Print only has Reference Dimensions

Suppling a product to tier 2 assembler in automotive market.
The print only has (Reference Dimensions) on it.
The print also has tolerance in the Title block.
And we have the CAD drawing from the customer, although, I can only have a cad viewer to see the overall shape and not pull of dimensions from.
My process is a multi-cavity hot molding process.
The finished part is very flexible and easily deformed when handled so it is difficult to measure.

Question, as all the dimensions on the print are references ( ) I'm thinking of "ignoring" them and choosing other dimensions on the shape to measure that relate to controllable points in my process and where I can get a valid measurement (where it's is not so deformable). Of course, setting this up in our lab testing with formal testing methods for this part type.

So why not talk to the tier 2. Reference dimensions seem to be a free ticket to me. They are only reference, and asking may move them from Reference to actual with tolerance, and I said above, I cannot measure the part for that dimension due to it flexible nature.

Yet I have to submit data on part measurements for PPAP.

Would you agree to me "ignoring" the reference values, and choosing my own areas of the part to measure and report on in the PPAP.

Best Regards.
Ed

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Q

QAMTY

My two cents

Then, how are you going to approve such product if dont have the complete information?
you cant ignore anything because it is not possible to measure it.
It should exist somewhere (specs, criteria, previous work orders) in order for you to be sure is ok.
On the other hand it is possible to download cad software (free, not viewer) or for evaluation.
with it yo can pick the dimensions you need on the design, if it is possibe to use it.

Regards

Thanks for you help.
I can go get my CAD person and have him get the measurements.
It actually protects me and serves the customer better as it will show my part meets the design.
Best regards.

Kronos147

Trusted Information Resource
I can go get my CAD person and have him get the measurements.
AS9102 has guidance on this.

If there is a DPD (Digital Product Definition), there are steps to take to make sure you and your customer are on the same page.

In our organization, we create an AS9102 FAIR from the CAD drawing and submit the template to the customer and have them acknowledge that it will be acceptable to use the template for inspection.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
CycleMike GD&T - Hole pattern - Print (attached) has a single Datum Reference Frame Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
V What has more weight: Master Print or Part Submission Warrant? APQP and PPAP 4
J Print asking for Straightness of 0.013 and it has a note "Any Radial Element" Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
F GD&T Parallelism Interpretation - Print which has a note: //|0.5 | A. Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 30
Q Automation in manufacturing - Print Shop ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
J Gear Surface Finish - Print with the word "calibrated" Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
V Customer Print Specifications on PFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 13
B FAI and ANSI Y14.5 Trailing Zeros and Print Tolerances Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
S Yellow print VDA 4 VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 0
Ron Rompen Location of features identified on Print - Feature out of location Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
G ISO 9001 8.4 applied to 7.1.3 - Suppliers of infrastructure requirements - IT and Print solutions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
E Question on GD&T added to print - Positional callout for the small holes Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
P Print Control Box - What does this dimension say? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
E Conflicting dimensions on customer print Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
Q Criteria for print shop - How do you consider the cycle time in a print shop? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 21
D Drawing (print) does not specify restrained or free state Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
G Decimal places on Drawing (Print) Callouts Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 7
S AS9102 - Clarification - PO asking for an Assembly at Rev B (Print at Rev C) AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
Q Surface Roughness - Conversion of RS on a Print to RZ General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
P New Yellow Print VDA 6.3 (2016) VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 10
E Position of a milled hex - Print Callout Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
D Multiple Features With Only One Toleranced on the Print Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 12
K Assumed Alignment and Assumed Datum on a Print Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
R How To Calculate & Print CDF and Lower Bound CDF value for some t(time) with Minitab? Using Minitab Software 1
J Deformation specification not defined in print Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
K APQP requirement when a new print or spec is received from a customer - Existing Part APQP and PPAP 3
A Algorithm to Detect flaw and burr on print characters Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
S FMEA's - Severity and Classification of Print Characteristics FMEA and Control Plans 1
V Do I need to add everything on print to control plan? FMEA and Control Plans 1
Q KPI's (key performance indicators) for a Print shop ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Q In a Print Shop the Products are Special Processes? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
J Customer Complaint - PPAP - Issues not called out on the print APQP and PPAP 3
6 Print Callout for a Special Thread - 1.173-18 UNS-3A Major Dia. Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
M 4 Datums Referenced in a Print (Drawing) Feature Control Frame Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
J A Euro sign on a print tolerance? Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
T More than One Original Test Report - Original Print General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
T Software that will overlay Old Revision and New Revision Print and Compare Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
R When a Part Print specifies 10 Rmax on a Surface - Rmax Settings & Standards? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
ncwalker Excel Bubble Print Utility - Bubble Prints/Roadmap Prints Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
S Ensuring Print Dimensions are in Control Plans, WI's and Receiving Inspection Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Radius Measurement question - Print that calls out a 5.5-5.7mm Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
P Configuration Management for Build to Print Company AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 6
J Print (Drawing) Bubble Techniques Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 45
H Example of Contract Review for Print Industry wanted Contract Review Process 4
Jim Wynne An Oldie but Goodie - A Print Block from 1937 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
J Perpendicularity-Axis and Plane - Perpendicularity call-out on the print Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
J Perpendicularity Callout on a Print - GD&T Question Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
E Definition WDA and WRP on a Boeing print - What are these acronyms? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 2
M Metric Call Out on a print (from Japan) - 40mm +.002/+.015 Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 8
V Note Change to Print - Do I need dimensions results? APQP and PPAP 1