Preventive Action (PA) Examples - Seeking Examples, not Definition

R

Roger Eastin

I would like to have some examples of preventive actions. I do not need a definition of preventive action, but examples. I would like to see how creative folks have been with this area. I want to give my management a "broad brush" idea of how to apply preventive action, but I think I'm being too restrictive myself with P.A. Thanks ahead of time.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

CarolX

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Roger,

We defined the following 3 items as the core of our preventive action program:

1) Preventative Maintainence and Calibration of equipment.

2)Weekly sales call reports from our sales rep to upper management.

3) Employee suggestion box (and yes, it really is a very active system here, not just lip service from upper management).

Hope these ideas help.

Regards,
Carol

S

stefanson

FMEAs are a good idea. Also, many organizations classify all Continuous Improvement activities as PAs. Unfortunately, the 2000 revision to ISO 9001 still has the highly subjective requirement for Preventive Action (w/documented procedure too) after all they've done to add Continuous Improvement. Some organizations also track Trends over Time, and define Preventive Action when limits are exceeded or goals not maintained.

[This message has been edited by stefanson (edited 12 January 2001).]

J

Jim Triller

Examples of preventive action:
1. Training employees before starting work so they know how to do the job correctly.
2. Contingency planning.
3. An effectively implemented maintenance system.
4. Knowing your process capabilities and not promising customers more than that.
5. Knowing your supplier's process capabilities and not expecting more than that.
6. Decision making based on facts and data.
7. Disaster recovery planning.

L

Laura M

PFMEA for an inspection operation resulted in "potential" identification problems that were fixed. No complaints, but "potential"

Just one example from that exercise.

The thought process of a PFMEA on just about anything comes up with some interesting answers.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
> The thought process of a PFMEA on just about anything
> comes up with some interesting answers.

To be blunt, thinking is the key word. Thinking about anything should provoke interesting questions and, hopefully, some answers as well.

M

marcelo

other examples:
- The prevection accident in the job, before of occur, for example, install gages friendly for impede accident.

Thank you, sorry my english.

R

Roger Eastin

Thanks for the answers. We are using our PFMEA as the basis for preventive action, but the question came up about other sources for preventive action. This is where my stereotypical thinking came into play and I sort of blanked out!!! So, thanks for the mental "Drano"!!

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
> Example: A QS consultant we were using told me that bringing in a QS
> consultant is a good example of preventive action.

Only if it's me... :)

[This message has been edited by Marc Smith (edited 16 January 2001).]

A

Alf Gulford

Let's keep this thread going for awhile. We all seem to get a little linear in our thinking and it's good to see what others are including.

Example: A QS consultant we were using told me that bringing in a QS consultant is a good example of preventive action.

What else can we use?

Alf

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Preventive Action Procedures - Good Examples wanted Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 14
I Preventive Action Examples, Excluding Preventive Maintenance, Wanted ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
a_bardi Corrective & Preventive Action in Telecom - Seeking methodology examples Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 0
Sean Kelley Need examples of preventive action - Nonconformance - No preventive action for 1 year Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 18
Sean Kelley Does anyone have examples of a Corrective and Preventive action log? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 12
I ISO 9001:2000 Preventive Action Procedure: Seeking examples ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
R Seeking 'True' Preventive Action Examples Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 28
C If it doesn't prevent a non-conformance, is it a preventive action? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
R Evaluating the need for preventive action Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 3
B Stakeholder Initiated Corrective and Preventive Action Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
B Corrective and Preventive Action (CAPA) A Key Process of the Quality Management System Dec 17... Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
M Training in 8D Problem Solving as a Preventive Action? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 9
J If Corrective and Preventive Action were truly Effective IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
R Preventive Action - confusing ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
Q Preventive Action - How to call the prevention when there is not a clause ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
somashekar The Preventive Action Demystified ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
Q Evaluating Effectiveness of a Preventive Action after Closure Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 7
A Preventive Action and Risk Assessment Audit Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 5
K CAPA (Corrective and Preventive Action) - ISO 13485 Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
J Software and Methods for Tracking CAPA (Corrective and Preventive Action) items US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
A Preventive Action or Corrective Action - Paper cuts Nonconformance and Corrective Action 14
M Corrective and Preventive Action - Prevent Recurrence is not Preventive Action? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 24
K Definition Correction, Corrective Action and Preventive Action - Definition of terms Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 28
F Software recommendations for corrective and preventive action Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
K Corrective and preventive action for Non Conformance on PFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 30
B Struggling With Writing PA (Preventive Action) Procedure Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 11
E Can anyone share a Preventive Action Form or Template ? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
W Compliance to 8.5.2 Corrective action 8.5.3 Preventive action ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
P Customer Complaint Preventive Action Assistance Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 3
T Corrective Action and Preventive Action in a Holding Company Nonconformance and Corrective Action 6
M What is Preventive Action taken as part of a Corrective Action? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
MarilynJ6354 Definition Improvement Suggestion vs. Preventive Action - Clear Definitions and Differences Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 6
C The prudence of combining non-conformance reports with corrective/preventive action Nonconformance and Corrective Action 10
N Corrective and Preventive Action in 8D Problem Solving Nonconformance and Corrective Action 21
B Near Miss = Preventive Action Request (PAR)? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
M Boosting a Preventive Action System Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
D CAPA (Corrective and Preventive Action) Flow Chart example wanted Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 3
J Can Corrective Action be the same as Preventive Action? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 33
sagai Preventive Action vs. Corrective Action as defined by 21CFR820 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 10
R Does FDA require monitoring competitor device failures for preventive action? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
C Nonconformance, Corrective and Preventive Action Procedure(s)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
Q Recommendations for criteria on creating a CAPA (Corrective and Preventive Action) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
L How to deal with too many CARs (Corrective Action Requests), PARs (Preventive Action) Nonconformance and Corrective Action 25
B Certification Body insist on evidence of Preventive Action during Stage 2 audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
P Lessons Learned Identification - Potential Preventive Action Responsibilities Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 4
N Combining both Corrective Action and Preventive action procedures into one SOP Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
T Action plan: How to manage actions, preventive actions and opportunities of improv? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
sagai Should Corrective Action be segregated from Preventive Action? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
B Electronic Corrective/Preventive Action Report for our Customer Service Department Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
B Corrective and Preventive Action Procedure for Customer Service Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5