Preventive Action

C

C Emmons

Is there a reason that Training could not be considered a Preventive Action?

For instance: Transportatin Industry - Winter coming - want to try and prevent accidents - If we initiate a special "Defensive Driving in the Winter Month" training course for all of our drivers - could we document that as a preventive action??

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
C

C Emmons

What about this? We have a preventive maintenance shedule for all of our trucks - is that not in itself a preventive action-although it is not documented on a preventive action form!

B

Bruce Wade

I would disagree that this type of training could be considered preventive action. Training to avoid easily foreseen conditions, which may occur with some regularity, would be required under ISO 9001:2000; 6.2.2 - Competence, awareness and training.

As for preventive maintenance, I also do not believe it would fall under preventive action. Again, schedules for preventive maintenance are derived from understanding probable mechanical breakdowns naturally occurring in the process, and taking reasonable action to prevent major disruptions. This would fall under ISO 9001:2000; 6.3 - Infrastructure and 6.4 - Work environment.

While both are good efforts and should garner positive results, neither would be preventive action, IM(NTB)HO.

Do not stress too much over not having preventive actions to document for your system. Such actions are rare in a truly vigilant concern. Perhaps you already built and effectively implemented processes to mitigate most or all negative impacts...

C

C Emmons

Well, I am going through the 1st part of my transition audit in January - the registrars auditors conveyed that they are struggling with auditing this as much as companies are with proving them. They stated that they would expect to see at least one. Just trying to make sure I can come up with a valid one!

C

C Emmons

Bruce Wade:

Ok - what if I approached it like this.....Based on statistical data reveiwed we found a trend of increased accidents during the winter months. In an effort to change the trend we decided to begin "Winter Weather Defensive Driving Reviews". Would that not be a preventive action as well as support the continual improvement process? (Not to mention it was based on statistical data and a trend was identified? I guess I dont see anything that says training can not be used as a preventive action?

Any thoughts?

B

Bruce Wade

I believe ISO 9001:2000 requires a documented procedure for identification of opportunities for preventive action, analysis and follow through when preventive ation is taken, etc. I have not seen where the document requires a preventive action to have been documented and followed through, prior to certification.

If your process is out of control and there are many instances where you could have prevented nonconformance with some level of foresight, I would also expect to see active use of preventive action. My position would be that true preventive action is rare. Expecting one to be documented for certification purposes seems a stretch to me.

I would ask the registrar to show where having a preventive action documented is required in the standard...

B

Bruce Wade

It would depend...

If the action were based on analysis of general accident rates in your area in previous inclement weather conditions, while your drivers accident rates were not increased in similar situations, then I would concur this to be preventive action. This would also be true if you had not previously examined the accident rates of your drivers. If noting outside statistics caused you to examine your internal rates and implement training to prevent future occurrences, I would consider this preventive action.

If the training was in response to a pattern where your drivers had experienced increased accident rates during previous winters, even if the local statistics also indicated increased rates during these same time periods and your drivers were consistent with local averages, I would consider this corrective action.

The key would be the population from which you drew the statistics.

Preventive versus corrective action often boils down to semantics...

A

ARUMPLE

Our organization uses preventive actions that focus on products and services. example quality trends- operator notices the quality of the product is poor (chart indicates). he fills out a PA form, the process is flagged! Engineering reviews & investigates the processes (man, method, machine, material and measurement). If not solved by engineering a cross-function problems solving team is formed to potential causes. Once solved the quality plan is usually changed to control and remove the variation. The transportation industry seems to be more service oriented. Preventive action should be more focused to prevent loss and add value to the customers needs in quality, delivery,and cost. an opportunity to improve!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C If it doesn't prevent a non-conformance, is it a preventive action? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
R Evaluating the need for preventive action Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 3
B Stakeholder Initiated Corrective and Preventive Action Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
B Corrective and Preventive Action (CAPA) A Key Process of the Quality Management System Dec 17... Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
M Training in 8D Problem Solving as a Preventive Action? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 9
J If Corrective and Preventive Action were truly Effective IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
R Preventive Action - confusing ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
Q Preventive Action - How to call the prevention when there is not a clause ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
somashekar The Preventive Action Demystified ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
Q Evaluating Effectiveness of a Preventive Action after Closure Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 7
A Preventive Action and Risk Assessment Audit Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 5
K CAPA (Corrective and Preventive Action) - ISO 13485 Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
J Software and Methods for Tracking CAPA (Corrective and Preventive Action) items US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
A Preventive Action or Corrective Action - Paper cuts Nonconformance and Corrective Action 14
M Corrective and Preventive Action - Prevent Recurrence is not Preventive Action? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 24
K Definition Correction, Corrective Action and Preventive Action - Definition of terms Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 28
F Software recommendations for corrective and preventive action Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
K Corrective and preventive action for Non Conformance on PFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 30
B Struggling With Writing PA (Preventive Action) Procedure Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 11
E Can anyone share a Preventive Action Form or Template ? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
W Compliance to 8.5.2 Corrective action 8.5.3 Preventive action ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
P Customer Complaint Preventive Action Assistance Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 3
T Corrective Action and Preventive Action in a Holding Company Nonconformance and Corrective Action 6
M What is Preventive Action taken as part of a Corrective Action? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
MarilynJ6354 Definition Improvement Suggestion vs. Preventive Action - Clear Definitions and Differences Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 6
C The prudence of combining non-conformance reports with corrective/preventive action Nonconformance and Corrective Action 10
N Corrective and Preventive Action in 8D Problem Solving Nonconformance and Corrective Action 21
B Near Miss = Preventive Action Request (PAR)? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
M Boosting a Preventive Action System Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
D CAPA (Corrective and Preventive Action) Flow Chart example wanted Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 3
J Can Corrective Action be the same as Preventive Action? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 33
sagai Preventive Action vs. Corrective Action as defined by 21CFR820 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 10
R Does FDA require monitoring competitor device failures for preventive action? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
C Nonconformance, Corrective and Preventive Action Procedure(s)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
Q Recommendations for criteria on creating a CAPA (Corrective and Preventive Action) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
L How to deal with too many CARs (Corrective Action Requests), PARs (Preventive Action) Nonconformance and Corrective Action 25
B Certification Body insist on evidence of Preventive Action during Stage 2 audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
P Lessons Learned Identification - Potential Preventive Action Responsibilities Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 4
N Combining both Corrective Action and Preventive action procedures into one SOP Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
T Action plan: How to manage actions, preventive actions and opportunities of improv? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
sagai Should Corrective Action be segregated from Preventive Action? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
B Electronic Corrective/Preventive Action Report for our Customer Service Department Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
B Corrective and Preventive Action Procedure for Customer Service Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
Q Recover a Damaged CAPA (Corrective and Preventive Action) Project Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 6
P FDA Part 820 Clause 820.100 Corrective and Preventive Action 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
M Preventive Action Process question - ISO 9001 Clause 8.5.3 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 24
C Corrective Action and Preventive Action for Operator Error (Cosmetic - Handling) Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 15
6 Preventive Action - Help Needed. Input for Training and Sustenance Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 3
L Non Conformity (Nonconformance) Report & Preventive Action Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
A SFI x PA (Suggestion for Improvement x Preventive Action) How to register them ? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 4