Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Bruce Fille wrote:

--> Hi Marc, I had a auditor tell me that under preventive machine
--> maintenance I needed to have the machine maintenance manuals under
--> controlled documents and...

The 'control' issue depends upon how you define 'control'. Control can simply be keeping it with the machine on a rack on the side. Control can be having all the manuals in one book shelf. I would be surprised if they demand you have an index of them. And for all intents and purposes they're seldom 'revision sensitive'.

Auditor: How do you control your equipment manuals?

Respondent: We keep all machine manuals in this book shelf. All employees who have a reason to need one understands (has been told or 'trained') that the books are to be replaced if they have to remove it for any reason.

--> ...be able to explain/show why we do or do not have replacement
--> parts in stock for those machines.

Respondent:

I keep 1 motor for the Milacron 22490 because it is critical to the operation. We need to be able to replace the motor, if it goes bad, within 2 hours to prevent materials flow problems.

I do not keep a spare motor for the Cartier 7783 because we do no service. It is too complex. The manufacturer does all repair. The manufacturer typically has a service person on site within 12 hours.

I do not keep a spare motor for the Listerine 778405 mixer because we can get a motor ithe same day from Wellington or several other distributors and the mixer is not critical to operations (24 hours downtime won't afect critical processes or material flow).

We keep four Amdex 123-ADF relays in stock because they are common to several of our machines and we know we will replace 2 or 3 a year. We know this from past maintenance records and general experience.

Etc.

--> He also said that I needed a statement in contract review that
--> allows us to place a part back into the same machine/fixture/setup
--> run for rework or finishing a part that was taken out of the machine
--> before finished.

I would ask for an explaination of this from the auditor and ask him/her to relate this to a specific paragraph of QS9000. This is a new one on me.

--> Thanks
--> Bruce...

Does this help?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Are there ISO9001:2015 Requirements for Preventive Maintenance? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 36
D Preventive Maintenance Implementation 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
M Minitab tool to evaluate PM (Preventive Maintenance) process Using Minitab Software 6
M Preventive Maintenance Spreadsheet in Excel Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
E Manufacturer Responsibility (vs. User/Customer) for Preventive Maintenance/Repair 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
A Assessing a Preventive Maintenance Strategy - Reliability or Maintenance Statistics Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
S How to determine Preventive Maintenance and Calibration Grace Periods General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
R A GRP model that also considers the Preventive Maintenance Efficiency Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 3
M Tracking Preventive Maintenance Effectively Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
R Preventive Maintenance Checks Advice Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
M TS 16949 Clause 7.5.1.4 Preventive and Predictive Maintenance - Requirements Scope IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
M Preventive Maintenance & Operating Procedures for Measurement Equipment Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 20
S Which ISO/AS Clause directly relates to Preventive Maintenance of Equipment? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
T Preventive Tool Maintenance - Preventive and Predictive Maintenance requirements Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
R Free Preventive Maintenance Software Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
S NC Lathe Preventive Maintenance Boiler Plate checklist Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 3
E Meeting AS9100 Clause 6.3 Infrastructure Requirements - Preventive Maintenance AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
S Does overdue preventive maintenance require an evaluation on product quality? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
C Benchmarking Preventive Maintenance Sales Benchmarking 0
Q ISO 9001 Clause 6.3 Infrastructure - Preventive Maintenance Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 24
M Preventive Maintenance Scheduling Software recommendations Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 8
L Any ideas for Preventive Maintenance checklist? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
D How to interpret TS Clause 7.5.1.4 Preventive and Predictive Maintenance? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
R Who runs your Preventive Maintenance Program? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 45
G Preventive Maintenance for Assembly Line Bar-Code & General Printers - Necessary? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
M Definition Predictive Maintenance vs Preventive Maintenance - Definitions Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 3
D Definition Preventive Maintenance vs. Predictive Maintenance - Distinction between Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 20
Crusader Preventive Maintenance - Electronic Records Deleted/Erased OR Are Records Required? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 62
I Preventive Action Examples, Excluding Preventive Maintenance, Wanted ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
K Calibration - Not willing to spend money in calibration/preventive maintenance ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
B Preventive Maintenance Program in a non-production facility Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
S Looking for Equipment Specific Preventive Maintenance templates/Procedures/forms Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
G Preventive Maintenance Requirements - ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 70
H Preventive Maintenance - Does anyone have a sample of a PM procedure? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
Marc Definition Preventive Maintenance - Definition Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 0
Randy Preventive and Corrective Maintenance - Looking for a basic procedure Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 19
S Definition Predictive vs. Preventive Maintenance - TS 16949 Clause 7.5.1 - Definitions of Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 32
N 3% of the scheduled preventive maintenance (PMs) cancelled - You make the call! Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 11
A Preventive maintenance outsourcing - What type of controls? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
R Definition Preventive vs. Predictive Maintenance - What is the difference? TS 16949 - 7.5.1.4. Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 11
F Preventive and Predictive Maintenance - Benchmarking Partner Benchmarking 6
V Can an Ionizer be calibrated or perform preventive maintenance when in use? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
V Does preventive maintenance have any positive effect on smart transmitters? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
Marc Preventive Maintenance - Suppliers & Delivery Vehicles ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
D Preventive Maintenance Interpretation - Clause 4.9.g.1 QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 5
F QS-9000 Clause 4.9.g.1 - Preventive Maintenance - Tool Wear Predictive Maintenance QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 1
M Preventive and Predictive Maintenance - Information on procedures relating to 4.9.g.1 QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 16
C If it doesn't prevent a non-conformance, is it a preventive action? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
R Evaluating the need for preventive action Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 3
GURU SDI Rust preventive oil mixed with kerosene Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 2