Preventive Action (PA) - Employee Suggestion Box, Engineering Change Order?

CarolX

Trusted Information Resource
Thoughts on PA

OK- Fellow Covers,

Here is my list of items we use in our PA program

EMPLOYEE SUGGESTION BOX - actually used
ENGINEERING CHANGE ORDERS - Employees fill out when they find a better way to do things, or a way to prevent a potential problem.
PROTOTYPE REVIEW - A documented checklist for any department to report any issues during the first run of a part.
PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE - equipment and calibration
CUSTOMER INPUT - they control design

Thoughts????

Pitfalls?????

Anything just plain stupid????????? (LOL)

Thanks all,
CarolX


 

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Leader
Admin
Good list,
FMEA is also one of the basic tools as it talks about potential faults.
What about training?

I have seen some people claim that contract review is also PA

Claes-
Process audit I whoyuld have thought is not PA but rather Corrective as you deal with faults found.
 
Re: Thoughts on Preventive Action (PA)

Howard Atkins said:
Good list,

Claes-
Process audit I whoyuld have thought is not PA but rather Corrective as you deal with faults found.

Yes and no. I can agree to that, and perhaps I shouldn't have used the word audit, but in an audit you could just as easily deal with potential for improvement found (I know I do).

I suppose it depends on how you look at it. Let's call it process review then, aiming to find potential for improvement? That would also be a great opportunity to use FMEA.

/Claes
 
N

noboxwine

Re: Thoughts on Preventive Action (PA)

Howard Atkins said:
Good list,
FMEA is also one of the basic tools as it talks about potential faults.
What about training?

I have seen some people claim that contract review is also PA

Claes-
Process audit I whoyuld have thought is not PA but rather Corrective as you deal with faults found.

On the $$$, Howard. FMEA's have unequivocally been the most powerful tool I have ever used to unconver potential failures. Incredible when reps from all functions get together and shoot holes in the process. I say run with this one every chance you get and if anyone needs help putting one together, let me know. I use a myriad of tools that have helped in the efforts. :thedeal:

CX: Nothing at all on your list stupid, hun ! Good job ! You don't give yourself enough credit ! If you can drive the employee suggestion gig, you'll have a real winner. ;)

Claes / Howie: I think product audits / reviews can be used as PA. Though audits should be conducted per a guideline, it's gets you out in the process where everything is happening, and, a good auditor will look outside the guidelines for improvement opportunities.

Good thread, all. Have a day ! :bigwave:
 
W

wkl

We also use Inventory of supplies and spare parts as a preventive action tool.
 

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Leader
Admin
How about the parts of ISO -

-As stated earlier, PM and Cal programs
-Doc Control
-Design Control (Design models more specifically including risk analysis tools as pointed out by Howard)
-Process Control
-Internal Quality Audits (audits of any kind, when not done as part of a corrective action or appraisal process, are preventive in nature and are included in Preventive Costs as a part of CoQ reporting)

I have used a similar approach in the past to capture the type of CO being processed as Carol does, and I have found this to be a good metric to report at Management Review. It is a great indicator of company culture (Detect and Correct/Predict and Prevent).

Good thread.

Kevin :bigwave:
 
M

MandOS

Re: Thoughts on PA

CarolX said:
OK- Fellow Covers,

Here is my list of items we use in our PA program

EMPLOYEE SUGGESTION BOX - actually used
ENGINEERING CHANGE ORDERS - Employees fill out when they find a better way to do things, or a way to prevent a potential problem.
PROTOTYPE REVIEW - A documented checklist for any department to report any issues during the first run of a part.
PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE - equipment and calibration
CUSTOMER INPUT - they control design

Thoughts????
Pitfalls?????

Thanks all,
CarolX


Glad to see that you are not one of those who thinks that "Preventive action" is a standalone process just because it's mentioned in the standard!

I reckon that “preventive action” is (should be) addressed in your processes for (eg) business planning, allocation of responsibilities, product design, process design, tendering for work, order processing, recruitment, appraisal, resource management and management review - in other words, a key element throughout your management system should be risk assessment and management (ie preventive action). ie "What could go wrong?" / "What do we need to do to ensure success?"

Regards

Peter Fraser
 

CarolX

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Thoughts on PA

MandOS said:
Glad to see that you are not one of those who thinks that "Preventive action" is a standalone process just because it's mentioned in the standard!

I reckon that “preventive action” is (should be) addressed in your processes for (eg) business planning, allocation of responsibilities, product design, process design, tendering for work, order processing, recruitment, appraisal, resource management and management review - in other words, a key element throughout your management system should be risk assessment and management (ie preventive action). ie "What could go wrong?" / "What do we need to do to ensure success?"

Regards

Peter Fraser
I guess that is one of the problems I have with the standard. The way I look at it, EVERYTHING we do is to assure we get the customer what they want, at the best price and on time. Things like contract review, IMHO, is a gimme....we do it anyways....just as most of the issues that fall under PA.

And what is PA anyway......no one goes into business to do it all WRONG...unless you got a million bucks to just toss away.

Just ranting,

CarolX
 
Top Bottom