Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

Problem Resolution Report Monitoring - Customer complaint or PRR as general motors use

Hello Guys,
about customer complaint or PRR as general motors use, how can the company establish the target (maximum 2 complaints per month, 3 ....etc)? I´m in a new business, just starting with samples production, still haven´t ppap approved. But the monitoring are already being defined. So I don´t what should I consider.
Thanks.

John Predmore

Involved In Discussions
I suppose it depends on critical the product, how high the customer sets expectations, how far from expectations you operate. If you have a open relationship with your customer's buyer, you could ask what can a new supplier expect. That would be one input into your benchmark. Personally, I would set an initial target what I think is fair, for illustration let's say 10 in 6 months, and after 6, 12, 18 months reassess your track record and set the new target 10% lower than past performance so there is some reach in your target.

Jim Wynne

Super Moderator
Hello Guys,
about customer complaint or PRR as general motors use, how can the company establish the target (maximum 2 complaints per month, 3 ....etc)? I´m in a new business, just starting with samples production, still haven´t ppap approved. But the monitoring are already being defined. So I don´t what should I consider.
Thanks.
Are you a tier 1 supplier to GM? If not, you'll likely never see a PRR. If you're using PRR just as an example of customer complaints or rejections, I don't know why you would want to set an objective. You have to deal conscientiously with each one as they come up. If it appears that there's an excessive number of them, you will know that there are significant problems with your system that need to be dealt with.

Are you a tier 1 supplier to GM? If not, you'll likely never see a PRR. If you're using PRR just as an example of customer complaints or rejections, I don't know why you would want to set an objective. You have to deal conscientiously with each one as they come up. If it appears that there's an excessive number of them, you will know that there are significant problems with your system that need to be dealt with.
We supply directly to GM. PRR is one of their monitoring. So I was going to put a customer complaint target here. We are a subsidiary for our Chinese main company. So I was thinking of using their customer complaint average for the same products we produce here.

I suppose it depends on critical the product, how high the customer sets expectations, how far from expectations you operate. If you have a open relationship with your customer's buyer, you could ask what can a new supplier expect. That would be one input into your benchmark. Personally, I would set an initial target what I think is fair, for illustration let's say 10 in 6 months, and after 6, 12, 18 months reassess your track record and set the new target 10% lower than past performance so there is some reach in your target.
We´ll use monthly monitoring. So since we don´t have orders yet, just sample production, I was going to start with 1 maximum per month and then after our start of production, I could update this target.

Jim Wynne

Super Moderator
I thought this was a common monitoring for IATF 16949 quality management system. Isn´t it?
You can monitor without setting targets or objectives. As I said in an earlier post, you just deal with each one as it comes up and if the number seems excessive after a time, or seems like it might become excessive, you investigate and take action. My experience in dealing with GM was that many of their PRRs were wrong or or in some way misguided, so there might be things going on that you have no control over.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
we sell directly to the end user so we have a lot of experience with complaints and service events. we also monitor our equipment so we know when there is a defect/error even when the Customer doesn't call us. We don't really set goals as our 'goal' is zero...

We do use SPC to monitor the rates to know when we get worse or to ensure that we have made improvements. Much more useful than arbitrary goals.

Top Bottom