Problem solving activity - Three hours to fix the issue

Rush2608

Rushtam
If your manager tells you that you have only three hours to fix the issue on the manufacturing floor. How would you proceed? What tools you use or which route would you go to fix the issue?

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
I’ll use my approach on you:
Step 1: what is The Problem? In other words in simple words what is not right with what?

The basic approach is to state the Problem then work backwards to the causal mechanism. Along the way it may be possible to implement a containment that prevents the Problem from getting to the Customer in some way. But beyond that the exact tools and methods are based on the nature of the problem. Behavior based problems and physics based problems have very different tools.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Also - Have you actually visited the place where the problem is reported to be and observed the problem?

qualprod

Trusted Information Resource
If your manager tells you that you have only three hours to fix the issue on the manufacturing floor. How would you proceed? What tools you use or which route would you go to fix the issue?
It depends of what ... fix could have several meanings, to remove the problem or just "stop the bleeding".
There are things easy to solve , while others take too long..

Ed Panek

QA RA Small Med Dev Company
Leader
Super Moderator
Triple constraints can be applied to almost any solution. Pick two of the following three

Cheap
Fast
Good

You cant have all 3.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Triple constraints can be applied to almost any solution. Pick two of the following three

Cheap
Fast
Good

You cant have all 3.
I've always thought that this idea is superficial and a little silly. The best answers are the most direct ones, and they can indeed be relatively cheap, fast and good. A lot depends on the problem-solving skills of the individual. Some people who are assigned the task of solving a problem are likely to make things more complicated than they need to be, and perhaps make things worse.

Ed Panek

QA RA Small Med Dev Company
Leader
Super Moderator
It is silly but its important to ask "What is the most critical part of the project?"

Perfection is the enemy of good is another or paralysis by analysis

Top Bottom