Printing Company - Need advice for training courses in the quality control arena

H

hawkeye

need advice for training courses

Hello everyone!

I am the Quality Control manager at the printing company that I work for. I am rather inexperienced in this area and would like some additional training. First of all, let me give you all a little background. I have been with this company for 8 years and have worked in every department in the place. About a year and a half ago, I was given the position of quality control in one department. I was in charge of catching mistakes by the workers and then having them corrected before they went to the next department. A couple of weeks ago, the plant manager promoted me to quality control manager. This is uncharted territory to the company as well as myself as the company has never had a q.c. person. I've spent the last couple of weeks reviewing the company processes and procedures and am working on updating and modifying them. However, I think some additional training in the quality control arena would benifit me as well as the company. I don't think we are going to worry about certifacation or anything like that. I would however, like to implement some type of quality management system. Are there any good training courses or seminars that you would recommend for a rather new quality control manager? Is there something out there that would benifit me in my situation

Thanks again :D

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Randy

Super Moderator
If you were looking to implement and get registered a Q system I'd say use me :)

Apparently you are looking for good solid and basic information. One suggestion is to check and see if your state offers this type of assistance, something similar to a Manufacturing Extension Network though a state agency. I know Michigan, California and Arkansas have these type programs and I'm sure many other states do too.

Marc! how about you or some of you other "real" Quality folks jumping in here?

H

hawkeye

Randy said:
If you were looking to implement and get registered a Q system I'd say use me :)
Apparently you are looking for good solid and basic information.

That's exactly what I'm looking for Randy. Just a good foundation to begin with. I'll check this stuff out. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
I would say "start at the beginning" and you could do that by taking a class at your area university.

You also may be past that part of the learning curve and not have a lot of time to fool around. Even if you are not planning to pursue your own professional certification, going through the process is an excellent way to learn the craft. That is why I thought of this training program from ASQ:

http://www.asq.org/ed/sdl/cqm/index.html

I'm afraid I can't vouch for the training's quality because I did my certification (CQE, CQA, CQT, CMI) through self-directed book learning. I am thinking the training program would provide structure at the very least.

For book learning, Juran's Quality Handbook is the default information source...but it is not a bedtime story! It's huge. Lots of folks use Quality Council of Indiana's Primers, but I don't like them at all. I use Thomas Pyzdek's books as intermediate material, such as the Complete Guide to the CQA for auditing.

Congratualtions and good fortune to you!

Jennifer

K

Kerrym

Re: Printing Quality Management

I found myself in Hawkeye's place a few year's ago and the best reference I found was "Implementing Quality Management in the Graphic Arts" by Herschel and Michael Apfelberg. It's a fairly comprehensive look at TQM and statistics applicable to printing. The chapters on quality costs and statistical process control are particularly good, and examples are relevant to printers. The book is published by GATF (www.gain.org). GATF is also a good source for printing standards and process controls. For general quality topics, I have found publications from ASQ (www.asq.org) to be helpful. Some of their books are short enough that you may even persuade your plant manager to read them. Consultants and vendors have been a good resource as well, but it's worth keeping in mind that they are trying to sell you something. Set objectives and time limits for implementation of training or improvement programs or they will constantly be at your door with their hands out! :lol:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Is this GR&R method valid? (Printing Company) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
A ISO 14001 & Waste Packaging Regulations - Printing Plate Production Company ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 1
N Measurable Targets and Objectives - Envelope Printing Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
P Plastic printing packaging company - ISO 9001:2008 Clause 7.6 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
P Printing Company - Internal Quality Checklist for each process Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
A Printing Company Audits - Checklist for auditing a printing company General Auditing Discussions 3
D Over-Worked Instruction - Quality Technician for a direct mail printing company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Justanobody PAD printing and meeting regulatory requirements Manufacturing and Related Processes 10
G Pad Printing Validation OR Verification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
D Evaluating the printing label Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 8
T 211, subpart B, section 211.22 as it applies to pharma printing Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
K Screen printing ink and machine selection_ Need help Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
B AS9102 - 3D printing a special tool required for assembly (counterfeit risk?) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
M Label Making & Printing Standards ISO / ASTM ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
JAMESH Adobe Acrobat-Pro Unflattened Markups not printing Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
G Batch printing reports in Minitab Using Minitab Software 3
M Informational Health Canada – Guidance Document: Supporting Evidence for Implantable Medical Devices Manufactured by 3D Printing Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
DuncanGibbons Additive Manufacturing/3D printing for aerospace (certification procedure) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
Y Excel Automation - Printing Word Documents from within Excel Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 0
R FDA Requirements - Printing Equipment Software Validation Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
Z Tablet Printing Technologies (NON-3D) Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
Pmarszal Label Printing: Medical Device related UDI Requirements - GUDID Aspects Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
A 3D Printing concept in airline to manufacture its own aircraft cabin parts EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 3
smryan Excel Printing Glitch - How to STOP Printing One Cell per Page Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 10
C Advise on Oral Spray Pad Printing and Compliance 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
T Printing a single Page from a Quality Manual Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
L Specific Question about Printing Controlled Documents. ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Wes Bucey A "Feel Good" story - 3D Printing Creates Low-Cost Prosthetic Fingers Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
T Quality Manual Pagination and Printing Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
L Printing Machine Make Ready Rapid Changeover Case Study Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
F Need advise on Root Cause analysis for printing issue Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 3
S Questions about 3D Printing Manufacturing and Related Processes 10
W The 2nd printing of the AWS D17.1 2010 which was 2011 - Page missing? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
Marc The future of 3-D Printing Manufacturing and Related Processes 18
C Constructing an AQL matrix for our QC operators in a flexographic printing outfit AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 4
M FDA Submission Printing Format - Is double sided printing allowed? Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
G Multi Language Instructions - Standard for Type Size when Printing Instructions? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
A Validation of Process - Label Printing and Cable Marking IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
F ISO 9001 Quality Management System for Printing Press ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
S Electronic Document Printing Restrictions and Access Control Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
C Printing ISO 9001:2008 vs. ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
R Need help on printing report in Camio (CMM software) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
W Is it Legal for Printing CE Mark in Label? FDA Aspect 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 22
A EA Code 9 (printing) as it relates to 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
S Advice Please regarding CE Marking requirements for Printing Press CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
Y Offset Printing Quality Plan Template Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 4
P Access to, and Printing of, Controlled Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
P Process Map for Offset Printing Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 2
H Big Batch (Large Lot) Sampling - Label Printing - MIL-STD-105E Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 12
DanteCaspian Gemba Lot / Box Label Printing? Manufacturing and Related Processes 7