Problem solving activity - Three hours to fix the issue

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
Triple constraints can be applied to almost any solution. Pick two of the following three

Cheap
Fast
Good

You cant have all 3.

In my experience this just an old trope. If you have good problem solving skills you can have all three. the same applies to R&D development - with good development tools and skills you can have all 3. I've done it now for 35 years.

Proud Liberal

Quite Involved in Discussions
If your manager tells you that you have only three hours to fix the issue on the manufacturing floor. How would you proceed? What tools you use or which route would you go to fix the issue?

Three hours seems like an unreasonable window based on the types of problems I've seen in my career (ie: an 8D type issue). To that, I would say updating your resume would be in order. But I guess it would depend on the type of problem you're attacking.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
Since we're already drifting off topic...
I would ask "What's it worth to you if I succeed? How much money is this costing the company per hour? Who else ya got to handle this?"

silentmonkey

Involved In Discussions
As many others have already said, it depends on the nature of the issue. I'll try to provide a serious response to the question.

My first priority, especially in such a short period of time, would be to apply containment. What can you do to protect the customer i.e. prevent the issue from being delivered into the field? This can be utilising the next batch of materials (if you have evidence it's batch-specific), performing added inspection, rework or some other workaround while the root of the problem is being investigated and a proper corrective action can be applied.

Root cause analysis and corrective action can take much longer than 3 hours depending on the nature of the issue so containment can buy you time.

Then there are various root cause analysis tools available such as 5 Whys, Ishikawa, or KT. I would say finding a root cause is usually the hardest part in problem solving. In saying that, don't forget about the other important aspects such as:
Problem Statement, Impact/Risk Assessment, Containment, Disposition, Corrective/Preventive Action and Effectiveness Check.

Good luck my friend, I hope you didn't get fired already.

Nishith Neema

Registered
If your manager tells you that you have only three hours to fix the issue on the manufacturing floor. How would you proceed? What tools you use or which route would you go to fix the issue?
The first important step will b define the problem by going to the actual place of occurence and getting the information baed on What, When,Where,Who,Why, How and How much. Having gathering premilary Investigation Use 5 Why technique to find the Root cause on root cause 1.to occur 2. Reason for not getting detected and outflow to customer. Answer for this help you in implementating system based correction so that problem never occur again.

Top Bottom