwhile, I will try using the FLAG mechanisms suggested in this feed.

Kronos147

Trusted Information Resource
Hello,
I am wondering if anyone knows of any software that helps to prevent typos. Inspection Reports at my current job location contain frequent "fat finger errors" I am trying to find tools to help catch these before they get to production / inspection.
Have you checked out 1factory?

We use 1factory to balloon drawings, 1st piece, in process, and final inspection. We also use 1factory to create FAIR's. The software does a WHOLE lot more, too.

Brandon Barbee

Registered
I made control limits on the data in the column then highlighted out of control points in addition to out of tolerance points. Sometimes an in-tolerance reading can be a fat finger and while it won't be a false failure, it can impact capability. The other thing is require paper records first that can be transcribed. It's a hassle, but people are way less likely to write the wrong thing than they are to type it. Once the digital data is vetted, you can discard the paper one.

NDesouza

Involved In Discussions
I made control limits on the data in the column then highlighted out of control points in addition to out of tolerance points. Sometimes an in-tolerance reading can be a fat finger and while it won't be a false failure, it can impact capability. The other thing is require paper records first that can be transcribed. It's a hassle, but people are way less likely to write the wrong thing than they are to type it. Once the digital data is vetted, you can discard the paper one.
Thank you! I will try this.

kuyakut

Involved In Discussions
Is the inspection done manually, like using caliper and it was written manually in a form then transfer it into excel file? For our CMM, we did a direct transfer into excel format all the measurement data. For Dial Indicator we did the same, this is to avoid mistake of transferring data.

Chrisx

Quite Involved in Discussions
Many digital measuring tools (i.e. calipers, micrometers, etc.) now include interfaces, so that data can be directly uploaded to a computer. There are wireless and wired options. We have interface cables for all of our calipers to upload data.

A word of caution regarding condition formatting on Excel spreadsheets. It is only as good as the verification of the spreadsheet. If the limits are set incorrectly, then it can give a false assurance that values are within spec, when they are actually not. Ultimately, we switched to dedicated inspection software that flags out of tolerance results. It also has the ability to set limits for values that are way out of the norm to detect typos. Of course someone still needs to review tolerances to make sure the flags are correct. However, the software includes approvals to make sure these get reviewed.

D Scott

Registered
Our company got around that by using automated data collection. Now almost all our jobs are inspected on a CMM and no one is entering data manually. Obviously, it would depend on the size of your company, but it is a way of safeguarding for the future. The longer you wait to make big changes like these the harder the transition will be!

Top Bottom