Preventive Action (PA) - Employee Suggestion Box, Engineering Change Order?

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator
Re: Thoughts on Preventive Action (PA)

Here's my procedure and forms. Feedback welcome!!

Attachments

• TCP.14.01 2.doc
    53.5 KB · Views: 503
  • TCF.14.01.doc
    80 KB · Views: 474
  • TCF.14.03.doc
    30.5 KB · Views: 475
G

Greg B

Cari Spears said:
Here's my procedure and forms. Feedback welcome!!

Cari,

Do you fill in a QI form if you have a CA? We use a CA form for Major NCs and a NC form for minors. It seems confusing having two forms but we find that Majors require the more detailed investigation and minor NCs result in a less formal investigation. For instance:
If we make a product and find it is out of Spec by a few percent we would raise a NC report to decide what we are going to do with the product and see if we can prevent it happening again (our production methods are not 100% infallible thats why we have checks) . However, if that same product arrived at the Customer and they complained we would raise a CA as we would want to know how it got past our checks and balances and prove to the customer that we have taken their complaint seriously. Is this how yours work??
As an aside, Do you have an alert facility (Notice or Flyer) to make CAs known to the whole company or department? I'm looking at doing something along these lines because I feel that once the CA investigation is under way the team and direct managemtnt of that team seem to be the only people that know about the CA and the results. Hope this makes sense.

P.S I like your attention to detail.

Greg B

Last edited by a moderator:

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator
Greg B said:
Cari,

... Do you fill in a QI form if you have a CA? We use a CA form for Major NCs and a NC form for minors. It seems confusing having two forms but we find that Majors require the more detailed investigation and minor NCs result in a less formal investigation.

... Do you have an alert facility (Notice or Flyer) to make CAs known to the whole company or department? I'm looking at doing something along these lines because I feel that once the CA investigation is under way the team and direct managemtnt of that team seem to be the only people that know about the CA and the results.

Hi Greg - It's good to see you back, I'm glad to hear you're recovering nicely. :bigwave:

We do not classify QI's as major or minor. I tried to keep the form generic enough that the problem solving could be as complex/simple as the issue warrants. We do not initiate a QI for every occurance of internally identified nonconforming product, but I track defect types and operator numbers in our Nonconforming Product Log to spot recurring defects that may require a Corrective Action Request. Our nonconforming product "Red Tag" is very big and includes spaces for rework instructions and reinspection. We are a job shop full of skilled tradesmen (approx 50 guys on the floor) and in a bad month might generate 5-10 red tags, so this works for us.

As for customer rejections - we use their form unless they do not provide one for us, in which case we use our QI form. We warranty all of our products, so even the nonconforming product received for warranty work without a request for corrective action is documented and tracked so that we may initiate a QI internally... as a corrective action request if recurring defects are found... or as a preventive action if the fix can be systemically implemented to prevent like defects in other jobs.

On the second question - we do not currently have an alert thing. But, with the emphasis on objectives during our 9k2k transition - I'm thinking about a central display case similar to the one by our timeclock that the Office Manager maintains with the shop memos, OSHA and RTK stuff, etc. I'd like to display some of our measurables, RcB sent me a good example of a visual display she uses. I was thinking that this is the place that I would start posting any QI's that we think all employees should be aware of as they relate to their jobs and/or specific objectives they are contributing towards. I haven't quite worked it all out yet, except that the wall right next to the bathrooms and eyewash station is big and empty enough.

In the past when I worked in large production environments with hundreds of employees and multiple shifts, I was impressed with one past company's "Quality Alert". This was a document that described any defect with any product line. The Quality Alert included a sketch or picture attached of the defect. They used to keep all of the operator instructions, inspection instructions and Quality Alerts in a packet with the tooling (I'm talking metal stamping). When the tool was pulled from the cage to set up in the press - the packet came with. It was my job as an inspector to verify that the instructions were the current revision and hanging at the work station - usually on a hook on the side of the press in shop ticket holders. If any Quality Alerts were in the packet - I hung them along side the instructions when I First Piece Approved the set up. This worked great for product nonconformances in a production environment.

I am the queen of run-on sentences, hope I explained clearly in spite of it. :vfunny:

Last edited:
Top Bottom