Preventive and Predictive Maintenance - Benchmarking Partner

F

frank-h

I was wandering if there was someone in the Philadelphia area that our company could do some benchmarking with. I am getting hammered by our registrar about element 4.9g1. Predictive and preventative mainenance. We kind of do it but really don't know how to satisfy the whole requirement. Thanks, Frank.

F

frank-h

We have a schedule and kinda follow it. The problem we have is the part about "correlation of SPC data to preventative maintenance activities. For the first 3 years they never asked, so we never told. Now they are asking.

A

Al Dyer

Although not the definitive answer, think about it like this,

Preventive maintenance: You have a peice of machinery that the book says you have to change the oil every 400 cycles.

Predictive Maintenance; Monitor the preventive maintenance to ensure that it fits your mode of operation. When thinking of predective maintenance put in your mind the thought of mean time between failures, something you can measure and act upon.

M

M Greenaway

Al

Under predictive maintenance we monitor the constituents of machinery sump and hydraulic oils to see if things might be about to go wrong, such as bearing failure, seal failure, etc.

D

D.Scott

Another example would be our dies. We use SPC to determine the flow of the process and then use that data to predict the number of hits we can make before the die needs to be re-worked.

Dave

Stuart Andrews

Involved - Posts
If you just want to meet the intent of the clause, which we do 'cos our process is really stable, so we put our resources elsewhere # : ) we do this:

As with every predictive method, you need to record the data as it happens. This should include the frequency of ALL failures/replacements, the parts that fail/are replaced, the time between each failure/replaced part and the downtime caused by the part failure/replaced part.

Then put these into a pareto chart to help determine either the parts that fail the most or the parts that cause the most downtime or the parts that most costly to replace if they fail.

Then you should determine which of the parts are key parts i.e. you need an action plan in place for when the part fails or needs replacing. This can be done something like the attachment.

Hope they help.

Then decide on what resources you're going to use preventing a recurrence.

I do this every 12 months, so you should have enough information to do this.

Attachments

• total_preventive_maintenance_forger.xls
    81 KB · Views: 1,698
Top Bottom