Print Callout for a Special Thread - 1.173-18 UNS-3A Major Dia.

6 SIGMA

Inactive Registered Visitor
I have a print callout for a special thread. 1.173-18 UNS-3A. I need to know what the major diameter for this thread should be controlled to and, if you have a formula for calculating this, or can tell me where the information is located?

Thanks.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
I have a print callout for a special thread. 1.173-18 UNS-3A. I need to know what the major diameter for this thread should be controlled to and, if you have a formula for calculating this, or can tell me where the information is located?

Thanks.
Find a known thread for example 1.000-18 UNS-3A and you add .173" to to the values in the thread table.

Other suggestions anyone??

6 SIGMA

Inactive Registered Visitor
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll check into that option as well. One thing I did find in the Machinery's Handbook (25th edition) was this regarding designated UNS threads:

"Designated UNS Threads - UNS screw threads which have special combinations of diameter and pitch with tolerance to Unified formulation have the basic form designation set out first followed always by the limits of size" (Bold by me)

So, if I am reading this correctly, the designer should have stated the Major Diameter for his thread immediately after the specific thread callout.

Think I'll go back to them on this, too. Thanks.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E Question on GD&T added to print - Positional callout for the small holes Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
E Position of a milled hex - Print Callout Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
J Perpendicularity Callout on a Print - GD&T Question Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
J Angularity or Composite profile - Angularity callout on a recent print Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
C True Position Question - What does this print callout mean? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
Ron Rompen Does this print callout meet ASME Y14.5 1994 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 25
qualprod Automation in manufacturing - Print Shop ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
J Gear Surface Finish - Print with the word "calibrated" Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
V Customer Print Specifications on PFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 13
B FAI and ANSI Y14.5 Trailing Zeros and Print Tolerances Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
CycleMike GD&T - Hole pattern - Print (attached) has a single Datum Reference Frame Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
S Yellow print VDA 4 VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 0
Ron Rompen Location of features identified on Print - Feature out of location Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
G ISO 9001 8.4 applied to 7.1.3 - Suppliers of infrastructure requirements - IT and Print solutions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
P Print Control Box - What does this dimension say? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
E Conflicting dimensions on customer print Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
qualprod Criteria for print shop - How do you consider the cycle time in a print shop? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 21
D Drawing (print) does not specify restrained or free state Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
G Decimal places on Drawing (Print) Callouts Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 7
E Print only has Reference Dimensions Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
S AS9102 - Clarification - PO asking for an Assembly at Rev B (Print at Rev C) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
Q Surface Roughness - Conversion of RS on a Print to RZ General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
P New Yellow Print VDA 6.3 (2016) VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 10
D Multiple Features With Only One Toleranced on the Print Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 12
K Assumed Alignment and Assumed Datum on a Print Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
R How To Calculate & Print CDF and Lower Bound CDF value for some t(time) with Minitab? Using Minitab Software 1
J Deformation specification not defined in print Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
K APQP requirement when a new print or spec is received from a customer - Existing Part APQP and PPAP 3
A Algorithm to Detect flaw and burr on print characters Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
S FMEA's - Severity and Classification of Print Characteristics FMEA and Control Plans 1
V Do I need to add everything on print to control plan? FMEA and Control Plans 1
Q KPI's (key performance indicators) for a Print shop ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Q In a Print Shop the Products are Special Processes? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
J Customer Complaint - PPAP - Issues not called out on the print APQP and PPAP 3
M 4 Datums Referenced in a Print (Drawing) Feature Control Frame Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
J A Euro sign on a print tolerance? Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
T More than One Original Test Report - Original Print General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
T Software that will overlay Old Revision and New Revision Print and Compare Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
R When a Part Print specifies 10 Rmax on a Surface - Rmax Settings & Standards? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
ncwalker Excel Bubble Print Utility - Bubble Prints/Roadmap Prints Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
S Ensuring Print Dimensions are in Control Plans, WI's and Receiving Inspection Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Radius Measurement question - Print that calls out a 5.5-5.7mm Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
P Configuration Management for Build to Print Company AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
J Print (Drawing) Bubble Techniques Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 45
H Example of Contract Review for Print Industry wanted Contract Review Process 4
Jim Wynne An Oldie but Goodie - A Print Block from 1937 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
J Perpendicularity-Axis and Plane - Perpendicularity call-out on the print Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
E Definition WDA and WRP on a Boeing print - What are these acronyms? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 2
M Metric Call Out on a print (from Japan) - 40mm +.002/+.015 Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 8
V Note Change to Print - Do I need dimensions results? APQP and PPAP 1