Probablity of correctly detecting a defect size

tahirawan11

Involved In Discussions
Hi,

I want to perform a study to calculate the 'probability of correctly detecting a defect size'. The defect is 'wrinkle size' and it varies from 0 to 0.2. The defects are classified into three different categories, Low wrinkle (less than 0.10), Medium wrinkle (between 0.1 - 0.15) and High wrinkle (0.15 - 2.0). The defects are classified visually by operator by looking at a the 'scan result picture'. The object of the study is to estimate 'The probabiliy of detecting a Low wrinkle is xx with a confidence interval of yy and the probability of detecting a medium wrinkle is yy with a confidance interval of zz and so forth. (see attached picture)

For this purpose i plan to take 10 samples of each defect category Low, medium and High. They will be classified by a better measurement system and then a operator will be asked to classify each sample into different defect size. I want to know how to calculate the probability from this data, Is this the right appraoch or should i perform a GR&R instead?

:applause:

Attachments

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Statistical Steven

Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
Hi,

I want to perform a study to calculate the 'probability of correctly detecting a defect size'. The defect is 'wrinkle size' and it varies from 0 to 0.2. The defects are classified into three different categories, Low wrinkle (less than 0.10), Medium wrinkle (between 0.1 - 0.15) and High wrinkle (0.15 - 2.0). The defects are classified visually by operator by looking at a the 'scan result picture'. The object of the study is to estimate 'The probabiliy of detecting a Low wrinkle is xx with a confidence interval of yy and the probability of detecting a medium wrinkle is yy with a confidance interval of zz and so forth. (see attached picture)

For this purpose i plan to take 10 samples of each defect category Low, medium and High. They will be classified by a better measurement system and then a operator will be asked to classify each sample into different defect size. I want to know how to calculate the probability from this data, Is this the right appraoch or should i perform a GR&R instead?

:applause:
Just a couple of points and a few questions to clarify your question.

1. The graph you show is a cumulative probability plot. That is the probability of detecting a high wrinkle is close to 100% because it includes the probability of low and medium too.

2. Do you have an estimate of the distribution of each wrinkle class? 10% low, 30% medium and 60% high for example.

3. What is the defect rate in the population?

4.Since you have 3 classes of defects, you need to determine if classifying a medium as either a high or a low is "bad". That is, misclassification of a defect plays into the probability calculations.

You can accomplish this via a GR&R but you still need to determine what is "right" and what is "wrong"

tahirawan11

Involved In Discussions
Just a couple of points and a few questions to clarify your question.

1. The graph you show is a cumulative probability plot. That is the probability of detecting a high wrinkle is close to 100% because it includes the probability of low and medium too.

I dont need a cumulative probability plot, i just need to connect the mean of all three probabilities. but on the other hand it is much easier to detect / measure a medium or high wrinkle compare to smaller ones

2. Do you have an estimate of the distribution of each wrinkle class? 10% low, 30% medium and 60% high for example.
I am developing this new measurement system so i dont have lot of samples but an estimate could be 40% for each medium and high wrinkle and 20% for low wrinkles

3. What is the defect rate in the population?
dont know yet but will try to find out

4.Since you have 3 classes of defects, you need to determine if classifying a medium as either a high or a low is "bad". That is, misclassification of a defect plays into the probability calculations.

yes classifying a medium to high or low is bad, if a medium is identified as low then there is risk of part failure in the field and if a medium is misclassified as high then unjustified cost of repairs

You can accomplish this via a GR&R but you still need to determine what is "right" and what is "wrong"
the best i can do to find what is right/wrong is by a better measurement system and that will be taken as a Gold standard and wil be used to calcualte the probabilites

Statistical Steven

Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
the best i can do to find what is right/wrong is by a better measurement system and that will be taken as a Gold standard and wil be used to calcualte the probabilites
Here are a few approaches to think about:

1. Use a 3x3 contigency table to get the marginal probabilities for each of the 9 possible outcomes. You will need approximately 50 of each defect type.

2. Just calculate the percent correct for each defect type and use the confidence interval around the binomial to get the proability for each defect class.

3. Do an MSA that where the same sample is categorized multiple times by the same operator. The study might look something like this

10 each low, medium and high defects
3 inspectors
3 repeats of each of the 30 defects

Score a 1 for a correct identification and 0 for wrong one. Each defect class will have 90 values.

Analyze by defect class and across defect class to get estimates of precision (repeatability and reproducibility).

:2cents:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
lanley liao How to understand correctly the section of 5.11 MOC in API Spec Q1? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 3
O How to give a score/yield more correctly to my suppliers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 12
lanley liao How to correctly understand the bullet list d) of 6.3 Analysis of Data for API Spec Q1 Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 7
L How to do the MSA correctly in the first time? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
M 7.6.3.1 Requirements for Capability to Perform Tests Correctly - Review of Records IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
J IEC60825 - Laser Safety - Calculating Maximum Permissible Exposure Correctly Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
Howard Atkins Are we Training Internal Auditors Correctly Internal Auditing 22
J Label Control - How to Correctly Control Labels we Print Ourselves Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
K About laboratory scopes published correctly from your accreditation body General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
P How to correctly calculate sigma level for production processes Six Sigma 2
M Sampling AQL - Am I understanding it correctly? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 2
J Thread gages -using the NOGO end correctly. General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 34
S Identifying Process Interactions Correctly - The key ones? All of them? TS16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
M How to Measure Concentricity Correctly Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 27
A Cpk Formula: Am I using it correctly? Excel .xls Spreadsheet form Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 14
B Need to know how to calibrate inch and metric gage blocks correctly. General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
Q Opportunities only derived from Risks? Detecting Risk & Opportunities in ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
Richard Regalado ISO 27001 A.10.4.1 - Detecting, Preventing and Recovering from Malicious Code Threats IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 3
P Difficulty in Detecting Within Lot Variation when using Zbar W (Normalize) Chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 14
K Seeking Methods of Detecting Microbe Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 10
Q Validation of X-RAY Process used in detecting voids in castings Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 9
M Recommendations for detecting "Triangle Effect" Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 11
ScottK Detecting non-visible defects in machined brass - Where to start? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 19